Verizon Iphone 5s

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
acfactor333

Verizon Iphone 5s

Post by acfactor333 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:40 pm

I am traveling to Chile this Friday for 12 days and I was wondering if I can purchase a phone and data plan with (and sim) that will be compatible with my Verizon Iphone 5s. My plan is to get a phone number and have Google voice link my local US number to the Chile number so I can text and call just using my google voice account. Any advise would be really appreciated, thanks!

peter

Re: Verizon Iphone 5s

Post by peter » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:52 am

Virgin Mobile is the easiest option.
Have been using it 2 years now ... last year with iPhone from Verizon.

jackandmax

Post by jackandmax » Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:28 pm

Verizon doesn't play well with others but you can pay Verizon a few dollars a minute for international service.
Go to the Verizon store in the US or just go with WiFi when you get here.
Verizon locks all of it's phones so they won't respond to the SIM card, at least that was the case as late as last fall.
Unless something has changed the SIM you buy down here won't give you a local number.
My friends with Verizon iPhones have not had any luck making them work. They have gone with local carriers and the phones they provide.

there are rumors of people to whom you can take your phone and have it modified but don't expect Verizon to let you back into the system in the US.
sorry

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:29 am

From experience, the iPhone 5s from Verizon is unlocked right out of the box. I have used it in 3 countries with local sim cards without any issue.

Well, the only issue really is trying to find somebody to cut the sim card down to size.... correctly. I had one idiot at Claro cut my sim the wrong way and had to go through the process of reassigning the old number to the new card. YMMV
"When ignorance reigns, life is lost." Zack de la Rocha
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:23 pm

I wouldn't rely on being able to forward your GV calls and texts to your Chilean number. What you can do is use the GV app to send text messages and use the Hangouts app to make and receive calls.....but that just requires data.

peter

Post by peter » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:46 pm

jackandmax: totally wrong.

Verizon iPhones works just fine with any chilean carrier. No unlocking needed. You just have to cut the SIM card. use your Verizon SIM as template and do it yourself with scissors. I would leave it to the guys in the store as snowbrd4life said.

Alos ripsigg is correct. Hangouts for receiving and making phone calls, Google Voice for texting. You cant forward GV clls to Chilean number.

Aguila Blanca

Post by Aguila Blanca » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:47 am

peter wrote:jackandmax: totally wrong.

Verizon iPhones works just fine with any chilean carrier. No unlocking needed. You just have to cut the SIM card. use your Verizon SIM as template and do it yourself with scissors. I would leave it to the guys in the store as snowbrd4life said.

Alos ripsigg is correct. Hangouts for receiving and making phone calls, Google Voice for texting. You cant forward GV clls to Chilean number.
Didn't work for my daughter when she came back from the U.S. with a Verizon iPhone. She now has a Chilean iPhone for use in Chile.

everyKris

Post by everyKris » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:47 pm

What about USA GSM unlocked iphone 5, will it be okay too? some country they block the usa market phones.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:44 pm

Tri or quad band unlocked GSM phones are Chile-ready.

Bring a cutter and get a Virgin Mobile chip.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:26 pm

Whilst in Santiasco past February, walked in the neighbourhood of the Hotel and found a Claro store.
Went in and showed my iphone, the young kid just took one of the sim card and inserted change the setting to
Spanish and minutes later I was "charging" it in the grocery store and many,many calls and texting whislt in Chile don't recall but it was pretty cheap now thinking.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.