New here!

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Leeuh3654

New here!

Post by Leeuh3654 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:59 pm

Hey, I just wanted to say that this is a great forum and I found it today after arriving home from the Extranjeria here in Santiago and looking for more info about visas, etc. You all know how it is. This seems like THE place to be online if you're an extranjero in Chile, and everyone seems intelligent, which is a nice change from some forums I have been on...:D I would really like to be a part of this, learning and hearing about other people's experiences in Chile, as well as helping when I can. I'm going to be here for an entire year, so I'll be crossing borders and dealing with those scary officials, and may need advice. Hehe.

Laura55llc

Post by Laura55llc » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:58 pm

Welcome!

RWS

Re: New here!

Post by RWS » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:33 pm

Leeuh3654 wrote:. . . . I'm going to be here for an entire year . . . .
Undergraduate, or research for a thesis? Which universities?

In either case, welcome for the year.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:42 pm

welcome to the forum.

Leeuh3654

Post by Leeuh3654 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:41 pm

Thanks for the welcome, and no, no thesis-writing for me. I'm only 18 and am taking a year off before going to college. My boyfriend is Chilean and couldn't come back to the U.S. this year, so I'm here teaching English to niños and traveling until school starts next fall :)

RWS

Post by RWS » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:15 am

Have you given any thought to matriculating at a Chilean university?

Leeuh3654

Post by Leeuh3654 » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:39 pm

RWS wrote:Have you given any thought to matriculating at a Chilean university?
I'd love to, but my parents weren't supportive of my temporary move to Chile and my dad said he would never pay for an education university here. He has the idea that everything that is Latin American is crap :roll:
eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:I would plan for the scenario where you don't want to return. :)
Believe me, my friends and family had to beg me to come back last summer, and I was only here for 30 days :D

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:19 am

My big brother came to Chile about 15 years ago for 1 semester to study Spanish while he was a student at U.C.Berkley. He is still here, owns one of the most successful language schools in Chile, and is married to a Chilean.

Me, I came to bring him back and you see how well that went. I ended up running a business that promotes Chile and I am married to a Chilean also. I did not just arbitrarily pick Chile either. I tried at least 25 countries before I was certain that this is it.

Surrender!!!!!!!!

As for the schools in Chile, the University of Chile was ranked one of the top schools in the World a few years ago and graduates most of the presidents and politicians in the country. My wife graduated from the Law school. Yea, there are a lot of low quality Universities in Chile like everywhere, but there are good schools.

She currently teaches at the Law School at the Austral University in Valdivia. She is really impressed with the money they are dumping in to facilities, research, and recruiting top experts (both Chilean and international). Lots of students from Santiago are going there, and lots of professors that want a more relaxed life are moving South to Valdivia to get away from Santiago with their families.

Also like everywhere it depends on what you want to study. Just because a school is viewed or ranked as a "good" school overall, does not mean they are good at what you want to study. Even in your field, a couple of experts in a department kick the bucket and the department may no longer be at the top of the game. Someone cuts the research facility budget, and the library no longer has the materials you need. So, "good" schools are very relative.

I use to transfer from university to university as an excuse to travel around the World.

I have been to some of the worse schools in the World and the best. The funny thing is the ones that were being ranked as the best in the World in my field (philosophy of artificial intelligence and language) and other fields, I thought sucked the most (Europe). I found myself calling old profs from little departments at obscure State Universities in the U.S. to help me with my master thesis, because the local over paid experts in my field knew nothing about my topic and the research facilities had none of the books or journals I needed. I was having old teachers mail me copies of books from their library to complete my thesis.

In general I would say go to Europe for undergraduate work however, and the States for Graduate school. Again, depends on what you want to do.

Get out and travel now, whatever you study. Far better education for the money, than any school in the World.

RWS

Post by RWS » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:25 am

admin wrote:. . . . Just because a school is viewed or ranked as a "good" school overall, does not mean they are good at what you want to study. . . . In general I would say go to Europe for undergraduate work however, and the States for Graduate school. . . .
Good advice.

Leeuh3654

Post by Leeuh3654 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:37 am

I would kill to study in various foreign countries. But I'm forced to study in the U.S. because of the expense and because my dad says so. Sigh. My only ray of hope is that my major (international studies/relations) will probably require that I study abroad.

STORKLADY53

new to site

Post by STORKLADY53 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:38 am

Hi, new to this site. Planning to move to Chile in the coming months. Have visited Chile 2 x's in the past yr. Hubby is Chilean but has lived in US since '74. We plan to live on the coast.
Any groups of expats from US living in Santiago? I know I will need my fix of Americans from time to time.
Also am a homebirth midwife...and from my research...looks like Chile is really awful as far is natural birth goes. Any input on that? May try and open a little clinica and deliver babies there. Hubby is a pediatrician too and will be practicing as well.

STORKLADY53

site admin

Post by STORKLADY53 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:45 am

Just read your post. Wow both you and your brother ended up in Chile and married Chileans. Neat. My hubby graduated from the University of Chile with his degree in medicine back in '73. Said it was THE best school in the world and that he got THE best medical training possible. He then came to the States and did his residency in neonatal medicine and ended up staying here. Now he wants to go home...and I am planning to go with him. Life is strange for sure. I really liked my two trips down this past year, but never imagined that we would move there. Still adjusting to it all.