coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
DLPurser
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:09 pm

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by DLPurser » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:25 am

admin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:11 am
suppose to be more systematic, and they register you in the national database. so if you did skip out, and got stopped at a checkpoint, there are fines and they can send you back to quartine.

I had a client a few months ago stay at one of the sanitary residents. It was one of the high-end hotels in Santiago. He said to us, "please thank the government of chile for me". the hotel was nicer than the one he had originally booked on his own.
Are the quarantine procedures the same for Chilean citizens? My wife, stepdaughter, and I plan on moving back to Chile from the US. My wife and stepdaughter (Chilean citizens) are planning to return September 10th and I will follow many months later. My wife has family in Santiago and Chillan. Can she quarantine at their house or must they also quarantine at the location designated by the government?

Thanks for all the great info.

lost gringo
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 424
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:12 pm
Location: South Park, Patagonia

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by lost gringo » Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:45 am

There is this website https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php which uses data from Timatic, the agency the airlines use to determine passenger eligibility for international travel.

For Chile they say: As of 31.07.2020,
1. Passengers are not allowed to enter until 15 August 2020.
- This does not apply to nationals and residents of Chile.
2. Nationals and residents of Chile are subject to quarantine for 14 days.
3. A completed "Affidavit for Travellers to prevent Coronavirus diseases (COVID-19)" must be submitted before departure at https://www.c19.cl/formularios.html


Notice they say nothing about where the quarantine must be done.
If the August 15th date allowing tourist entry is valid, I can't imagine the government paying for a hotel for every entering tourist even though the probability of many tourists coming now is low.

I too was wondering about connecting flights out of SCL to PMC after international arrival. I'm sure Latam will sell you a ticket without concern if you can actually use it. It would be nice if Chile did the same as other countries in allowing people with connections to travel on to their final destination and do the quarantine there.
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22554
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:54 pm

1,540 new cases, 378,168 total cases

16,544 active cases

27 deaths, 10,205

522 ventilators

19,349 tests yesterday, 1,908,964 tests conducted

5% positive rate in the country, 7% Santiago.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22554
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:58 pm

lost gringo wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:45 am
There is this website https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php which uses data from Timatic, the agency the airlines use to determine passenger eligibility for international travel.

For Chile they say: As of 31.07.2020,
1. Passengers are not allowed to enter until 15 August 2020.
- This does not apply to nationals and residents of Chile.
2. Nationals and residents of Chile are subject to quarantine for 14 days.
3. A completed "Affidavit for Travellers to prevent Coronavirus diseases (COVID-19)" must be submitted before departure at https://www.c19.cl/formularios.html


Notice they say nothing about where the quarantine must be done.
If the August 15th date allowing tourist entry is valid, I can't imagine the government paying for a hotel for every entering tourist even though the probability of many tourists coming now is low.

I too was wondering about connecting flights out of SCL to PMC after international arrival. I'm sure Latam will sell you a ticket without concern if you can actually use it. It would be nice if Chile did the same as other countries in allowing people with connections to travel on to their final destination and do the quarantine there.
That is simply WRONG!!!

THERE IS NO ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE GOVERNMENT ABOUT PLANS TO LIFT BOARDER RESTRICTIONS FOR TOURIST!!!

DO NOT BUY TICKETS BASED ON ANYTHING BUT A OFFICIAL CHILEAN GOVERNMENT RESOLUTION!!!!
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22554
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:02 pm

DO NOT TRUST IATA!!!!

they have been wrong about travel requirements for chile for a long time. Forr instance the mess with them requiring tourist to buy round trip tickets, when chile has not required that for decades. THEY SERVE THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY!!!!
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22554
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:06 pm

FYI,

we spoke to the PDI (interpole) office at the airport directly yesterday, and they also denied there is any planned opening of the boarder on the 15th august and they had no further information about when the boarder will be open.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22554
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:09 pm

I would recommend listening to the guys with the guns at the airport, that are in charge of turning you around and sending you back from where you came from vs. an airline lobbying organization.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8291
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:00 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:02 pm
DO NOT TRUST IATA!!!!

they have been wrong about travel requirements for chile for a long time. Forr instance the mess with them requiring tourist to buy round trip tickets, when chile has not required that for decades. THEY SERVE THE AIRLINE INDUSTRY!!!!
Actually this is wrong. A decade or so back, Timatic clearly stated there was an exception for those traveling for touristic reasons + showing proof of funds. It was the airlines, usually an idiot AA or DL but IME never a LAN employee who insisted on the round trip requirement and refused boarding passes. The exception disappeared years back and was indeed eventually replaced with the standard line that passengers could be refused entry without onward/RT (thanks to the tourist card abuse by Peruvians, Bolivians and asshole millenial developed world "English" teachers).

As someone who once lived on a rotating tourist visa for nearly a decade, I am very aware of this.

The other one is passport validity. There may be airline employees who pick over that whereas there is NO requirement in Timatic for Chile and I once entered Chile with less than 30 days passport validity and the PDI official did not raise an eyebrow.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8291
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:05 pm

admin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:09 pm
I would recommend listening to the guys with the guns at the airport, that are in charge of turning you around and sending you back from where you came from vs. an airline lobbying organization.
Who also enjoy power games like the mujer PDI official who gave me a hard time because my carnet was recently expired. Dumb me, I should know better after dealing with US CBP that you avoid if possible the young and/or female officials if you don't want high blood pressure.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

papageno
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 588
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:46 pm
Location: Colorado & Puerto Varas

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by papageno » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:23 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:05 pm
admin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:09 pm
I would recommend listening to the guys with the guns at the airport, that are in charge of turning you around and sending you back from where you came from vs. an airline lobbying organization.
Who also enjoy power games like the mujer PDI official who gave me a hard time because my carnet was recently expired. Dumb me, I should know better after dealing with US CBP that you avoid if possible the young and/or female officials if you don't want high blood pressure.
If that was at exit control at SCL, maybe we encountered the same one... In my case, it was the lack of a carnet because my temporaria was too new. Damn, that was 6 years ago :shock:

User avatar
hlf2888
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 921
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:19 pm
Location: seventh region
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by hlf2888 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:18 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:05 pm
admin wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:09 pm
I would recommend listening to the guys with the guns at the airport, that are in charge of turning you around and sending you back from where you came from vs. an airline lobbying organization.
Who also enjoy power games like the mujer PDI official who gave me a hard time because my carnet was recently expired. Dumb me, I should know better after dealing with US CBP that you avoid if possible the young and/or female officials if you don't want high blood pressure.
haha, the exuberance and efficiency of the young and female. All the countries would be in a lot better state if governed by women.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 22554
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by admin » Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:00 pm

so cross immunity gets a closer look, and possibly answering why so many people get milder versions of covid.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... ce.abd3871

now, not interested in doing a first hand personal study to see if I got the immunity; but, possibly helpful.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Post Reply