llamica Pellet stoves

Discuss the best and worst companies and customer services in Chile including tips, tricks, rants, endorsements, and which businesses to avoid at all cost. If we talk about them frequently enough, we might just get the attention of the company. Help other Expats and Gringos find the good companies in Chile, and avoid the bad ones.
admin
Site Admin

Re: llamica Pellet stoves

Post by admin » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:31 am

Screenshot_20200803-095446_Brave.jpg
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:50 am

admin wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:31 am
yea, I have a bunch of friends that have been cheerleaders for their pellet system trying to get me to buy one. I just could not see that supply chain being robust enophe to withstand any crisis.
Yes I guess in hindsight I was too optimistic about their ability to develop a robust supply chain for pellets. Like a number of things I was probably too optimistic about I guess in Chile, still, live and learn I guess. My neighbor has just installed a diesel system. I think I'll go back to wood, I have enough space to dry it.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:04 am

funny, I had some friends and family the other day try to convince me I should open a pellet factory. They meant well, and at least on the surface, not the worse idea I have been pitched; but, took me all of about 30 seconds to figure out that was a fast way to go bankrupt.

the first thing I thought of was a pellet factory near Talca that went up for auction a couple of years ago. Don't want to join that party.

Figure about a million people south of the bio bio. say 100,000 perhaps have pellet systems (if that). Then you have to compete with the cheap pellets from brazil (probably the source of the shortage) or other producers. That is a pretty small market. no thanks.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:25 am

admin wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:04 am
funny, I had some friends and family the other day try to convince me I should open a pellet factory. They meant well, and at least on the surface, not the worse idea I have been pitched; but, took me all of about 30 seconds to figure out that was a fast way to go bankrupt.

the first thing I thought of was a pellet factory near Talca that went up for auction a couple of years ago. Don't want to join that party.

Figure about a million people south of the bio bio. say 100,000 perhaps have pellet systems (if that). Then you have to compete with the cheap pellets from brazil (probably the source of the shortage) or other producers. That is a pretty small market. no thanks.
Lol, my builder tried to convince me the same thing , a few years ago. Buy a machine from China he said and start making pellets, I just said "yeah, maybe, nah". I can think of easier more profitable business.
My pellet supply guy said their supplier had gone bankrupt that's why he didn't have any.
You raise an interesting question about how many people have a pellet system, you right, I would actually be surprised of it was 100,000 I would suggest maybe half that.
4 million population approx South of biobio (counting bio).
That's aprox 1.2million households.
80 percent of them couldn't afford to change to pellet system. That leaves maybe 400 thousand households that could afford to switch, and say 10 percent of them opt for pellets over gas, diesel, electricity or wood so maybe there is 50 thousand , maybe more just a rough guess. But even amongst people I know the pallet system is the least preferred, gas and diesel and just good old wood seem to be more popular.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:36 am

It raises serious questions about the whole governments clean air strategy (if you could call it that).
Clearly the weakness of the supply chain has been shown here and a lot of people will lose confidence in them now. With all the renewable electricity generation coming online and the amount of new gas lines being installed in towns and cities, it's clear the future is not pellets to clear the air pollution in urban areas.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:27 pm

Finally found some pellets the other day, but they are shit, the humidity content must be too high, they dont burn properly and leave a horrible half burnt black mess in the burner, that requires cleaning twice a day otherwise it wont work.
I'm ripping the thing out in the Summer and going back to a wood burner.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:32 pm

41southchile wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:27 pm
Finally found some pellets the other day, but they are shit, the humidity content must be too high, they dont burn properly and leave a horrible half burnt black mess in the burner, that requires cleaning twice a day otherwise it wont work.
well their new plan is to lower the cost of electricity in 10 towns in the south as a pilot project. you have to apply for the special rate.

which seems like a great idea, as long as the electricity is working. only some government idiots in los condes would think that was a good idea with the storms we get in the south.

I was reminded of that last night. our power went out for 7 hours. We use gas, but the heater uses a small bit of electricity. I knew it was a vulnerability, but not a big enough one to do anything about. first time it has happened. a solar panel would fix that.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:03 am

admin wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:32 pm
41southchile wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:27 pm
well their new plan is to lower the cost of electricity in 10 towns in the south as a pilot project. you have to apply for the special rate.

which seems like a great idea, as long as the electricity is working. only some government idiots in los condes would think that was a good idea with the storms we get in the south.

I was reminded of that last night. our power went out for 7 hours. We use gas, but the heater uses a small bit of electricity. I knew it was a vulnerability, but not a big enough one to do anything about. first time it has happened. a solar panel would fix that.
😲 I'm still waiting for a night time power cut so I can show off my generator hooked up to the house, and turn on all my lights😂.
We have had very few power cuts in the last few months, a couple small ones during the day, although there was a bad run, I think earlier in the year, when we had about 3 longish ones in about 10 days. That's when I got the generator and ability to plug into the house, since then we have hardly had any power cuts.
I would like to see some lowering of electricity costs though and not just through increased supply, it's an efficient way to clean the urban air quality by using the renewables (wind) they are installing all around the region.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:14 am

Someone just sent me a screenshot of a Facebook interview of a guy involved with the Pellet industry, there is a deficit of over 9000 tonnes, between expected demand and supply. There is no certainty of supply until at least the end of the year. 🤣🤣🤣
I Guess that's what happens when you import European technology into Chile, back to the wood burners, I should have seen this coming, guess hindsight is never there when you need it.
In conclusion, my advice would be, don't instal a pellet system .

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:43 am

Screenshot_20200815-094227_Brave.jpg

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:03 pm

Lol, Too late, I for one will not forget that in the middle of a wet cold Winter we were left without a reliable supply of pellets, had to waste time and energy trying to find somewhere that would ration us half a dozen bags of crap quality pellets.
Having to line up in the middle of a pandemic for that privilege is not something I, or I would guess, many other people will forget, so when someone asks if they should install a pellet system they will get the full answer.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:46 am

No option to buy pellets in Valdivia right now. Not a big problem for us because we have a small (≈50m²) house and warmed it with an IR electric stove during the first winter, but I can imagine people with big houses suffering the last 3-5 weeks of possible cold nights.

Considering the whole situation, I'm now totally on board with the stove-free Passivhaus insulation for building our own house next year.