Dogs on the streets

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
RWS

Re: Dogs on the streets

Post by RWS » Sun May 17, 2009 9:32 am

RuneTheChookcha wrote:. . . please
. . . this.. :)
RC, you've been spending demasiado tiempo listening to Spanish-speakers pronouncing English!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 17, 2009 10:57 am

This is one thing I see often in talking about this subject that I would like to put to rest.

It is the false dilemma of either starving dogs vs. starving kids.

Ethically, this is not an 'either...or...' type thing. We SHOULD save both the dogs and the starving kids. If it is wrong / broken / unfair / whatever, it should be fixed. Yes, there are priorities because of resources. Even being a great dog lover, I do however have an appreciation for the fact that dogs are a bit better equipped to take care of themselves than kids.

By the way, my formally stray cat just bit me in the foot and is now holding my network cable between her teeth. She believes this thread it totally discriminating against the feline kind. :lol:
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sun May 17, 2009 1:14 pm

admin wrote:By the way, my formally stray cat just bit me in the foot and is now holding my network cable between her teeth.
See: "How do you get a cat to stop biting cables? - Yahoo! Answers" :idea:
{ http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 539AA4oPuz }
Yahoo! Answers wrote:... My cat keeps biting electronic cables ... get a spray bottle and spray the cat with water every time you catch her chewing a cable ...

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Sun May 17, 2009 1:52 pm

RWS wrote:
RuneTheChookcha wrote:. . . please
. . . this.. :)
RC, you've been spending demasiado tiempo listening to Spanish-speakers pronouncing English!
How about.. these?.. :alien:

RWS

Post by RWS » Mon May 18, 2009 9:39 am

Mejor, RC, mucho mejor.

pathfinder_05

Post by pathfinder_05 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:31 pm

Well here goes, my first real forum post and I'm sure to be hated for it.

I have been here in Chile for one year (I was here a bit a go when I met the wife - but this time a year solid), and I am horrified by the dog situation.

The dogs scatter the garbage, from otherwise cleaned up bins, go to the toilet everywhere, some are down right dangerous, they stop traffic by just walking in the street, they chase bikes and cause mayhem, and I can't let my two small Yorkies off their leads with out them being harassed - once bitten - by scruffy disease ridden dogs.

I love animals. I have worked in the jungles of Belize as a conservation expedition leader, in Zambia on a crocodile farm and in Peru as a jungle guide - but I think these dogs are better off dead. If Chileans love them so much then they should do something about them. Not everything revolves around money.

Or, they should start a fresh, it wouldn't cost much for a full city wide wipe out. Then they impose rules on dog ownership and fines.

I drove down that road out to Cajon del Maipo, on the other side of the river, where tourists don't go..... if you got out of your car there you'd be savaged!

Sorry, had to get this off my chest, especially after paying 13,000 for some pepper spray for the wife, 10,000 for a vet visit and three good kicks to several very very big dogs.

Brian (inside his small apartment with his dogs playing because there is nowhere decent to go!)

chix001

Post by chix001 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:48 pm

I know that I am going to struggle with this in a couple of different ways. First I think my heart will break upon seeing so many stray animals - that is going to be really, really difficult. Second, we have a big dog (Great Dane/? mix) whom we adopted from a rescue place when we lived in Atlanta, and she isn't friendly with other dogs or with new people. She's very, very aggressive and hard to handle in those situations.

This is honestly my biggest worry right now - moving to a place without the same "leash laws" that we have here (well that coupled with the number of strays). Mostly b/c she's still going to need to go on walks etc but I don't want to have to worry about a dog fight every time we go outside, or becoming the hated Americans with a terribly behaved dog either.

I am not worried about the culture shock, business, banking, language, nothing - except for my dog.

pathfinder_05

Post by pathfinder_05 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi Chixx001,

You might be better off in one of the situations I have to deal with.

Yorkies are small so are victims to any dog bigger.

Your situation will be problematic when you come across the packs of 6-8 dogs on street corners, building sites or parking lots. Our flat has three packs within a block either way (we live near Santa Anna metro stop).

Also, if your dog is disciplined and doesn't react to them, even though they are all barking, that will help.

If you are in the city, the bigger parks on weekends are great to go with your dog. People are very friendly and the dogs mix well. No packs there.

I wouldn't let it put you off coming, just be aware of it.

Sorry to dampen your spirit.

Brian

gringalais

Post by gringalais » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:14 pm

In my neighborhood we don't see a lot of strays, and I haven't seen any packs. What we do have is a lot of dogs whose owners let them 'walk themselves' and a few idiots who have their dog off leash and whose dogs do not obey them. We have 3 dogs, two small breeds (miniature poodle and a little mutt, each about 8-9 kilos) and a larger mutt, the groomer thinks she is a mix of Belgian shepherd/German shepherd.

We have had some problems with other dogs either off leash or loose, but it is not that bad. I think the most important thing is to be alert to other dogs that are loose and cross the street or head away from them when you come across them. I ask people that have dogs off leash to please put the leash on because my dogs are not good with unknown dogs. This gets mixed responses. Some think I am crazy and tell me not to worry, their dog just wants to make friends with mine. They do not get that my dogs don't want to be friends with their dog. Others are cool and put the leash on. Also, be careful of open gates, I have been surprised a few times by dogs running out when the owner is pulling in the car, letting someone in, watering the plants outside, etc.

ChileBob

Post by ChileBob » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:08 pm

I've been to Chile many many timesover the last seven years and there are stray dogs everywhere, but I cringe at some of the things read here. The USA kills FOUR MILLION dogs a year - you want that to happen here as well ?

City-wide wipeouts make room for other dogs to move in or for the surviving population to expand - pointless cruelty. Living on the streets is a hard life & most strays only last five years so there are easier ways to fix the problem.

In Ushuaia (Argentina) they solved it with free spay/neuter program & every animal was also chipped at the same time - the fines from loose dogs paid for the program & they sterilised thousands of dogs each month! I was there in 2003 and again in 2009, the difference was incredible and there were hardly any strays. Rio Grande is going with the same program.

parisian

Post by parisian » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:37 pm

I think the situation of stray dogs is sad, but at the same time I think they´re part of the culture for chileans, so the approach is very different for locals than for "gringos". I´m talking as a local here.

"Quiltros" (stray dogs and the word for mutts as well) have been around since always, people are use to deal with them, to feed them, and to pet them when they are nice and approach asking for a little love. There are some people that "adopt" some of these dogs, when they "live" close to their workplace o their homes, so they feed them in a daily basis, and sometimes take them to the doctor if they´re sick, even though the dog doesn´t live with them and technically they´re not the owners. I know that is not the ideal situation, and people and authorities should be more responsible, but again, that is the reality.
Here I´m talking in general, because in some places they build packs and turn dangerous, but that is not very common in an urban context. In the North they have big issues with that, and I don´t know why, over there quiltros are huge!

So, even when it looks like nobody cares about these guys, the truth is that a lot of people feed them, and keep an eye if someone is in a bad shape. I know tons of people that at some point has rescued a sick dog from the street, cure them, and wait till they find a permanent home for the dog, so that is a little "relieving" about the condition of the street dogs, and it shows how this interaction works socially.

I would love these guys to be neutered, but I don´t think it is a priority for authorities. I hope it can happen at some point. And the idea of killing thousand of dogs I think is just terrible. They did something like that some years ago around La Moneda before an official ceremony, and it was a big scandal, and believe it or not, the Carabineros hid one of these dogs in one of their cars to save him! So, forget it, people care in their way about quiltros, so killing them can´t be a public policy.

Right now an organization is opening a new refuge for cats and dogs that are in a bad shape. I think that is a nice initiative. They are looking for 130 people that can donate thousand pesos per month to pay the rent of this place (or less people that give more than mil pesos), so if you´re interested in helping with a little money, just PM me and I´ll give you the information.

parisian

Post by parisian » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:48 pm

Chixx001,

Don´t worry about your dog. It all depends where you live. In my personal opinion to live in Santiago (downtown) with a dog is a bad idea, because the apartments are in general very small, and because it is the financial - government zone, that means no parks or areas where you can decently walk a dog. And yes, over there are more stray dogs than in other places.

I live in Providencia and believe me, we "share" one stray dog with like 5 blocks :lol: , so that is not really a problem (in addition, he is litlle, and old, so he doesn´t bother anyone).

Check zones that are close to parks where you can walk your dog. "Pocuro" stret in Providencia and Parque Bicentenario in Vitacura can be cool places to live close by.