In Chile and need help with tourist visa issue

Anything related to legal issues, immigration, problems, regulations, tax issues, or any other law or legal related problem in Chile. Moderated By A Chilean Attorney.

Moderator: Zvalenzuela

pascual

In Chile and need help with tourist visa issue

Post by pascual » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:57 pm

I've been in Chile for 75 days and was looking to extend my tourist visa for another 90 days. I went to the extranjeria in Santiago and hand the guy my passport, and he asks for my tourist card. I point him to the piece of paper that is stapled to the last page of my passport. Nope, that isn't the tourist card. Just a receipt that says I paid my reciprocity fee. He shows me what a tourist card does look like and I tell him I've never seen that in my life. A small white piece of paper stamped by PDI.

I know this may be hard to believe but I am a super organized person and I fail to see how I could have misplaced the most important document that was supposed to be given to me at the airport. Is there at all any possibility I wasn't given a tourist visa?

Hope someone can help me out here.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Re: In Chile and need help with tourist visa issue

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:08 pm

What did the dweeb at Extranjería say when you showed them the blue paper (this sounds like the tourist card though maybe they gave you the wrong copy)?

I'm confused about your entry. You cleared immigrations and customs at Anto? And you still had to pay the reciprocity fee?
Que será, será.

pascual

Post by pascual » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:15 pm

Honestly, I assumed the stapled piece of paper in my passport was my tourist card (my mistake) so I didn't even bring the blue paper. I only looked through my documents when I got home now and found this blue paper.

I gotta figure out if this blue paper is my tourist visa now before going back and waiting in line for another 2 hours.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:30 pm

you can get a tourist card from PDI, simple process. I have been here on more than one occasion without ever having been given one.

pascual

Post by pascual » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:39 pm

jamie_m wrote:you can get a tourist card from PDI, simple process. I have been here on more than one occasion without ever having been given one.
Thanks. I know I can visit PDI but I'd rather figure out if what I have is a tourist visa or not first. If you Google image "tarjeta de embarque chile" the first hit is a white LAN form that is exactly what I'm talking about, except mine is from Sky Airlines and baby blue.

I see the white tourist card in google images and it states how long your staying for. I was never once asked by anyone at PDI in Anto or Santiago how long I was planning on staying in Chile. Something I found weird at the time.

jamie_m

Post by jamie_m » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:42 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:54 pm

OK, looks like you filled out the form Chileans and neighbors fill out to enter Chile. Would be good to find out if this can serve as a tourist card for a non-Andean foreigner.

If you cleared immigrations and customs in Anto, there was no reason for them to direct you to the international arrivals area at SCL to pay the reciprocity fee and then clear immigrations again! You got scammed via idiocy of Sky employees.

You can obtain a new tourist card from the PDI. There should already be an entry stamp in your passport, flip through the pages to find it.
Que será, será.

pascual

Post by pascual » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:59 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:OK, looks like you filled out the form Chileans and neighbors fill out to enter Chile. Would be good to find out if this can serve as a tourist card for a non-Andean foreigner.

If you cleared immigrations and customs in Anto, there was no reason for them to direct you to the international arrivals area at SCL to pay the reciprocity fee and then clear immigrations again! You got scammed via idiocy of Sky employees.

You can obtain a new tourist card from the PDI. There should already be an entry stamp in your passport, flip through the pages to find it.
Now I'm more pissed off about the reciprocity fee. You think I can call my credit card company and try and get them to charge back? Its been almost three months though. And issuing a charge back against the Chilean government sounds like it may backfire against me if I ever plan on staying here even longer.

I'll go to PDI and let you guys know what they say on that blue paper. Tomorrow is a holiday so guess I'm stuck till Thursday.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:10 pm

pascual wrote:And issuing a charge back against the Chilean government sounds like it may backfire against me if I ever plan on staying here even longer.
Good point. And you would have ended up paying it anyways if you ever reentered Chile at SCL as a tourist. If you instead planned to enter Chile and immediately apply for residency, then you did indeed pay needlessly.
Que será, será.

pascual

Post by pascual » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:19 pm

Just in your honest opinion, is it too risky to try with a charge back or should I just bite my tongue on this? $132 USD is not chump change. If it will possibly affect residency and put me on PDI's shit list, then I wouldn't do it.

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:33 pm

In my 13 years here, I have never heard of someone trying this (a chargeback for reciprocity fee). Probably wouldn't work. Just be glad you donated to Chile and not Argentina.
Que será, será.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:50 pm

I would not even try. Wrestling money back from any government agency anywhere is more trouble than it is worth, but could ask the PDI at immigration and see what they say if you want. I am wondering why passengers on a flight from Lima who all went through Chilean immigration in Anto were required to show passports on arrival in Santiago? Did everyone from the flight go through immigration at SCL?