Cost of Moving

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
Huasipungo

Re: Cost of Moving

Post by Huasipungo » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:19 pm

I am just finishing my move. A 20' ft container from Seattle, WA.

All seemed to go really well until we figured out that the moving company had contracted an international freight forwarder, who had then contracted a company in Chile to deal with customs and domestic freight. We are now in the process of getting the freight forwarder to confirm that that they were assuming the costs of the customs and SAG forms, THC (terminal handling charges), SAG inspection, and the crane fee along with the associated IVA.

Make sure that you have everything clearly spelled out in both English and Spanish, if possible.
The problem is not so much with the Chilean agency, but with the failure of the freight forwarder to communicate.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:41 pm

Good info.I'm paying close attention to avoid or minimize any mistakes. Thanks
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

weston881

Post by weston881 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:16 am

I wonder if I could bring a used dirtbike into the country in my luggage? If I told aduanos that I was just going to be doing some races in Chile and Argentina on closed courses only (so need to register) could I get through without paying tax?

If I ended up having to pay tax, what might the rate be, again assuming that the bike is not going to be used on any roads?

Would a bill of sale, in hand, qualify as the "official" price if there were taxes applied?

zaebis

Post by zaebis » Thu May 03, 2012 12:26 am

weston881 wrote:I wonder if I could bring a used dirtbike into the country in my luggage? If I told aduanos that I was just going to be doing some races in Chile and Argentina on closed courses only (so need to register) could I get through without paying tax?

If I ended up having to pay tax, what might the rate be, again assuming that the bike is not going to be used on any roads?

Would a bill of sale, in hand, qualify as the "official" price if there were taxes applied?

only as "chatarra". Used bikes cant be brought in Chile (there is an exception however...) even if u try to explain to aduana that it will not be registered. Disassemble it and bring in as parts, then reassemble and only use off roads.
Arica siempre Arica...

weston881

Post by weston881 » Thu May 03, 2012 3:51 pm

Thanks for the answer Patagoniax.

I will be entering on a tourist visa, but planning to work with Charles on the residency issue when I get there. In fact, I am planning to do some races and will likely pop over to Argentina.

As for "removing" the bike at a later date, I was just planning to tell them that I would put it back into my hockey bags as luggage on my return flight. Even if I did end up paying some rate of tax, with the cost of bikes there in comparison to what I can get them here in the US, it still probably makes sense to pay it. Now if I were to pay 60-70% of MSRP plus an additional fee, maybe it wouldn't be worth it.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:21 pm

Apparently the 5000 USD tax free import is only valid within a given time frame after you have received your residency. As I understand it, for 120 days after permanent residency has been granted. If incorrect, then please let me know as I am about to receive a considerate bill from aduanas for personal effects...

WaterDawgHog

Re: personal goods

Post by WaterDawgHog » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:51 am

admin wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:14 pm
"If you have your residency permit, you can bring in up to $5,000 US Free On Board value in goods tax free."

I have finally joined the Permanencia definitiva club. U.S.A. passport. Can I still bring in a $5,000 U.S. Tax Free container?

Longtime forum lurker. Stoked to be Permanent Resident and on the board!!