pros and cons of Chicureo

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
dfjordan

pros and cons of Chicureo

Post by dfjordan » Wed May 23, 2012 4:49 pm

We are thinking about moving out to Chicureo, for the space more than anything, and appreciate that one disadvantage is the time and cost of getting into Santiago, but we can't expect to have closeness and space at the same time. I see there are a load of houses 2-5 years old for sale and would like to know why that is. I obviously can't ask the estate agent, so wonder if there's anyone on this forum that knows of any negative considerations that only become apparent once you've bought your place?

zer0nz

Re: pros and cons of Chicureo

Post by zer0nz » Wed May 23, 2012 4:56 pm

the cost of the road, and the relation of the motorway to your work if you work in the city,

that whats stops me, i have been looking at calera de tango on the otherside of the city, same price, more available, and i feel the roads are easier to get to the city... once again depending where your going

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed May 23, 2012 5:59 pm

The first houses in Chicureo were bought by mainly young couples starting out. When their kids got to the teenage years and needed ferrying to/from parties, a lot of them sold up and moved or rented until the kids got a driving license. We have a couple of friends who did that. Then they got used to where they had moved (La Dehesa and La Reina Alta) and sold anyway.

With space comes upkeep, not only from the money point of view but also energy/time available. You really need a gardener to cope with a big plot. You spend more on water to water it too.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Thu May 24, 2012 11:11 am

I am quite interested in this as well. Currently looking to rent a house in eastern Santiago, but there are lots of options in Chicureo. Bigger plots, newer houses at lower cost
I am aware of the distance issue (and high cost of the Nororiente autopista), but still.
I have heard rumors of bad air quality (compared to the eastern parts of town) and I am guessing that high temperature in summer could be an issue.
What about "snob" effect? Will ABC1 chileans pay a premium to live in the more classic barrio alto?
Proximity to top schools I guess could be an issue as well, even though some of them are setting up shop in Chicureo.
Anybody living out there or with experience on the subject that can comment?

ABIII

Post by ABIII » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:38 pm

I think having 5000 square meters is great,
but if the price is having to pile into your car every morning, set the destination points to the other side of the hill in Santiago
and mash the pedal to the carpet, sharing the roadway with hundreds of other type A personalities intent on getting to Vitacura in the amount of time the developer promised ( I love that "...a Vitacura en 7 minutos..." ad copy)
which just gets you into the same traffic jam as everyone else who lives in the city itself.

and the kid equation...

for the US ex pats, is this what life in the suburbs is like over there?
Based in Chile - 1990
Lake District - 2009

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:15 pm

I don't know about anyone else and I am not a US expat, but we decided against Chicureo or any other outlying suburb. Our reasons were the car ferrying question as we had a teenager (and didn't like the idea of him driving back late at night once he got a license), temperature (it is both colder in winter and hotter in summer), the upkeep on a large plot, and the need for 2 cars. Where we are I can walk to two supermarkets, a church if I get born again, ample public transport 3 blocks away and a metro station 6 blocks away. It is a quiet neighbourhood with nice neighbours. Others might have other priorities when choosing where they live.

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:22 pm

Just an FYI - I almost purchased a 5000 sq/m parcela in the heart of Chicuero, but then found out that the water pressure on this specific piece of land was very low. Just something to keep an eye out for.

If you are looking to get into Piedra Rojas (or any other of the new communities) then there is no water pressure issues.

Personally, the drive isn’t all that bad. I don’t think it has ever taken me longer than 10 min to get into Vitacura. (you can also go to La Dehsa if you wish) if you want to get to the malls.

No noise, cleaner air and a large property far outweigh an extra 10 min commute in my opinion.

Edit: also quite a few great schools if you have little ones.
Living the life!

ABIII

Post by ABIII » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:15 pm

Chupacabra,

I understand that for some the pros outweigh the cons, otherwise no one would live there,

what I'm saying is that I think a lot of people don't analyze the real costs, for instance Donnybrook correctly states you'll need one car per driving age resident of your home, which if you live close to everything, might mean making do with one car for the household.
then it means 10 minutes at full speed in your car add an easy 5 to 6 thousand pesos per car per day for fuel just getting to the end of the highway, plus toll or tag (not sure what it's at, but I imagine between 2 to 4 thousand pesos per day?), , so my math is giving me 10 lucas a day per car just to commute to the end or start of the highway, 300 lucas a month (600 bucks), per car, plus the car (payments, cost of opportunity), depreciation on 40 km a day (again, just the commute)=1200 extra km a month (dealerships I think take off 100.000 pesos per 10k km over average, or at least they did at one Suzuki place in Bellavista according to their internal manual), maintenance (we all know the ripoff prices dealerships charge), ... etc etc. easily adding to a grand a month per car,

then your time, is 10 minutes your door to door time or your "on highway" time?

I respect everyone's choice, but I once quit a job that had me commuting 45 minutes each way, on a good day.. it was just not worth it in an economic sense.
Based in Chile - 1990
Lake District - 2009

El Chupacabra

Post by El Chupacabra » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:24 pm

ABIII wrote:Chupacabra,

I understand that for some the pros outweigh the cons, otherwise no one would live there,

what I'm saying is that I think a lot of people don't analyze the real costs, for instance Donnybrook correctly states you'll need one car per driving age resident of your home, which if you live close to everything, might mean making do with one car for the household.
then it means 10 minutes at full speed in your car add an easy 5 to 6 thousand pesos per car per day for fuel just getting to the end of the highway, plus toll or tag (not sure what it's at, but I imagine between 2 to 4 thousand pesos per day?), , so my math is giving me 10 lucas a day per car just to commute to the end or start of the highway, 300 lucas a month (600 bucks), per car, plus the car (payments, cost of opportunity), depreciation on 40 km a day (again, just the commute)=1200 extra km a month (dealerships I think take off 100.000 pesos per 10k km over average, or at least they did at one Suzuki place in Bellavista according to their internal manual), maintenance (we all know the ripoff prices dealerships charge), ... etc etc. easily adding to a grand a month per car,

then your time, is 10 minutes your door to door time or your "on highway" time?

I respect everyone's choice, but I once quit a job that had me commuting 45 minutes each way, on a good day.. it was just not worth it in an economic sense.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. For some people it might not make economical sense. I guess it really boils down to how much income a person makes.

Edit: 10 mins is basically me starting my car and coming off the ramp entering Vitacura on to Vespucio. But then again, I don't do the drive in rush hour times either. I also don 't live there full time. It's more of a recreational property.
Living the life!

momof3

Post by momof3 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:26 am

Donnybrook wrote:The first houses in Chicureo were bought by mainly young couples starting out. When their kids got to the teenage years and needed ferrying to/from parties, a lot of them sold up and moved or rented until the kids got a driving license. We have a couple of friends who did that. Then they got used to where they had moved (La Dehesa and La Reina Alta) and sold anyway.

With space comes upkeep, not only from the money point of view but also energy/time available. You really need a gardener to cope with a big plot. You spend more on water to water it too.
Absolutely! Even for smaller gardens I need to pay the gardener to pick up the bags of leaves, branches etc. since the regular waste management won't.
We agree to disagree.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:33 am

scandinavian wrote:I am quite interested in this as well. Currently looking to rent a house in eastern Santiago, but there are lots of options in Chicureo. Bigger plots, newer houses at lower cost
I am aware of the distance issue (and high cost of the Nororiente autopista), but still.
I have heard rumors of bad air quality (compared to the eastern parts of town) and I am guessing that high temperature in summer could be an issue.
What about "snob" effect? Will ABC1 chileans pay a premium to live in the more classic barrio alto?
Proximity to top schools I guess could be an issue as well, even though some of them are setting up shop in Chicureo.
Anybody living out there or with experience on the subject that can comment?
Well then, I guess I will be the embajadora, here goes:
-The cuicas fight over 2 things: Proximity to the Piedra Roja faux pond or a parcela. The ABC crowd will say they live in Piedra Roja, not Chicureo.
Hop over the "tracks" and you will find a plethora of options.
We agree to disagree.

momof3

Post by momof3 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:37 am

ABIII wrote:I think having 5000 square meters is great,
but if the price is having to pile into your car every morning, set the destination points to the other side of the hill in Santiago
and mash the pedal to the carpet, sharing the roadway with hundreds of other type A personalities intent on getting to Vitacura in the amount of time the developer promised ( I love that "...a Vitacura en 7 minutos..." ad copy)
which just gets you into the same traffic jam as everyone else who lives in the city itself.

and the kid equation...

for the US ex pats, is this what life in the suburbs is like over there?
When it comes to distances its all relative. Costanera del Norte has allowed me to break several speed limits and pick up the kids on time from school.
We agree to disagree.