Pokemon or Yugioh in Chile?

General topics related to Living in Chile
Home'sCoolMom

Pokemon or Yugioh in Chile?

Post by Home'sCoolMom » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:44 pm

Hi, All!

Just curious to know if kids in Chile play or trade Pokemon or Yugioh cards. My sons love to play and trade them and have some cards in Spanish, too. For sure, our immediate family in Chile doesn't use them.

Thanks!
-HSM

griffin

Re: Pokemon or Yugioh in Chile?

Post by griffin » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:20 pm

I know Pokemon is a thing. My kids have picked up a few cards discarded on the playground by other children, and they are curious about it.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:45 pm

pokemones is also the name given to the drug using teenages dressed in black that hang out by los leones metro... just saying http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokem%C3%B3n_(subculture)

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:36 pm

It was popular 15 years ago when my son was 10-11 years old and I thought it had died off, but walking through a Vancouver mall last week the food court was jammed with Asian Kids playing, it must me one of thoue retro things coming back. Sorry no help for Chile......
It's all about the wine.

Home'sCoolMom

Post by Home'sCoolMom » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:28 pm

griffin wrote:I know Pokemon is a thing. My kids have picked up a few cards discarded on the playground by other children, and they are curious about it.
Your kids can learn more about it here: http://www.pokemon.com/us/tv-episodes/pokemon-episodes/

-HSM

Home'sCoolMom

Post by Home'sCoolMom » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:32 pm

nwdiver wrote:It was popular 15 years ago when my son was 10-11 years old and I thought it had died off, but walking through a Vancouver mall last week the food court was jammed with Asian Kids playing, it must me one of thoue retro things coming back. Sorry no help for Chile......
Yeah, it's very popular here, too. My son started a Pokemon club where kids can trade and battle with each other every week :D

If in Chile kids don't play it, sad. But that's okay. My kids were just curious to know! :wink:

Thanks everyone!

-HSM

picalena

Post by picalena » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:34 pm

I just checked with pl-ito. He is 13 and has been in school here for 3 years now, so I figured he might know what the kids are in to. Keep in mind that all schools here are K - 12, so he knows what is going on in all grades.

Pokemon and Yugioh he has never seen here. In fact, he says that he hasn't seen any kind of trading cards in Chile. Not even baseball or futbol cards. We did notice in April or so, when we were in Temuco - "the big city" for us - that they had Magic the Gathering cards in the Lider checkout line, so maybe those are popular here. But he has never seen them at school. Note they were in Spanish, so not sure if that makes a difference. Obviously check and see if things are different in the cities, because where we live things are pretty hard to come by, so maybe those things aren't here, but the kids here have boatloads of money to spend, so you would think they would have them anyway, even if they had to get them from Temuco or Santiago. And they do all seem to have all the stuff from Santiago.

Things that are popular and that would merit bringing from the states --
1) Legos - stupid expensive here, and people pay lots of money for them. Bring these and your kids can sell them or trade for things and do very well economically.
2) Angry birds - anything and everything. Shirts, decals, koozies, water pipes, etc. :shock:
3) Video games - I would go with Nintendo or the small personal games, since they are small and worth a lot of money. I seriously can't believe the kind of money people spend on these things. Some kid at pl-ito's school had a PSP taken up in class. The kid was in second grade or something. I am not suggesting bringing consoles, I am suggesting bringing game cartridges. Go to one of those used game places and get used games and bring them here; your kids will be instant heroes.
4) Comic books - DC, Marvel, anything major super hero. I know that pl-ito spends a lot of money on Condoritos and Barrabases, and the comics he brings from the states are like gold here, seriously.
5) Skateboarding paraphenalia. "Skate" is king here. The kids ride the wrong way down the bypass in the morning before dawn with no protective gear. They have taken over the Unimarc covered parking. Anything skateboard related is big here.

Hope this was helpful. Would be curious to see if cards are big elsewhere in Chile.

Cheers,
pl
A woodsman was once asked, “What would you do if you had just five minutes to chop down a tree?” He answered, “I would spend the first two and a half minutes sharpening my axe.” - Dubious source on the internet

Home'sCoolMom

Post by Home'sCoolMom » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:49 pm

Thank you, Picalena! That is awesome info! My kids are natural entrepreneurs, so this is a good tip for business :-)

I imagine the comic books would have to be in Spanish for little Chileans to enjoy it, right?

Riyko

Post by Riyko » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:49 am

The only people i know in Chile who like pokemon/yugioh don't play the card games, but they collect the cards, video games and merchandise (mainly for pokemon they make merchandise for adults over in Japan). I only know this because I used to collect pokemon toys and sold a fair share of them to the collectors i know in Chile who don't have access to getting the US toys elsewhere *is a geek*
"por la muestra se conoce el paño"