The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
fraggle092

Re: The Chile Economy, Social Crisis and Virus Impact

Post by fraggle092 » Fri May 08, 2020 11:21 pm

Just be aware that they left the juicy part out of that law: the parliamentary assignations won't be affected.
Its good to know all the details...
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri May 08, 2020 11:56 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:07 pm
Britkid wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:22 pm
admin wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:42 pm

where is the left in the middle of this pandemic crisis?

let's see, blocking a cut in congressional pay.
I'm a bit skeptical that "the left" is responsible for blocking the cut, but happy take a look at the evidence if you can share a source showing the breakdown of votes. I saw a new story but I can't remember where to look up the breakdown of the votes.
This article has a good breakdown, including how each congressman voted:

https://www.eldinamo.com/nacional/2020/ ... mentarias/
Thanks, but what I was looking for was a breakdown by party and/or coalition. In theory I could work it out by googling every name on the list, but that would take about 2 hours maybe.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Sat May 09, 2020 12:57 am

Britkid wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:56 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:07 pm
Britkid wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:22 pm
admin wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 3:42 pm

where is the left in the middle of this pandemic crisis?

let's see, blocking a cut in congressional pay.
I'm a bit skeptical that "the left" is responsible for blocking the cut, but happy take a look at the evidence if you can share a source showing the breakdown of votes. I saw a new story but I can't remember where to look up the breakdown of the votes.
This article has a good breakdown, including how each congressman voted:

https://www.eldinamo.com/nacional/2020/ ... mentarias/
Thanks, but what I was looking for was a breakdown by party and/or coalition. In theory I could work it out by googling every name on the list, but that would take about 2 hours maybe.
The article lists which parties voted against the project, although they work on the assumption that the reader is familiar with Chilean politics. They could've been clearer.

The most prominent parties that voted against the project are Frente Amplio, Partido Comunista, Partido Humanista. As a whole, yes, it was mostly the left that voted against it.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat May 09, 2020 11:17 am

tiagoabner wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:57 am

The article lists which parties voted against the project, although they work on the assumption that the reader is familiar with Chilean politics. They could've been clearer.
Well yes, its helps to have have at least a little knowledge. :roll:

Forumites, here's a little test. Try to identify the 20 individuals in the pic, they are a pretty representative sample of Chilean leftwing public life. And do you know why one is (almost truthfully) labelled "asesino", and another as "narco"?
isqunefa.jpg
Have to admit that I couldn't identify "GuatónVaca". He turns out to be Esteban Silva Cuadra.

Dime con quién andas, y te diré quién eres.
foro-de-sao-paulo-2.jpg

Après moi, le déluge

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat May 09, 2020 1:38 pm

Where's the idiot bearded mad-eyed Marxist Gutiérrez who openly supported the violence sin verguenza?
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat May 09, 2020 2:54 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 1:38 pm
Where's the idiot bearded mad-eyed Marxist Gutiérrez who openly supported the violence sin verguenza?
Its only a sample culled from a pic.....there are a great many more that could have been included. Florcita Motuda (who also voted against the pay cut) immediately comes to my mind. :)

I see that Gutiérrez is now attacking the Tribunal Constitucional, he's an all-round menace.

He voted against the dieta reduction, although a pay cut won't restrict his subversive activities. He employs a shoal of legal assistants whose only function seems to be finding ways of attacking the government. They are funded from his parliamentary assignations which as stated before will be untouched by the pathetic pay reduction discussions.
Talk about biting the hand that feeds you....and here's a pic of Mr. Smpatico himself. WYSIWYG
hugo-gutierrez-700x529.jpg

Après moi, le déluge

alextrombone

Post by alextrombone » Sat May 09, 2020 3:07 pm

Didn’t they vote against the project because originally there was going to be an immediate 50% cut, but those terms were removed. At least that’s what I got from the article. So it’s not just as simple as “the left are blocking the cut”.

“Sin embargo, la mayor molestia de la oposición se produjo porque también se eliminó la norma transitoria que fijaba una reducción inmediata de hasta un 50% en las dietas parlamentarias.”

I’m not taking a side here, I’m just pointing out what the article says.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat May 09, 2020 3:27 pm

This parliamentary discussion has generated more heat than light. At one stage there was talk of removing parliamentary power to set their own pay, and to transfer it to the ADP, a government body. Now they are just haggling over who gets to set some interim unspecified reduction (that will be less than 50%).

Basically, despite all the talk, none of them want to take a pay cut whatever they say. Even some of those who voted in favour did so knowing that it wouldn't pass regardless. Another crock.
Al iniciar la sesión el diputado Gabriel Boric -uno de los promotores del proyecto original, presentado en 2014- hizo una nueva propuesta, tras admitir que la rebaja del 50% "no tiene viabilidad política". Aunque se abrió a que sea un ente externo, la ADP, la que determine la rebaja transitoria, planteó la necesidad de fijar un techo.
https://www.t13.cl/noticia/politica/reb ... c-06-05-20

Après moi, le déluge

alextrombone

Post by alextrombone » Sat May 09, 2020 3:59 pm

It is pretty disgusting how much they earn and they’re giving what, a bono of 50 lucas to a small percentage of the population.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat May 09, 2020 6:51 pm

alextrombone wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:07 pm
Didn’t they vote against the project because originally there was going to be an immediate 50% cut, but those terms were removed. At least that’s what I got from the article. So it’s not just as simple as “the left are blocking the cut”.

“Sin embargo, la mayor molestia de la oposición se produjo porque también se eliminó la norma transitoria que fijaba una reducción inmediata de hasta un 50% en las dietas parlamentarias.”

I’m not taking a side here, I’m just pointing out what the article says.
the left tried to pass off a 50% cut as a real cut, but it was only for a couple months.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat May 09, 2020 8:25 pm

alextrombone wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 3:59 pm
It is pretty disgusting how much they earn and they’re giving what, a bono of 50 lucas to a small percentage of the population.
Yeah, a pay reduction wouldn't make much difference to the national finances,but it would at least set an example.
The Mayoress of Providencia, Evelyn Matthei, who seems to be the only honest politician in Chile, voluntarily reduced her salary by 30%. And she doesn't get paid a quarter of what those people in Congress take home. She was Immediately attecked for doing so. Public servants and Teachers are still receiving 100% salary btw.

Both central and local government are feeling the pinch, increased social demands vs big reductions in revenue. Something will have to give sooner or later.

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... ncia.shtml

Après moi, le déluge

alextrombone

Post by alextrombone » Sat May 09, 2020 10:11 pm

Let’s get Piñera to stick his hands in his pockets. He’s worth almost $3 billion.