World's 10 most loved cities: #3 Santiago

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
Fugger

World's 10 most loved cities: #3 Santiago

Post by Fugger » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:39 pm

1531 pacta sunt servanda

admin
Site Admin

Re: World's 10 most loved cities: #3 Santiago

Post by admin » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:11 pm

Seriously?

I mean all for promoting Chile, but not sure Santiago would even realistically make my top 100 favourite cities in the World, setting the country context aside. Obviously the people at cnn do not get out much.
There are bigger Carnivals and Tango festivals on the other side of the Andes, but would Buenos Aires or Rio look nearly this poised after being rocked 28 centimeters to the left by an 8.8 earthquake?

Santiago may have smog, sprawl and an epidemic of noisy diesel engines, but what sequestered megalopolis on an economic rebound in an otherwise picturesque valley lined with mountains doesn’t?

More importantly, here is South America’s version of every fine North American left coast city -- except with nicer weather (than Vancouver), happier music (than Seattle), sexier cafés (than Portland), better bar hours and caipirinha prices (than L.A.) and cooler-looking people in gray suits and shades (than San Francisco).

No surprise then that The New York Times ranked Santiago numero uno on last year’s “41 Places To Go” list, and also made it the first international Lollapalooza music festival site outside the United States.

August bonus: if you wanna go heli-skiing for US$200 in the middle of summer (sorry, winter) at a quality ski resort an hour outside of town, no other city can hook you up this quickly and cheaply.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:38 pm

All you people who are so rude about Santiago don't actually live here. :) I rest my case.

xpat

Post by xpat » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:53 pm

admin wrote:Seriously?

I mean all for promoting Chile, but not sure Santiago would even realistically make my top 100 favourite cities in the World, setting the country context aside. Obviously the people at cnn do not get out much.
I guess it all depends what CNN's definition of 'loved city' is. Placing Cape Town (AD 2012) as #9 or Shanghai as #2 makes me wonder...

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:38 pm

A couple of forced visits a year are all that are needed for reasonable and quick-learning persons to conclude that Santiasco is not a place to live, but rather a place to acquire lung disease and a truncated lifespan.
Tourists! :roll:

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:53 pm

patagoniax wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:
A couple of forced visits a year are all that are needed for reasonable and quick-learning persons to conclude that Santiasco is not a place to live, but rather a place to acquire lung disease and a truncated lifespan.
Tourists! :roll:
Visiting financial and government offices. Hardly what you'd call tourism. Not unlike a visit to Kabul whilst locked and loaded, or other places we don't go for fun. Sort of the anti-tourist.
Ah, a paper chaser.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:10 pm

admin wrote:Seriously?
... sexier cafés (than Portland),...

Hmmm.... and they even have legs...

MarcusR

Post by MarcusR » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:13 am

Ja, they come out with a Top 10 Cities list every 2 weeks or so...

I don't think I've ever read a list that doesn't appear written by a romantic wearing rose tinted glasses
traveling from the comfort of his/her armchair and through the Internet connection.
There was a lull but right now [Jordan] is booking really strongly,” notes British adventure outfit, Explore Worldwide, Ltd., which runs trips to Petra.
Thank goodness we've got Explore Worldwide, Ltd. for their unbiased and independent opinions about the safety of exploring around the Middle East right now.

Petra, a city, really?

Bon Voyage.

La_Tini

Post by La_Tini » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:44 am

All you people who are so rude about Santiago don't actually live here.
Exactly. And it´t so weird they spend their time bashing Santiago. Personally, I would never ever want to live in La Serena or Puerto Varas, but I wouldn´t post long comments about their dullness every time someone in this forum considers moving there:)

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:50 am

Well, some of us actually lived there for years before moving away though I am not nearly as scathing as some others. I mean I do need someplace big to go to for an occasional supply run. :mrgreen:
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Fugger

Post by Fugger » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:56 am

Donnybrook wrote:All you people who are so rude about Santiago don't actually live here. :) I rest my case.
Actually, I do live in Santiago. I don't have strong opinions about Santiago (neither positive nor negative), I just view the city a slightly boring and bland, certainly not making any Top10 list.
1531 pacta sunt servanda

Andres

Post by Andres » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Fugger wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:I don't have strong opinions about Santiago (neither positive nor negative), I just view the city a slightly boring and bland, certainly not making any Top10 list.
After only 3.5 months, I agree.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.