small smooth-skinned avacodos that don't taste too good raw

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
thisisreallycomplicated

small smooth-skinned avacodos that don't taste too good raw

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun May 19, 2013 4:14 am

I got a bunch of these small avacado's, and I just tried eating one, and it wasn't too good raw. It kind of reminded me of raw pumpkin. So I'm trying to figure out what they're called, and what I need to do to make them taste better. They look like these:
http://www.themijachronicles.com/wp-con ... riollo.jpg
so maybe they're called criollo avacados?

I had a dried pepper, so I mixed it with some pepper seeds. And then it wasn't so bad. But I'm wondering, what does everyone else do with these?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

frozen-north

Re: small smooth-skinned avacodos that don't taste too good

Post by frozen-north » Sun May 19, 2013 9:15 am

"Negra de la cruz": Es un miembro raro de la familia de los aguacates, a causa de su piel lisa de tono negro carbón o púrpura. Es de tamaño mediano y procede de Chile, donde se cosecha desde mediados de marzo hasta finales de septiembre. Su comercio trasciende las fronteras chilenas.

http://www.frutas-hortalizas.com/Frutas ... acate.html
May be...???? All the other references I saw talk of 'piel verde' o 'verde amarillenta'.

http://www.viverosbrokaw.com/aguacate_variedades.html

http://www.californiaavocado.com/variedades/

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun May 19, 2013 9:20 am

I have a tree full of those in the back garden. I have no idea what they are called but we don't eat them as we don't like the taste. I bag them and leave them out for the cartoneros who go by early of give some to a neighbour, who likes them. She says she eats them with the skin and all.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun May 19, 2013 8:00 pm

frozen-north wrote:

"Negra de la cruz": Es un miembro raro de la familia de los aguacates, a causa de su piel lisa de tono negro carbón o púrpura. Es de tamaño mediano y procede de Chile, donde se cosecha desde mediados de marzo hasta finales de septiembre. Su comercio trasciende las fronteras chilenas.

http://www.frutas-hortalizas.com/Frutas ... acate.html
May be...???? All the other references I saw talk of 'piel verde' o 'verde amarillenta'.

http://www.viverosbrokaw.com/aguacate_variedades.html

http://www.californiaavocado.com/variedades/
I didn't see it there. These are pretty small, thin, and black, with large pits. And they're kinda stringy inside.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun May 19, 2013 8:12 pm

Donnybrook wrote:I have a tree full of those in the back garden. I have no idea what they are called but we don't eat them as we don't like the taste. I bag them and leave them out for the cartoneros who go by early of give some to a neighbour, who likes them. She says she eats them with the skin and all.
Do you know if she eats them raw? Or if she mixes them with something? The skins are probably really good for you, if they're not loaded with pesticides. And I think the dark green part of avocados, right next to the skin, are supposed to have the most antioxidants.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun May 19, 2013 8:28 pm

It could be these.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun May 19, 2013 9:09 pm

It could be those in the link. My neighbour also brings some from her parent's parcela in La Calera when she visits. They are 100% organic as they don't use any pesticides on the parcela. She eats them raw with a bit of lemon and salt.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun May 19, 2013 9:47 pm

Donnybrook wrote:It could be those in the link. My neighbour also brings some from her parent's parcela in La Calera when she visits. They are 100% organic as they don't use any pesticides on the parcela. She eats them raw with a bit of lemon and salt.
Thanks, I'll try that. I have a lemon tree, and they're really good lemons.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun May 19, 2013 11:15 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:It could be those in the link. My neighbour also brings some from her parent's parcela in La Calera when she visits. They are 100% organic as they don't use any pesticides on the parcela. She eats them raw with a bit of lemon and salt.
Thanks, I'll try that. I have a lemon tree, and they're really good lemons.
Try a little bit. I don't want to be responsible for your upset tummy!

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon May 20, 2013 12:32 am

The insides mixed with lemon worked. I didn't try the salt. I also tried the skins with lemon, but they still need something if they're going to be edible. Maybe that's what the salt's for? Or maybe they're an acquired taste? Anyway, I'll definitely buy them again, now that I know what to do with them. Thanks.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Mon May 20, 2013 12:47 am

I guess that you are not the only one asking:

Huh? I just asked for recipes using Negra de la Cruz avocados. They’ve shown up on one of our trees and I can’t find recipes using them anywhere.

Reply:

I use these a lot in salads since they can be a little stringy and have a more watery texture. Chileans love eating them with sliced celery drizzled with olive oil, lemon juice, and salad. The buttery-crunchy contrast works great with lots of meats from chicken to steak.

http://eatwineblog.com/2009/06/30/avocado-101-part-i/
It's good that Donnybrook knew already what to do with them.