Is there Poison Ivy or Poison Oak or anything similar?

General topics related to Living in Chile
ChileTime

Is there Poison Ivy or Poison Oak or anything similar?

Post by ChileTime » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:18 am

In Chile, is there Poison Ivy or Poison Oak or any similar plants that I should be aware of & stay away from?

frozen-north

Re: Is there Poison Ivy or Poison Oak or anything similar?

Post by frozen-north » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:23 am

ChileTime wrote:
In Chile, is there Poison Ivy or Poison Oak or any similar plants that I should be aware of & stay away from?
The one I have been told about, 'el litre':

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:45 am

There are fat, large green and yellow caterpillars with bristly fur and when you pick them up, the tiny spines in their bristles penetrate your hand and it stings for about 30 minutes. I was trying to move it from a high traffic area to a safer place.

And all sorts of spiny plants that hurt when you step on them. Their spines are like little daggers and go through rubber. And then there are burrs that stick into you and are unpleasant.

And then there is the experience of backing into a cactus. It is hard to sit down for a while after that.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:09 pm

frozen-north wrote:
ChileTime wrote:
Hmm, interesting. I don't know if that was the cause of the rash I had on my arm a few years back, but it lasted for weeks.

CPATX

Post by CPATX » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:29 pm

Poison Oak and Poison Ivy are part of the Sumac family. The allergic reaction is caused by the urushiol oil. I am so allergic to this stuff, that just looking at it sends me to the ER. I get massive outbreaks a few times a year and even Prednisone can barely suppress it. It is also the only green stuff that truly flourishes in Texas.

From what I know, Poison Oak and Ivy are not present in Chile. Most of the Sumac family is up in North America and Mexico. I am so done with this stuff that I am not moving anywhere where it is present abundantly. Of course, I am sure that Chile has its own share of nasty plants and critters.

mlightheart

Post by mlightheart » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:15 pm

mlightheart wrote:
frozen-north wrote:
ChileTime wrote:
Hmm, interesting. I don't know if that was the cause of the rash I had on my arm a few years back, but it lasted for weeks.
There might have been a tree or trees like that around the yard. It was during the winter that I got the rash.
Just thinking about it makes me look at my arm. :-?

john

Post by john » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:27 pm

CPATX wrote:

It is also the only green stuff that truly flourishes in Texas.
:lol:
One must care about a world one will not see.
--- Bertrand Russell

Hikerki

Post by Hikerki » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:56 pm

Yep...litre is a tree that has the same effects...don't touch the leaves. I am allergic to poison ivy, but I don't know about this tree...I am not interested in finding out, though! Here, my husband and friends have a joke. When you enter the campo where there is litre you say "buenas tarde señor litre!" :D