No country for the anal-retentive

General topics related to Living in Chile
zer0nz

Re: No country for the anal-retentive

Post by zer0nz » Mon May 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Andres wrote:
hlf2888 wrote:Driving, being super cautious, following the speed limit and before turning left, using the left turn signal with ample notice to all that I am turning left. The idiot behind me thought I was going too slow and decided to pass me on the left when I was turning left.
A common occurrence. On Friday night, the only reason I was not killed by a guy going ~80kph on a 60kph residential road doing that was because I was waiting for someone wearing dark clothes at night riding a bicycle with no lights, no hands on handlebars, no helmet and talking on a mobile phone to pass me on the other side before turning. The presence of one idiot saved me from being killed by a second idiot.

Tonight we had numerous drivers passing us at 140kph to 150kph while driving from La Ligua to Santiago where the maximum posted is usually either 120kph or 100kph.

Defensive driving takes on a whole new meaning here.

Its a pity the Law of Natural Deselection is not more powerful.
I have a jeep with 8 airbags for a reason, dont trust the others on the road! to drive safe in chile you neeed to learn to drive like a chilean!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon May 21, 2012 6:42 pm

Most of the people that are in "shock" about Chile or have trouble adjusting, have not been to a whole lot of other places.

Just about everything on our list of issues, is 1000X worst everywhere else in the World.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon May 21, 2012 6:56 pm

admin wrote:Most of the people that are in "shock" about Chile or have trouble adjusting, have not been to a whole lot of other places.

Just about everything on our list of issues, is 1000X worst everywhere else in the World.

Yes, I think that is a major part of the problem.

People arriving late? In Perú they stopped changing the clocks because people couldn't work out how to come late and found themselves, to their horror, arriving early. Crazy driving? Play bumper cars in Lima or chicken in Argentina. A lot of what ails people are things which happen in most of South America and a lot of the rest of the world. You don't know how good you have it here until you have lived a few other places (or where PX lives, which sounds really bad!). Not everyone adjusts to living abroad but it is a lot easier when you have lived other places and you just accept that it is going to be different.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon May 21, 2012 6:59 pm

I thought we already had a w(h)ine forum? Move to "Thorn Tree Chile"?

Actually, queja'ing is very Chilean.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

sandrab

Post by sandrab » Mon May 21, 2012 7:30 pm

admin wrote:Most of the people that are in "shock" about Chile or have trouble adjusting, have not been to a whole lot of other places.

This rings true for me I only travelled twice in my life before coming to chile ( Calgary Canada and Ocala Florida ) both times were with my horses for shows. Coming to chile the first time I was blown away at the hills and mountains , everything and everyone seemed so unique lol. Now after living here almost 2 years the magical stars in my eyes have gotten much smaller.

I don't hate chile per say I just don't understand it. Where I lived in Canada was so different, the mannerisms of the people, how children are raised, how the buses are run, how the streets and sidewalks are maintained etc

Lol I could go on forever but I am here now and trying my hardest to adapt from inside my compound walls where I feel safest.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon May 21, 2012 8:04 pm

sandrab wrote:

This rings true for me I only travelled twice in my life before coming to chile ( Calgary Canada and Ocala Florida ) both times were with my horses for shows. Coming to chile the first time I was blown away at the hills and mountains , everything and everyone seemed so unique lol. Now after living here almost 2 years the magical stars in my eyes have gotten much smaller.

I don't hate chile per say I just don't understand it. Where I lived in Canada was so different, the mannerisms of the people, how children are raised, how the buses are run, how the streets and sidewalks are maintained etc

Lol I could go on forever but I am here now and trying my hardest to adapt from inside my compound walls where I feel safest.
I once had a conversation with a guy who worked in Lider in Viña. He had lived in England for a couple of years and said it was very hard to get used to, the food was strange and they didn't make many friends. I pointed out that foreigners who come to Chile have the same problem. He was very shocked at the thought. Everyone uses the ruler they know to measure things. But sometimes people try measuring with a ruler in inches things which can only be mentioned in centimetres (or vice versa).

Sandrab, do you ever go to Viña or get up to Santiago? Have you explored Valparaíso a bit? Maybe safe is fine but not what you need right now.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon May 21, 2012 8:23 pm

I think the difficult reality check living in Chile is that you have all the surface perceptions of a first-world country (red-tape, wired-up shit with RUTS, and RUN a/k/a big brother) with the European flare (Santiago, etc. not Patagonia) and then you find yourself shocked with the third-world customer service, inadequacies of infrastructure, and the like. Folks might find themselves thinking..."Hey! I could have all this government intrusions, high cost of living back in the home country, and at least I'd have some customer service or quality!"

Now, I did not expect anything moving to Chile. My downfall was the harshness and isolation in Patagonia (which I still miss today...). I just didn't end up being as tough and pioneering as I thought I was.

With the right attitude though, I learned not to expect much when dining out. To not expect people to show up. To have a three-step project end up being ten steps. And I have to say, I am better for it. I learned to roll with it, for the most part.

One last thing...the first, full year in Chile was just a whirlwind. Everything was exciting, new, different and intriguing. Then I hit the wall. Maybe others know what I mean. Stuff wasn't so funny or quirky anymore and I lost my sense of humor for a bit. But once I got over that, the experience became richer, and I don't regret the following two years a bit. I wouldn't change it, or in retrospect do anything any different. I'd probably have more money, if that were possible.

hlf2888

Post by hlf2888 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Thanks CS,
good story Andres
wish I could afford a jeep but not in budget Zeronz
Yes, Vicky and Greg, it is a place of dichotomies.

Everyone has internet access (but it is super slow and unreliable, even Entel)
Everyone has a cell phone (but the reception is very bad and you often have to yell to be heard)
The super-uber government office immediately assigns you a personal information number (It is scribbled in the undecipherable handwriting of the bureaucrat on duty on a scrap of paper and then mysteriously appears in plastic card form in the same office with the same number about 7 days later)
The notary office dutifully records this personal identification number (and then they pull out a pad of sticky black ink and tell you to put your thumb into it and press the thumbprint onto the official paper, and they give you toilet paper to clean your thumb with... maybe the city notaries give you kleenex :) ).
Everything seems to be super slow, people walk slow, things happen slow, (except for the way Chileans speak which is way beyond any speed limit).
I am learning to leave my expectations behind, walk slower and wait better.

Kimberley

Post by Kimberley » Mon May 21, 2012 9:46 pm

hlf2888 wrote: Everything seems to be super slow, people walk slow
definitely slower than necessary. and has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a general "drifting", either to one side, or in random directions, in the way Chileans walk on the street. Either they are adverse to a straight line or they have a sixth sense on how to block your desire to initiate a take over maneuver.
on the flip side, it is kind of nice to slow down and enjoy the ride.

Vicki and Greg Lansen

Post by Vicki and Greg Lansen » Mon May 21, 2012 10:01 pm

Agreed Kimberley. All about perspective.

sandrab

Post by sandrab » Mon May 21, 2012 10:52 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
sandrab wrote:

I once had a conversation with a guy who worked in Lider in Viña. He had lived in England for a couple of years and said it was very hard to get used to, the food was strange and they didn't make many friends. I pointed out that foreigners who come to Chile have the same problem. He was very shocked at the thought. Everyone uses the ruler they know to measure things. But sometimes people try measuring with a ruler in inches things which can only be mentioned in centimetres (or vice versa).

Sandrab, do you ever go to Viña or get up to Santiago? Have you explored Valparaíso a bit? Maybe safe is fine but not what you need right now.
I have never been to Santiago I'm sure I would be super parinoid with all the traffic and people. I have been to vina a lot and love valpariso but the last time I was there I was the target of a purse snatcher and had a pretty bad experience so ...

I think I have witnessed too much and heard too many stories to feel safe anymore, being alone here doesn't help either :| but at least the wine is cheap.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue May 22, 2012 12:42 am

sandrab wrote:
Donnybrook wrote:
sandrab wrote:

I have never been to Santiago I'm sure I would be super parinoid with all the traffic and people. I have been to vina a lot and love valpariso but the last time I was there I was the target of a purse snatcher and had a pretty bad experience so ...

I think I have witnessed too much and heard too many stories to feel safe anymore, being alone here doesn't help either :| but at least the wine is cheap.
When I first lived in Viña I used to come up to Santiago once a month. I never liked Viña. I would take the bus up and have a goal, a particular museum or exhibition. You really only need to use line 1 of the metro. I would have a bite to eat and return. It is a nice ride through a lot of wine country. In Viña I used join whatever I could to keep busy: Scottish dancing classes, flower arranging, whatever. If you don't feel like coming up to Santiago, you should at least find something to do in Viña. The Instituto Chileno Británico on 3 Norte 824 in Viña has a small library you can join. I used to know an American lady who lived in Viña but she left. I'll ask around if anyone knows anyone in the area.