the new eco barrens of Chile and South America

Post announcements in Chile for good causes, find something to do, associations, organizations, calls to action, groups, and just all around lend a hand to help improve Chile or solve a problem big or small. If you don't find one you like, start one here.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Forum rules
No spam. Must be in Chile. ALL GROUPS, ORGANIZATIONS, ASSOCIATIONS MUST BE APPROVED BY ADMIN!!!
nwdiver

Re: the new eco barrens of Chile and South America

Post by nwdiver » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:47 pm

Parque Pumalin is huge and its a private park, sort of.
It's all about the wine.

Antony

Post by Antony » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks for the link to the story great read, Blisseth, they just put material bags for sale near the check out stand in the Eltit down here in Pucon so that's a great first step, the ones I brought with me from the US have been worn out. They have almost little or no recycling here in the south and you are so right about the plastic problem, though that problem is listed in the top five of environmental problems facing countries, in 95 % of the countries on the planet. Plasitc is a plauge for sure.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:05 pm

About national (and private) parks, or about plastic bags?..

Should it be: Parks? Or: Bags?..

Let the Higher Forces please protect wild runes from extinction.. :alien:

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:32 pm

[[[[[.....Anyone has a private park (here, in Chile)? Seriously?....]]]]

It would be nice, but a large tract isn't really all that necessary. I have always lived on an acre or two, and that has always been managed ecologically. Organic, recycling, composting. I always plant plants that provide food and shelter for the birds. Even on small tracts, I have deer sheltering. Right now, there are 6 does and a 4 point buck living on my acre and a half. I have a tree thicket for them. The ungrateful buggers paid me back by eating all my strawberry and tomato plants.

Even in a condo, one can recycle, conserve energy, sometimes even compost. A green plant on the patio is doing more than just having bare concrete. Every little bit helps.

As the backpackers say "Leave only footprints, take away only memories." It's possible to contribute to the care of the earth no matter where you live.

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:42 pm

oregon woodsmoke wrote:I have always lived on an acre or two, and that has always been managed ecologically.
On an acre or two? In Chile, right?.. :)

You know what, if the neighbors cannot care less, nor they have any idea with respect to what your "managed ecologically" means, and are just polluting the ether with noise, the water with waste, and the land with garbage, then what you do?.. :?:

Not to say, that their consciousness would in no way be "managed ecologically", even though their parcela might actually be.. :alien:

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:49 pm

Well, I'd say that 100 hectares is the absolute minimum (for the purpose of conservation of wild runes). Assuming, that all the neighbors, and the neighbors' neighbors are having their brain "managed ecologically".. :alien:

No less than that. :)

Antony

Post by Antony » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:12 am

How about parks with no plastic bags.

El pescado

Post by El pescado » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:30 am

I want to change my way of using these plastic bags. Right now I have a laundry room full of´em! If I buy something small or just one or two items, I refuse the bag and give it back to the bagger. We normaly use the grocery bags as trash bags at home and it saves us from buying the black garbage bags. Is there a right and wrong way to do this? The white grocery bags do come in handy picking up trash from around my subdivision which I hope the other residents would see me doing this and take a hint to do it to on a Sat. or Sun. afternoon or at least stop littering and also they are good for picking up dog do in the front yard that everyone and their brothers let their dogs loose to do their business in other people´s yards. Maybe I could buy a slew of those material type bags and use them 3 of the 4 times we go to the supermercado a month and the other time I don´t use them would give me the plastic bags to keep on hand at the house for trash.

How does everyone else do this or is there a better way other than what I just come up with?

RuneTheChookcha

Post by RuneTheChookcha » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:18 pm

Let's look at this ad (VII Region, taken from vivastreet.cl):
LANDS FOR SALE CHILE. NATIVE FOREST. 12000 HECTARES

Virgin native forest. 12.000 Ha. Millenarian trees. Oak, ciprés, coigue.
Beautiful rivers and lagoons. Place of great privacy. Very good ways.

Precio CL$ 1.000.000.000, US$ 2.000.000
{ the actual link is here: talca [dot] vivastreet [dot] cl/granjas-quintas+talca/land-for-sale-chile--native-forest--12000-hectares------/13722818 }

Not sure if the listed price is realistic: CL$ 1.000.000.000, US$ 2.000.000.

Should they divide this into 120 smaller lots, say, 100 Ha. each, the price would be CL$ 8.333.333 each lot. Let they sell the lots at 10.000.000 pesos each. The price would be CL$ 100.000 per hectare only. Should there be 120 idiots, who'd drink chicha in moderation, and who would seek wisdom (between drinking sessions, I mean), and who wouldn't make much noise, and who wouldn't pollute this "NATIVE FOREST" heavily, they'd have a wonderful peace of Chile, 100 Ha. each, and all that for 100 lukas per hectare only..

Wouldn't that be 120 small "private parks"?.. :alien:

Tombi

Post by Tombi » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:26 pm

Jumbo and Unimarc sell reusable bags.

In the suburb where I live, our recycling gets picked up from our gate (they supply us with strong plastic bags, that are hopefully also reused), or otherwise, there is a recycling point near Vitacura municipality and also at Portal La Dehesa shopping centre (we used these two points before the recycling starting getting collected), just to name two, but I've seen many more around Las Condes, Vitacura and La Dehesa.

Our daughter's school recycle newspapers and I know our friends' daughters' school do education about recycling and the environment too.

It takes time to change, I'm aware that the USA is not really a great example of a country that reduces, reuses and recycles, so why would we have super high expectations here? It's not that long ago that Australia didn't recycle either, so it all comes down to education and perseverance.

I don't think Chile is doing too bad, compared to some first world countries that I've visited. I know of quite a few local manufacturers of modern cloth diapers, some local councils are starting to talk about composting and I almost always get asked about my "green bags". (What sets these (from Woolworths/Coles in Australia) apart from the run of the mill reusable bags, are that they have a cardboard base, so they are easier to pack and they can stand up.) There is slowly an increase in organic produce (still searching for an organic meat supplier though) and environmentally friendly and ethical cosmetics.

I think Chileans, or at least Santiaguinos are very interested in environmental issues (there are a few websites about living verde and I have seen some amazing examples of ecological or "green" architecture), but it will take time.

Tombi

Post by Tombi » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:31 pm

El Pescado - in South Africa, they have to pay for their plastic bags at check out, so most South Africans fold the bags in a tiny triangle (it's hard to explain, my Mom showed me) that the end gets tucked into, to take up less space and take their own bags to the supermarket. Of course they don't last for ever, but most of them are biodegradable anyway, so after being reused a few times, I guess it's okay to bin it.

I use the ones I still have left (from the times I forget to take my green bags) in my nappy bag to bag dirty diapers to bring back home, to pick up dog poo when taking my pooch for a walk and to line my bathroom rubbish bins.

RWS

Post by RWS » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:03 pm

RuneTheChookcha wrote:Let's look at this ad (VII Region, taken from vivastreet.cl):
LANDS FOR SALE CHILE. NATIVE FOREST. 12000 HECTARES
Virgin native forest. 12.000 Ha. Millenarian trees. Oak, ciprés, coigue.
Beautiful rivers and lagoons. Place of great privacy. Very good ways.
Precio CL$ 1.000.000.000, US$ 2.000.000
. . . . all that for 100 lukas per hectare only.. ..
Yet another reason to wish I had a few million dollars.