Reason to hope for better network coverage?

Discuss the best and worst companies and customer services in Chile including tips, tricks, rants, endorsements, and which businesses to avoid at all cost. If we talk about them frequently enough, we might just get the attention of the company. Help other Expats and Gringos find the good companies in Chile, and avoid the bad ones.
seawolf180

Reason to hope for better network coverage?

Post by seawolf180 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:26 pm

http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/164695/ ... 4g-network

Is there hope? Any Tech savey members care to break this article's numbers down?

Our Vomistar landline, WiFi, has become worthless. About to start the painful process of ending their "Service". Spanish parasites.

We are are using our devices and Entel 3G. Barely functional on busy weekends. As it appears to be on any given day in Stgo.
Slow, but ok, otherwise here in Pichilemu.
Don't Tread On Me Either.
crtv.com
conservativereview.com
Question Authority!

fraggle092

Re: Reason to hope for better network coverage?

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:01 pm

Data is metered on these services, which are mainly intended for mobile use. Movistar already have plans. When the allowed quota limit is reached, much slower data rates kick in.

http://www.movistar.cl/PortalMovistarWe ... 7AodHn0AFQ

You must be unlucky with your ADSL, I find I get pretty much what I pay for. Sure you dont have leechers on the wifi ?
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:10 pm

Movistar over sells and saturates their network in santiago. In Frutillar our network by comparison only gets clogged when summer invasion of people from santiago saturate our local tower. Rest of the year pretty good around the lake.

I have noticed a big dif after upgrading to a 4g phone. I suspect it has more to do with only a limited number of users so far on 4g,more than 4g is really all that much better.

We have a 17mb fiber at our office through telsur. Definetly better quality connection over our dsl. Cost the same as we were paying originally for a 1.5 mb dsl. We just had ask for the upgrade.

Likly the best thing you can do for any connection in chile is run your own catching name server. The isp name servers provided automatically by the isp on connection are nearly always slow and outdated. At least add something like googles name server for dns lookups.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:32 pm

4G really is better, it's a more efficient and flexible technology than 3G, both from the point of view of the user and also from the point of view of the networks, consuming fewer network resources. Any poor performance you're seeing (other than obvious congestion at events and holiday towns) is more likely due to traffic management. With an iPhone 5s and an Entel prepaid card I get 2Mbps download speed, which is a joke considering that the 5s is capable of dual carrier HSPA and max. 42Mbps. I've seen 29Mbps in Mexico in similar circumstances. The pathetically small prepaid data packages, 250MB max on Entel (+250 summer offer) just hammer the point home, pre-paid customers aren't wanted. I used to buy 2 and 3GB prepaid packages in Colombia and Venezuela.

The 700MHz LTE band is most likely intended for rural coverage and in-building penetration. I don't know what they intend for it but maybe for some kind of rural fixed wireless broadband.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:27 am

I did manage to get a 10 gig plan from movistar this time, but with 750 kbs speed. Better, but still sucks that they have no option beyond that when i hit the cap.

Really i have no real use for 10 gigs of data a month on my phone. Any heavy data moving i do by wifi. I use to have a 5 gig cap, and always seemed to run out towards the end of the month and get throttled fown to 56 kbs or whatever.

The 4g works good but the coverage is still pretty spotty around the country.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:36 am

Was not sure so i just tested the connection.
tmp_19685-1287915804.jpeg

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:37 am

Better than what they promissed me.

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:15 am

FrankPintor wrote:4G really is better, it's a more efficient and flexible technology than 3G, both from the point of view of the user and also from the point of view of the networks, consuming fewer network resources. Any poor performance you're seeing (other than obvious congestion at events and holiday towns) is more likely due to traffic management. With an iPhone 5s and an Entel prepaid card I get 2Mbps download speed, which is a joke considering that the 5s is capable of dual carrier HSPA and max. 42Mbps. I've seen 29Mbps in Mexico in similar circumstances. The pathetically small prepaid data packages, 250MB max on Entel (+250 summer offer) just hammer the point home, pre-paid customers aren't wanted. I used to buy 2 and 3GB prepaid packages in Colombia and Venezuela.

The 700MHz LTE band is most likely intended for rural coverage and in-building penetration. I don't know what they intend for it but maybe for some kind of rural fixed wireless broadband.
Yeah when I have movistar 4G its great, it works better in the campo than it does from my home in Puerto Varas. I have had to up my plan as was always running out of data about 4 days before end of my cycle, and when the throttled it was soooo slow it wasnt worth using. I have a local service for campo that uses wireless for 20lukas a month unlimited and we have an antenna right over the road so good speed. In General I find mobile data still bloody expensive in Chile.

FrankPintor

Post by FrankPintor » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:23 pm

Well, that's annoying, I got a post-paid Entel SIM card this morning and I still have just 2.3Mbps download on 3G with Speedtest. Grrr. The upload is actually faster, 2.7Mbps which is much more than the 250kbps I saw with the pre-paid card.

The 5GB Entel plan costs CLP 50k, which is an awful lot compared to a 2GB Claro Colombia prepaid data package for COP 41000, twice as much, basically, for worse service. "Bloody expensive" it is.
Caracas es Caracas. Lo demás es monte y culebra!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:53 am

whoooo, just found this out this morning. Let me illustrate just how out of date the ISP DNS servers are in Chile.

I moved the following domains over a month ago, to a new server with a new IP address.
this is what it should look like, using the google dns server 8.8.8.8 as an example.
[ ~]$ nslookup allnorthernchile.com 8.8.8.8
Server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: allnorthernchile.com
Address: 67.222.8.187
this is what is returned by movistar's DNS server, after almost a month of a new authoritative DNS record in the wild
[ ~]$ nslookup allnorthernchile.com
Server: 192.168.43.1
Address: 192.168.43.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name: allnorthernchile.com
Address: 67.222.12.179
Prime example of rotten DNS cache by a Chilean ISP (movistar). I would have never noticed on my office connection, because I run my own caching name server. I only found it because I happen to be out of the office on a movistar phone. I don't use those domains much, so never stopped to fully test them once I moved them.

So, besides loosing somewhere between 10 and 30 seconds, and sometimes more, on dns lookups, what you get back might not be what you should get. I have caught VTR regularly having this problem, and in fact many of the "perceived" problems (slow connections) by end users is directly related to the DNS servers the ISP used.

Now, 10 or 15 years ago let's say, an average web site might have just a few extra domains that needed to be looked up when you connect. Now with all the third-party advertising that goes on, there might be dozens of domains that need a dns lookup when you open a site. Everything from advertising to google tracking cookies.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:57 pm

The faster one is a VTR nameserver.
Telefonica does cache, but has v. low retention time. I ran this test a few hours ago and the query time did reduce a lot.
I did the same test with latercera.com and got 20-40 mS times on all.
Greenshot.jpg
Greenshot.jpg (55.03 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
Après moi, le déluge

buswell

Post by buswell » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:26 am

Hey guys I just wanted to say that this thread has been really useful for me to read and thanks for writing down this kind of stuff!

Useful for two things:
1. You actually mention Puerto Varas - where I am now
2. You mention Google DNS - which I've just started properly using today by coincidence.

I've spent the last year and a bit working remotely on Tourist visas in between Peru and Ecuador where I've found a few good hotels and shared apartments that I can return to (after finding many a bad one).
- Downside of shared internet connection is I can't pay for a good one and have to share with potential BitTorrenters
- Upside is I'm not tied to any ISP or area, I just up and leave

I've basically come to the conclusion from Peru and Ecuador that the best internet is on the Pan Americana and in between big cities as that's where the internet backbone must be.

Internet isn't that great where I am now but it's a Gringo hostel (so many other Gringos leeching no doubt!) so great to hear that good internet exists in Puerto Varas.

I can't believe I've only just actually read up on why to use Google DNS, really interesting that you guys have mentioned it here as haven't seen this mentioned on Peru or Ecuador's main expat forums!

Cheers for the help