GMO Foods in Chile

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
Dosedmonkey

Re: GMO Foods in Chile

Post by Dosedmonkey » Fri May 23, 2014 6:01 am

So everyones pro organic food now.

When GMO was new over a decade ago, it was hailed the future, modifying food so we can grow more, and grow it in more places.
Hell they can even grow drugs in deep swampy parts of the amazon that can't be policed the last couple of years.

And it has helped reduce world hunger, not just fill drug demand.

So I'm still lost, I'm healthy, and I don't know if I'm eating GMO. Is organic food really organic, or cross polinated with GMO naturally. And in the end only an excuse to charge you more cash?

I have seen organic supermarket some where recently... I get the feeling it was in Pedro Fontova, North Santiago. They probably have other shops in Santiago.

Look how great google is...
http://mercadoorganico.cl/

El Lechero

Post by El Lechero » Tue May 27, 2014 11:47 pm

Ayreos

Post by Ayreos » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:15 pm

Dosedmonkey wrote:So everyones pro organic food now.

When GMO was new over a decade ago, it was hailed the future, modifying food so we can grow more, and grow it in more places.
Hell they can even grow drugs in deep swampy parts of the amazon that can't be policed the last couple of years.

So I'm still lost, I'm healthy, and I don't know if I'm eating GMO. Is organic food really organic, or cross polinated with GMO naturally. And in the end only an excuse to charge you more cash?
Whenever i encounter this debacle i cannot refrain from sharing a few facts.

Fact #1: World hunger can be solved today, with conventional food sources.
Not only it can be solved, but it can be solved in multiple ways, as long as there is actual political will. GMO is about increasing production, not increasing food availability for the poor. The rationale is that by adopting GMO production increases and food prices decrease, thus increasing availability. This requires assuming that the 900 million starving or malnourished people can actually purchase food on international market prices, when their local agricultural sector is better off selling local produce on those same markets. And this is just the beginning, for a sobering view on the problem of world hunger this website shall suffice: http://www.stopthehunger.com/

Fact #2: "Organic Food" is just normal food.
This entails that what we call normal food is in fact abnormal, therefore potentially unhealthy. This has nothing to do with the organic food "products" out there. Buying food labelled "organic" and believing such label is the same kind of mistake which made organic food necessary in the first place. The concept of "organic food" is the idea that whoever sells you food doesn't have your best interest in mind and doesn't "know better" than you what is best for you. Therefore, organic food is food of which you know the exact source and exact growing and soil conditions, and all of which you recognize as normal and healthy for you. When this concept of organic became popular, the same industry which prioritized profits above their clients just applied its good old consumerist principles to it. Hence today organic food is yet another "fancy product". If you want to eat organic you will simply eat local and get to know your producers and their practices. That's all there is to it.

Fact #3: GMO food might be safe and they might be not. We simply CANNOT know before each single GMO modification has been in use for decades or more.
Again, that's all there is to it. A single protein modification in a food can cause untold health and environmental disruptions. This is a fact. Each natural food in the world has evolved in a natural environment for eons and each natural food to mankind has been tested and tried for centuries and millennia as well. The "fear of GMOs" is simply the fear of eating something that cannot have underwent the same extensive trial-by-use, which looks and tastes the same as food that has. This applies even if said GMOs have undergone extensive scientific trials, because there are countless cases of meds undergoing several double-blind trials, receiving FDA approval and then proving dangerous and damaging in the field.
Of course, there are types of GMOs that simply emulate natural cross-breeding results. Then how come breeding programs are not used instead? Also, regulating GMOs in a way that allows those and forbids the ones containing artificial genetic material is in practice unfeasible (the difference is often very blurry), which creates the all or nothing scenario the public opinion is currently struggling with. When you eat GMO you take an unnecessary risk, however small.
Finally, in light of the other points, do you think it is the world truly needing GMOs, or is it the companies selling them?

john

Post by john » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:01 pm

Ayreos wrote:
Dosedmonkey wrote:So everyones pro organic food now.

Whenever i encounter this debacle i cannot refrain from sharing a few facts.

Fact #1: World hunger can be solved today, with conventional food sources.
Not only it can be solved, but it can be solved in multiple ways, as long as there is actual political will. GMO is about increasing production, not increasing food availability for the poor. The rationale is that by adopting GMO production increases and food prices decrease, thus increasing availability. This requires assuming that the 900 million starving or malnourished people can actually purchase food on international market prices, when their local agricultural sector is better off selling local produce on those same markets. And this is just the beginning, for a sobering view on the problem of world hunger this website shall suffice: http://www.stopthehunger.com/

Fact #2: "Organic Food" is just normal food.
This entails that what we call normal food is in fact abnormal, therefore potentially unhealthy. This has nothing to do with the organic food "products" out there. Buying food labelled "organic" and believing such label is the same kind of mistake which made organic food necessary in the first place. The concept of "organic food" is the idea that whoever sells you food doesn't have your best interest in mind and doesn't "know better" than you what is best for you. Therefore, organic food is food of which you know the exact source and exact growing and soil conditions, and all of which you recognize as normal and healthy for you. When this concept of organic became popular, the same industry which prioritized profits above their clients just applied its good old consumerist principles to it. Hence today organic food is yet another "fancy product". If you want to eat organic you will simply eat local and get to know your producers and their practices. That's all there is to it.

Fact #3: GMO food might be safe and they might be not. We simply CANNOT know before each single GMO modification has been in use for decades or more.
Again, that's all there is to it. A single protein modification in a food can cause untold health and environmental disruptions. This is a fact. Each natural food in the world has evolved in a natural environment for eons and each natural food to mankind has been tested and tried for centuries and millennia as well. The "fear of GMOs" is simply the fear of eating something that cannot have underwent the same extensive trial-by-use, which looks and tastes the same as food that has. This applies even if said GMOs have undergone extensive scientific trials, because there are countless cases of meds undergoing several double-blind trials, receiving FDA approval and then proving dangerous and damaging in the field.
Of course, there are types of GMOs that simply emulate natural cross-breeding results. Then how come breeding programs are not used instead? Also, regulating GMOs in a way that allows those and forbids the ones containing artificial genetic material is in practice unfeasible (the difference is often very blurry), which creates the all or nothing scenario the public opinion is currently struggling with. When you eat GMO you take an unnecessary risk, however small.
Finally, in light of the other points, do you think it is the world truly needing GMOs, or is it the companies selling them?
Excellent points!
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

gyroid

Post by gyroid » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:32 pm

zer0nz wrote:GMO plants can be of benefit if used correctly, and that selectively changing 3 genes is more controlled than cross breeding and hoping for the best that is what happens now, and has been happening for centuries!
It's fun how people can't understand every apple/strawberry/whatever kind and even theirs dachshunds/chihuahuas are GMO.

The only difference is how the "best" genes were achieved: by mixing/breeding for years or by swapping DNA in a laboratory for a week.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:38 pm

gyroid wrote:
It's fun how people can't understand every apple/strawberry/whatever kind and even theirs dachshunds/chihuahuas are GMO.

The only difference is how the "best" genes were achieved: by mixing/breeding for years or by swapping DNA in a laboratory for a week.
Well, what you wrote does not seem right:
Genetic engineering as the direct manipulation of DNA by humans outside breeding and mutations has only existed since the 1970s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_engineering
I am not sure how you breed a tomato with a fish.
An early tomato was developed that contained an antifreeze gene (afa3) from the winter flounder

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneticall ... ied_tomato

gyroid

Post by gyroid » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:50 pm

Whatever the mix - it just produces new chemicals. New sort of apples could contain new chemicals too. It will just be not as crazy for your perception as a tomato-fish blend.

Your bioreactor called stomach will disassemble them, your liver will filter the bad ones. Humans are migrating omnivores armed with bacteria colonies in their bodies, so they don't care about new compounds for thousands of years.

Ayreos

Post by Ayreos » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:52 pm

gyroid wrote:Whatever the mix - it just produces new chemicals. New sort of apples could contain new chemicals too. It will just be not as crazy for your perception as a tomato-fish blend.

Your bioreactor called stomach will disassemble them, your liver will filter the bad ones. Humans are migrating omnivores armed with bacteria colonies in their bodies, so they don't care about new compounds for thousands of years.
Are you saying that your bioreactor can "disassemble" every kind of plant your teeth might be able to chew? I would like to see you taste a dozen australian plants without getting badly poisoned in the process! It's a nonsensical point. Some plants are bitter and this signals to you that the plant is unlikely to be edible, however there exists a number of plants having both a pleasant taste and terrible venomous proprieties. It is human populations which adapt and cultivate given plants in a specific environment according to multiple trials and experiences. In fact, the quickest and sometimes most reliable way to date a human skeleton in the archaeological record is to observe the presence of cavities, which were virtually unknown in the period preceding the wide adoption of agriculture. Cultivation of early forms of wheat allowed primitive humans to transition from sporadic tubers with low energy density to the enormous energy density of grains, which is credited with the birth of modern civilization itself. The archaeological record, however, shows that humans took thousands of years to adapt to the new diet. Not only the presence of cavities became widespread, but the early generations of agriculturists were considerably smaller and physically weaker than their hunter-gatherer ancestors.

Whenever you eat a GMO or an industrially processed product you become one of those "early generations" of guinea pigs for the human race, potentially harming yourself in ways which you won't notice for decades, or which, perhaps, won't be noticed until you have become part of the archaeological record yourself.

gyroid

Post by gyroid » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:36 pm

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonentine/2 ... eal-study/ another one modern study

By the way, organic sometimes is worse for overall ecosystem while it has no significant health benefits. ;)
Ayreos wrote:Whenever you eat a GMO or an industrially processed product you become one of those "early generations" of guinea pigs for the human race, potentially harming yourself in ways which you won't notice for decades, or which, perhaps, won't be noticed until you have become part of the archaeological record yourself.
I don't care. The possible risk is on a margin of error for my health. Pollution, excessive sitting and eating non-balanced diet kill dozens times faster then some barely noticeable new-food-effect.

mem

Post by mem » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:16 pm

This is an old thread, but here is an update as someone living in the south of Chile trying to avoid GMO stuff and stuff that eats GMO stuff

Less than 0.1 million hectares are used in Chile to grow GMO. That as opposed to the US which is using 62.5 MIllion hectares or Argentina that is using 21 million hectares, or Brazil using 15.8 million hectares. Paraguay uses 2.7 million hectares. Uruguay uses 0.7 million million hectares. Bolivia 0.6 millions hectares

Of this GMO cultivation, the following crops are being grown on them (more or less the same for the previously listed South American countries)

The vast majority of GMO crops grown in Chile are
1) Corn
2) Soy
3) Canola

So my family, we don't eat corn at all and if we get soy sauce we make sure it comes from Europe where Soy is non-GMO. We also don't eat canola at all. We use coconut and avocado oil only for cooking.

The one thing that is gaping hole in our desire to avoid GMO is that we eat a lot of beef and chicken. Supposedly, if a cow is eating corn the glyphosate gets into their meat. When I buy beef at the supermarket here, I generally have a choice of getting beef from these countries
1) Chile
2) Paraguay
3) Brazil
4) Argentina
5) Uruguay (sometimes)

Another issue is eggs. We eat a lot of eggs. I think it is probably more likley that Chickens are getting corn/grain fed which is almost certainly GMO. So we always buy the most expensive eggs we can find in the store, the ones that are supposedly free-range eggs and cost 2600-3000 CLP for a dozen. We just don't have any other options aside from getting our own chickens and making a coop and making sure they only eat bugs and stuff. We will definitely be doing that anyway so eggs are a solvable problem

The one brightspot is that many of these south american countries grass-feed their beef, not because they are health conscious but its cheaper to just let the cows eat grass than buying massive amounts of corn/grain based feed. You can also ID grassfeed beef pretty easy cause it has a lot more meat and a lot less fat marbling.
So my preferred sources for beef are Chile and Uruguay. Sometimes I will get beef from Paraguay. But I almost always avoid Brazil and Argentina

Back to the general topic of GMO in Chile, yes, supposedly they dont allow GMO products that are grown in Chile to be sold in Chile, but I wouldn't assume they are fastidious about it. I think it is wiser to avoid the products that are known to be GMO regardless, which at least in my families case are things we avoid anyway and don't really miss.

As I mentioned Corn, Soy, Canola make up the vast majority of the Chile GMO's...now lets address those that make up the minorities

Alfalfa - 0.08 hectares in Santiago and Bio Bio, 0.05 hectares Araucania
Safflower - 65 hectares in Santiago
Barley - 0.07 hectares in Arauacnia
Beet - 1.712 hectares in Bio Bio
Tomato - 0.3 hectares in Valparaiso

Those numbers are from 2008-2009 growing season. The only one that my family would eat is Tomato's, but happily we are nowhere near the tiny GMO crop of tomatoes in Valparaiso, but if you live there you might be concerned.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:30 pm

Regarding the beets, Chile produced sugar (one shouldn't be consuming much if any at all if truly health conscious) are from beets which may be GMO cross contaminated.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Interesting, just checked out the Monsanto site:

http://www.monsanto.com/whoweare/pages/chile.aspx

and don't forget their merger buddy Bayer:

http://www.bayer.cl/productos/agricultura.html
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat