NO KEY TERMS IN LINKS ON THIS FORUM

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

admin
Site Admin

NO KEY TERMS IN LINKS ON THIS FORUM

Post by admin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:40 pm

O.k. people. This is not open to interpretation, or is a sort of rule, as many seem to think recently. Some even after being asked by PM to remove or change them.

IF YOU PUT A KEY TERM IN ANY LINK TO ANOTHER SITE WITHOUT EXPRESS PERMISSION FROM ME, YOU WILL BE BANNED FROM THIS FORUM!!!!

That means:

Links should appear like this:

Code: Select all

http://www.allchile.net or just www.allchile.net 
There should be no text wrapped in an url

why?

Because it is an invitation for automated spammers when even a few people do it on the forum.

If you want links to your site to improve its search engine position, this forum is not the place. There are plenty of places out on the net that will let you put whatever link you want on their site. Go find some

1) Key term rich links on a forum really do not help your search position as much as some people like to promote on the internet 2) Real people that are interested in your blog or whatever, will still follow just an url. 3) Hidden urls under key terms leads to abuse and misleading users as to where they are going when they click it. 4) a whole pile of other technical reasons.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Re: NO KEY TERMS IN LINKS ON THIS FORUM

Post by admin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:31 pm

You know what, when I get a moment I am just going to hack the forum base code to strip out all the key terms and leave a simple url for offsite links before they are rendered. The time wasted goofing around with spammers and arguing with people over if they should be allowed to put key terms in their links is getting old. Should have likely done it years ago.

Key words in links are more for the consumption of machines, than they help humans figure out what a link points to on some other site. It should force those that still want to place a link in their sig, once they qualify, to write some associated text about what they will find when they get to the site.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Andres

what is a 'key term'?

Post by Andres » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Please excuse an apparently dumb question others seem to understand . . . . but what does a 'key term' in a URL look like?
And what is "text wrapped in an url".
Can you please give me an example?
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:44 pm

Andres
Don't feel bad.
I was thinking the same thing.

That I might actually commit this seemingly unpardonable sin without even being aware of it.

Tombi

Post by Tombi » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:48 pm

Hehe, I also have no idea what it means!

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:54 pm

I actually have no idea how to make them,

But you can make sentance like "get rich quick" and then put a link behind it to go to a site, so all the users can see is a link called "get rich quick" and no idea where it goes, it could go too http://www.hahahahayourallsuckersandiim ... rmoney.com

so yeah, its hinding a link behind a word or sentance

p.d welcome to the 1000 club tombi

Andres

key terms

Post by Andres » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:30 pm

zer0nz wrote:its hiding a link behind a word or sentence
Ah, I see. I thought Charles was referring to some kind of search term or other value embedded in a URL but not used for "going to" the target of the URL. If your explanation is what Charles is means . . . . text displayed on a webpage (or some other document) which is different from the URL to which a user is directed is called "anchor text", "link label" or "link text". It's dead easy, basic HTML but I'll not bother mentioning it here.

Hopefully Charles can confirm whether this is what he is referring to.
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:10 pm

Yes, I didn't really understand what it meant. Admin says something about no wrapped text though, so it can't be as simple as the link text differing from the URL.

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:19 pm

Example <----- dont do this, do this -----> http://www.allchile.net , cachai?

Ripsigg

Post by Ripsigg » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:09 am

thank you, Admin. I like to know the site I am going to rather than seeing some vague wording.

jehturner

Post by jehturner » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:01 am

But where does wrapping come into it? Oh -- does wrapped mean "hidden inside"? I was reading "no long URLs that wrap onto the next line" and struggling to relate this to the text being different from the URL...

zer0nz

Post by zer0nz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:14 am

jehturner wrote:But where does wrapping come into it? Oh -- does wrapped mean "hidden inside"? I was reading "no long URLs that wrap onto the next line" and struggling to relate this to the text being different from the URL...
its a hard thing to describe wihout showing it...... jaja, just hope i dont get banned for my example :)