Expat Community in Curacavi

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
ChileTime

Expat Community in Curacavi

Post by ChileTime » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:18 pm

My brother-in-law has an interest in this community development for expats:
http://www.ilovechile.cl/2013/10/04/lat ... kend/93449
I am going to check it out for him, but thought I'd try to get some opinions here.
I am not sure, but hopefully it is OK to discuss on the forum.

Does anyone know anything about this development?
What are the pros/cons of purchasing in such a community?
What do you know about the Curacavi area? weather? water availability/security?
Any other things I should be aware of or look for in researching this development?

Clearly some of the pros I can see are that it would be nice to move to Chile & be a part of an expat community to make the transition living here easier & having security for the community would make your property safer if you want to leave or travel around sometimes. It would also be nice to build your own home so that you can build what you want & to the standards you desire.

The location looks nice- being in the country but also very close to Santiago & Vina. My brother was looking at another community to be developed near Talca, but would prefer closer proximity to Santiago & Vina.

A quick search on some of the classified sites for land in the Curacavi area makes the price of $400K for 20-30 acres look fairly reasonable, but maybe a little on the high side. This could be justified depending upon the water resources available & quality of the lots. And if they are able to return the investment as stated, that would clearly justify the price. Might be too good to be true, though.

My concerns are:
1) I do not know much about developments in Chile, but in the USA, you have to be very careful that the developer will carry out the plans & do so in a timely fashion. Thus, I would have the same concerns here. Is there any way to ensure the plans are carried out in a timely fashion?
2) How does the developer plan to return the $400K investment to the Founding members? And when? And how is this guaranteed?
3) Will the developer provide the water/power/phone/internet infrastructure up to the lots? When? And how can we be sure this is guaranteed?
4) Water availability or scarcity. I read an article on the Curacavi area from 2010 stating they were attempting to dam the river nearby & that would deprive the local farms of the water needed for crops. Not sure what the outcome of that was or if the water availability continues to be in jeapardy due to river damming & sending the water to Santiago or Vina.
5) Is the area afffected by the smog from Santiago?
6) Will my brother be able to get permits to build on his lot? What does that entail? What permits are necessary? And what restrictions are there for what he can build on the lot (restrictions from the community itself & from the local building authorities)? What are the costs for permits? Will he be required to use specailized labor to build or can anyone do the building & water/electrical/phone/internet installations once the plans are approved? What approvals will be necessary after the structures are completed?
7) I just started this list of things to consider, but if you can think of any other concerns, please let me know!

Thanks for any info you can provide!

zer0nz

Re: Expat Community in Curacavi

Post by zer0nz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:22 pm

as per my last post alcohol to care factor is very much no existence... not going to read everything

the operators are "#$%&/( and making fools of themselves in the expat community!

keep away!

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:51 pm

search there was a very long thread on this community last year............ one thought was the structure which is very NA wouldn't fly in Chile as it appeared........ so the founders are giving their money to the developer....... also it hasn't met most of the targets they set, maybe they didn't buy the property... yet........ one question was where was the water coming from?
It's all about the wine.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:09 pm

nwdiver wrote:search there was a very long thread on this community last year............ one thought was the structure which is very NA wouldn't fly in Chile as it appeared........ so the founders are giving their money to the developer....... also it hasn't met most of the targets they set, maybe they didn't buy the property... yet........ one question was where was the water coming from?
the 6 wells on there property? have you not read the website? 6 wells? i mean? really? it woudl be great if it wasnt for the fucked up idea of the place :)

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:14 pm

Two projects there, one run by a group who knows little about actually living in Chile and possibly Chile in general and the other by a guy running a pay for your own work visa + $3000 scheme.

As a veteran of LFC Costa Rica, this $#!+, like the record of all so-called "freedom" projects in developing countries, smells like a fish meal plant.

But all must do what they feel is "right", ya know free will and all...
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:24 pm

Really, this whole foreigner exclusive (with token native locals sprinkled about in one of the two projects) communty in Chile thing went out with Colonia Dignidad. Chile does not operate that way. Chile whether it is obvious or not expects you to become Chilean over time while embracing your group's positive contributions and additions to Chilean society.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:35 am

dont know what you think you were linking to, but dont do it.

any expat real estate projects of that nature are off limits on this forum.

we want nothing directly or indirectly to do with them.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.