The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
41southchile

Re: The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

Post by 41southchile » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:34 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:27 am
well, it happened.

TVN has lines of people buying big screen TVs and other junk with there AFP.

Wall Mart thanks you for your donation.

How much of the price of a big screen TV do you think stays inside the chilean economy?

easy come easy go.
Lol, I thought the same thing, when I had to go to Puerto Varas to try and find pellets, managed to find 10 bags, the place got 300 in and sold out in two hours. The supply chains are being interrupted due to the shit going down in Araucanía too.Trucks not travelling at night etc.
Anyway the lines of people outside Dimarsa, (a local electronics/hardware shop here in the South) were nearly around the corner of the block, saw one guy with a flatscreen. I fact the lines everywhere in Puerto Varas were extreme, bancoestado, registro civil, Impuestos Internos, Notaria, seemed to be the busiest, some lines had up to 100 people in them.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:45 pm

did the run in to pickup my mother in law from dialysis the other night at about 9 p.m. in puerto varas., and the route 5 was oddly empty, even for a pandemic.

might be a combo of 9th region trouble and PM on lockdown.

on the backroads there is very little traffic too at night.

I have had a lot of close calls recently with animals in the road. It is like at 9 to 10 p.m., as curfew goes in to effect, all the animals come out to play in the middle of the road. just some of them come out a bit early.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:03 pm

so my AFP, provida says they are give me a 1 million pesos in 10 days.

does that include the two days that their web site was crashed? :lol:

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:22 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:45 pm
did the run in to pickup my mother in law from dialysis the other night at about 9 p.m. in puerto varas., and the route 5 was oddly empty, even for a pandemic.

might be a combo of 9th region trouble and PM on lockdown.

on the backroads there is very little traffic too at night.

I have had a lot of close calls recently with animals in the road. It is like at 9 to 10 p.m., as curfew goes in to effect, all the animals come out to play in the middle of the road. just some of them come out a bit early.
Yeah trucks are not traveling at night though the Araucanía apparently, unsafe to do so. One guy was saying even during the day they are not going alone and waiting for other trucks and going through in Convoys. There was an 8 hour traffic jam/delay the other day up there around Collipulli

libertad

Post by libertad » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:08 pm

Hi all -

This is a slight departure from the most recent comment, but I'm wondering if those in Chile currently can comment on the degree of social disturbance and unrest (not Covid, but the distinctly Chilean protests and related arson, etc.) in different regions.

Clearly, this was well documented in Santiago. Having lived in Valpo, I'm sure it was widespread there (they don't need much of a reason to protest or get a bit violent in that unique town). I'm interested to know if there was much arson and destruction seen in towns in the South like Villarrica, Pucon, Valdivia, Puerto Varas, etc.?

Equally interested to know if other smaller towns and rural areas in the Country (e.g., coastal areas in the Central region like Con Con, Algarrobo, Pichilemu, etc. or other areas) saw much violence or crime. I would imagine there was some demonstration in nearly all towns, but that is quite different than full on burning and looting. Any input is greatly appreciated.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:35 pm

libertad wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:08 pm
Hi all -

This is a slight departure from the most recent comment, but I'm wondering if those in Chile currently can comment on the degree of social disturbance and unrest (not Covid, but the distinctly Chilean protests and related arson, etc.) in different regions.

Clearly, this was well documented in Santiago. Having lived in Valpo, I'm sure it was widespread there (they don't need much of a reason to protest or get a bit violent in that unique town). I'm interested to know if there was much arson and destruction seen in towns in the South like Villarrica, Pucon, Valdivia, Puerto Varas, etc.?

Equally interested to know if other smaller towns and rural areas in the Country (e.g., coastal areas in the Central region like Con Con, Algarrobo, Pichilemu, etc. or other areas) saw much violence or crime. I would imagine there was some demonstration in nearly all towns, but that is quite different than full on burning and looting. Any input is greatly appreciated.
ummmmm, you need to distinguish what you are asking. between what was going on October 2019 protests vs. what is going on with the mapuche in the south-center right now.

As much as the political left in chile tries to co-op the mapuche protest, they are radically different issues. The mapuche one is a few hundred years old.

The mapuche protests are fairly limited even in the south to the major mapuche areas.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:01 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:35 pm
libertad wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:08 pm
Hi all -

ummmmm, you need to distinguish what you are asking. between what was going on October 2019 protests vs. what is going on with the mapuche in the south-center right now.

As much as the political left in chile tries to co-op the mapuche protest, they are radically different issues. The mapuche one is a few hundred years old.

The mapuche protests are fairly limited even in the south to the major mapuche areas.
Yeah apart from Mapuche, and yes very different conflicts, the Mapuche are embarrased by the left more often than not, like a lot of the rest of the country. I haven't heard of anything else in the last few months, and as you point out admin it is fairly limited to a small area, generally between Temuco and Los Angeles.

libertad

Post by libertad » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:28 pm

Sorry guys, I should have been more specific. I do realize the Mapuche conflict has been ongoing and is largely confined to the area in and near Araucania.

What I meant was related to the large scale rioting, looting and arson (violencia) that was seen in Santiago and other major cities during the social crises prior to Covid. Was this type of behavior widespread in the towns of Southern Chile also? In smaller and rural areas outside of Santiago?

The news portrayed such activities as widespread as if the entire country were in flames. Having lived in Chile before, this seems unlikely to me but I'd like to know what others observed "on the ground" with respect to such looting, arson, etc.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:32 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:03 pm
so my AFP, provida says they are give me a 1 million pesos in 10 days.

does that include the two days that their web site was crashed? :lol:
You got yours?
Still haven't got mine. Two weeks today I applied.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:38 pm

libertad wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:28 pm
Sorry guys, I should have been more specific. I do realize the Mapuche conflict has been ongoing and is largely confined to the area in and near Araucania.

What I meant was related to the large scale rioting, looting and arson (violencia) that was seen in Santiago and other major cities during the social crises prior to Covid. Was this type of behavior widespread in the towns of Southern Chile also? In smaller and rural areas outside of Santiago?

The news portrayed such activities as widespread as if the entire country were in flames. Having lived in Chile before, this seems unlikely to me but I'd like to know what others observed "on the ground" with respect to such looting, arson, etc.
Very quiet down here, few of the local kids broke into the supermarket in llanquihue and set a little fire. Puerto Varas was sporadic up in calle colon they burnt a few tyres and threw a few stones, smashed a few windows downtown, certainly nothing worse than any normal protests and wasn't that intense.
That was all between October and December, Summer they never really got back into it and in March they barely had time to burn a few tyres before the nighttime curfews kicked in when the pandemic hit. If I didn't look at any media, I wouldn't know about anything that was going on, it never affected us directly, rumors on WhatsApp groups were overblown, eventually I switched off to it all.

passport

Post by passport » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:26 pm

Yes. Prior to COVID, centro of Puerto Montt got beat up pretty bad. Osorno too I think

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:34 pm

passport wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:26 pm
Yes. Prior to COVID, centro of Puerto Montt got beat up pretty bad. Osorno too I think
Yes that's true, the truth is I really try to avoid those places, yeah Puerto Montt got a lot of damage downtown, lol I nearly forgot about that.