Cat calls when I am with my children.

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
nwdiver

Re: Cat calls when I am with my children.

Post by nwdiver » Sun May 06, 2012 1:42 pm

I was talking to my Son who is a fireman at the 14th on Tobalaba about this, and firemen were as bad as any group of men, now they note hot women walking by but make no comments or whistles, this has changed over the last 5 years since they moved into their new hall in a more upscale neighbourhood in Providencia and was driven from the top down and is noted in their standing orders, so ladies change is coming.
It's all about the wine.

wiscondinavian

Post by wiscondinavian » Mon May 07, 2012 12:25 am

Things I've heard on the street
Te chuparia hasta el a*o
dime con quien metas para que lo puedo chupar
and another one that had something to do with the regla and probably something to do with chupando...

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Mon May 07, 2012 8:47 am

This differs from US inner-city "yo ho" rap culture come-ons exactly how? Low class is low class. Judging from the number of unwanted pregnancies in the lower orders of each country, these come ons must have a receptive audience at some level, hmmmmm?

Was talking to Carolina. She predictably rolled her eyes at the thread, she's used to gringa feminists since we live in a college town with plenty of them. She and her sister agree that Argentines have the best piropos, both creative and flattering, as opposed to "construction worker ewwwwwwwww", which rates as the worst.

John Hyre

gjz333

Post by gjz333 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:56 am

Saw something like this for the first time in Conce the other day but it almost seemed unslimy. A bunch of construction workers on their lunch break were sitting around the courthouse and when they saw a girl they liked walking by they would all start clapping with a few whistles here and there. All the girls I saw tried to hold it in as they passed but once they had their backs to the workers they broke out in a huge smile, every girl seemed to like it. But there was no dirty talk, no "what I'd like to do to you" just applause.
If the good lord had intended us to walk he wouldn't have invented roller skates.

JHyre

Post by JHyre » Mon May 07, 2012 11:04 am

gjz333,

First, 333 is one half of 666. Don't think we haven't noticed.

Second, no matter how "nice" it was, it is still male-pig sexist objectification of human beings who lack a Y-Chromosome. The fact that the targets "liked it" is even worse, for it means that have been conditioned by The Patriarchy to cooperate in their own oppression.

Hahhahhah, just kidding.

John Hyre

murf

Post by murf » Mon May 07, 2012 6:48 pm

I'm still waiting for the pic's.
How else am I to decide whether it was bad Chilean men or Chilean men with bad eyesight. :mrgreen:
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

El Zorro

Post by El Zorro » Mon May 07, 2012 8:07 pm

As I said before, you’re not gonna get ‘em, but I could suggest a compromise: pics without recognizable faces, and throw in at least one in a two-piece job.

(Any other teenagers, here?)

carica

Post by carica » Mon May 07, 2012 11:57 pm

Me, stop soliciting pics from una menor de edad.

chilco

Post by chilco » Tue May 08, 2012 10:09 am

I lived in New York for many years, and was constantly harassed there, to the point where it became white noise that I didn't even notice. And then when I moved to California, and it disappeared, I did find myself wondering if I wasn't attractive anymore. This doesn't mean that I enjoyed the harassment, however, it's just an honest admission. Now that I am in Chile, my boyfriend complains about it, but mainly to tell me that even the women are checking me out, and he's bummed that they aren't checking out him. I don't even notice, I guess because it was so extreme in my time in New York, that it seems minor here. As for in Patagonia, there were stares and cheers, but what really bothered me was when I would go to do the Chilean greeting of a kiss, and some men would open-mouth wet kiss me on the lips. Am I being an up-tight gringa because it bothered me? What is the dividing line of personal invasion? Is it sound? Is it touch? Can anyone tell anyone else what their comfort or discomfort level should be?

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Tue May 08, 2012 11:13 am

but what really bothered me was when I would go to do the Chilean greeting of a kiss, and some men would open-mouth wet kiss me on the lips.
Wow. I have never experienced that! If anyone tried that with a local lady he would get a smack across the chops. Personal space is closer here but not that close.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 08, 2012 11:34 am

...and some men would open-mouth wet kiss me on the lips
wow, never ever seen that anywhere in Chile. They must really really like you.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

chilco

Post by chilco » Tue May 08, 2012 12:23 pm

Great. Just my luck! The oddest thing about it is that it's been mostly older men, in the 65 to 75 age range,from whom I would normally expect gentlemanly conduct.