What is right with this country?

Gripes and complaints about Chile. What does not kill you, only makes you stronger. Help make Chile a better place, and help other gringos avoid problems and mistakes.
StevenDC

What is right with this country?

Post by StevenDC » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:31 am

For those who follow <banned topic on this forum>, keep your eyes open as he is reportedly in Santiago. Apparently, it seems that after researching Uruguay, Paraguay, Panama and several other countries Sovereign Man has settled on Chile as the most desirable country for expats.

Not too bad, congratulations !

See you in February...
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Ripsigg

Re: What is right with this country?

Post by Ripsigg » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:37 am

Who is <banned topic on this forum> and why should we care that he is in Santiago?

StevenDC

Post by StevenDC » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:10 am

patagoniax wrote:Appears to be the nom de plume of yet another scam artist

http://www.sovereignman.com/simon-black/
Just curious how a person comes up with "scam artist" based upon the existence of and content of the website? Apparently his connection to Casey Research brings no level of validity. Perhaps the people who have been following the free daily writings for the past 3 years might have a different perception, but hey, any perception formed in a 6 second review of a website is the perogative of the reader.

Simon was one of the duet writing "Without Borders" for Casey Research 2006 - 2008. This publication targeted the higher income range of investors and a second publication niche was formed for middle-income earners. Sovereign Man came to be in 2009 to fill this niche and was actually a completely free publication focused on research of living, banking, and relocation options in countries aroung the globe. The natural course of business events followed and the new publication branched out to contain the free service and also a fee service.

I have the option of attempting to gain all the free legal info we will need for our move from internet resources such as this blog, or I can choose the option of finding competent legal counsel in Chile and pay them a fee to guide us through the minefield. Does this fee option make them also a scam artist? Does the fact they advertise make them a scam artist?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:37 am

Guess what, if you search the forum a bit (or do a bit of deep Googling), you will find a whole list of these guys that have come and gone from Chile over the years. The sites and subject matter will be amazingly similar. So much so, someone should just make a template or fill in the blank formula for them to use.

Let's see. In the last 10 years in Chile, we have 2-3 that I know of that lost all of their money in the country and left. Another 2-3 that have lost someone else's money, and left. We of course also have 2 or 3 that managed to screw around with the expat community and everyone else in Chile sufficiently to get the attention of the PDI (Chilean interpol / FBI), and left. We also I am sure have a few that just did a lot talking, and left. In any case, they all leave sooner or later. Most of them leave sooner.

Nice thing about Chile, and likely the same things we bitch about all the time on the forum, is that it also kind of gives Chile a certain built in immunity to bullshit. Unfortunately, it does not seem that new expats arriving in the country have the same immunity to bullshit.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

StevenDC

Post by StevenDC » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:40 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:Steve,

The allchile site is dual, the free-wheeling forum where most have never used Spencer Global's services and also the marketing platform for that same service. Charles will delete with extreme prejudice any posts suggesting the use of another legal firm as he spends thousands a year for the upkeep of his sites.

If I ever need legal services in Chile, the above mentioned blogger falls a distant second to Charles' network IMO.

A search on related topics may be revealing.
Based upon the high competency shown in the free advice/opinions we have taken so far from site, our plan is and has always been to retain SpencerGlobal. No other firm was even implied. How did "legal services" ever get tied into the "above mentiond blogger"? It should have a fallen a distant 'off the list completely'.

Maybe we can start over. Simon said Chile is a great country for expats. Period. I thought is might be an opening for counter opinions to what is wrong with the country.

StevenDC

Post by StevenDC » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:11 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:I only brought up "legal services" because SImon has retained the above mentioned blogger as their right-hand man in Chile. Thus my pointed jokes about $500 upfront fee, buy my new book, I can $help$ you with your visa-real estate-investments-relocation to Chile all clearly listed on the dude's website.
My apologies, I did not know of the related blogger or that this was his "right hand man". I'll go through the posts and try to find the website. I assume I can search by blogger name. I completely agree that if another person was using my website and potentially taking away business from me I would not permit it to happen.

(Just reread the post, the blogger name was not given. PM? )

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:17 pm

I have the option of attempting to gain all the free legal info we will need for our move from internet resources such as this blog, or I can choose the option of finding competent legal counsel in Chile and pay them a fee to guide us through the minefield. Does this fee option make them also a scam artist? Does the fact they advertise make them a scam artist?
If he lands in Chile, and starts selling what he is offering on his web site, I can think of about a half dozen different laws he will be breaking immediately.

I just love this. The plagiarism off an article published on our site and about to be published in the English langauge paper "i love chile" is impressive. Their lack of understanding it and the laws in Chile is even more impressive.
http://www.sovereignman.com/corresponde ... out-chile/
vs.
http://www.spencerglobal.com/spencer-gl ... chile.html

More importantly, if people hire anyone but a qualified attorney in Chile, I can guarantee you the fools and their money will soon be parted.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

StevenDC

Post by StevenDC » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:44 pm

Part of what I really like about me, whether others appreciate it or not, is the ability to say "damn, that was a stupid move." Or, as I told my grandfather, "that hurt.", to which he always replied, "don't do it again."

Perhaps had the avenue been followed longer, the BS light would have lit up for me. Perhaps not in time. As is, I had reached only the point of reading the free Sovereign Man letters, yet admittedly had considered paying the yearly fee for the "inside", "expert" advice.

Feel a bit happier now, or at least not poorer.

However, the result is positive. The input and info found here is extremely valuable. Thanks to all.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:06 pm

Fascinating thing is that much of the "expert advice" I know these sorts of "experts" are either selling now or have sold in the past, comes directly from our sites. Some have even had the balls to call me or email me with questions.

You are paying them for what we give away for free.

We charge when we start doing things for people in particular cases.

StevenDC

Post by StevenDC » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:47 pm

admin wrote:Fascinating thing is that much of the "expert advice" I know these sorts of "experts" are either selling now or have sold in the past, comes directly from our sites. Some have even had the balls to call me or email me with questions.

You are paying them for what we give away for free.

We charge when we start doing things for people in particular cases.
Charles, We'll be there in Feb, I think now might be a good time to lay out to you what we are trying to do and how your services will be the best used. What is the best way to send you the info? I assume we will lay out our final goals, risk level and a fairly comprehensive outline of who we are to see where we might best fit.

I'm also curious if there is anything that we could help others with by being so near the consulate here in DC?
Steve

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Still, of passing interest that someone with a following is advocating Chile. There may be another wave of incoming.

(No comment on the website, as I haven't looked at it.)

Chuck J 3.0

Post by Chuck J 3.0 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:20 pm

Any opinions on Doug Casey?
"Betting against gold is the same as betting on governments. He who bets on governments and government money bets against 6000 years of recorded human history." - Charles de Gaulle