Help-Roaming problems (Aussie phone and number/sim)

General topics related to Living in Chile
newtochile

Help-Roaming problems (Aussie phone and number/sim)

Post by newtochile » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:19 pm

I brought my Aussie phone here with my Aussie sim and just activated roaming. I got a local phone and number but wanted to keep my Aussie phone in roaming as a lot of security codes are sent there (ex. while logging on to certain sites, purchasing online using my cc, etc). It initially worked and I was able to receive security codes via text but last year, it just suddenly stopped working. I've contacted Vodafone (my phone company in Aus) numerous times and unfortunately they are no help.

From what I've read, if you're using foreign phones and sim, there is no need to register your phone here in Chile. But does anyone know if maybe there are any changes in Chilean policy that caused my roaming to stop working? Do I need to maybe register my phone even though it doesn't use a Chilean sim?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Help-Roaming problems (Aussie phone and number/sim)

Post by admin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:28 pm

your foriegn phone must be registered in Chile, and most likely timed out on the network as you stayed here for too long with it.

just a guess.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nikotromus

Post by nikotromus » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:33 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:28 pm
your foriegn phone must be registered in Chile, and most likely timed out on the network as you stayed here for too long with it.

just a guess.
Yep. It happened to me tambien. I got 30 days on my phone and they zapped it. It took a full week after I submitted my registration form until it started working again fyi.

newtochile

Post by newtochile » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:46 pm

nikotromus wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:33 pm

Yep. It happened to me tambien. I got 30 days on my phone and they zapped it. It took a full week after I submitted my registration form until it started working again fyi.
Ooh ok. Is the registration done at multibanda site? I saw a link there with "el listado de las empresas certificadoras", did you go through one of the companies listed there?

It's so weird because in the "soy-extranjero-foreigner" page of multibanda - they specifically state that if you're only gonna use roaming, you don't need to do anything. :|

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:46 pm

You need to register the IMEI. See this site
https://multibanda.cl/soy-extranjero-foreigner/
I have done it several times with Dekra:
https://wireless.dekra-product-safety.com/subtel/public
normally takes a few hours before they liberate your phone.

newtochile

Post by newtochile » Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:52 pm

Thanks @scandinavian, I'll give that a try!