Hello amigos

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Sparkle_Pony
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:33 pm
Contact:

Hello amigos

Post by Sparkle_Pony » Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:11 pm

Buenos días,
I have been following this page for months, the info here is more than helpful.
I am from Perú and my husband is from US. We were living in NY, traveled the last 4 years by van all the way south and fell in love with Chile. It’s such a beautiful country.
We now own a parcela in Cobquecura, which is in the new Region del Ñuble. We made it here just before borders closed and we have been racing this crazy situation all the way to this tiny town.
We need a little help regarding the Residencia Temporaria. We are here as tourists, but we moved here planning on start building and applying to this visa right away, with the Pandemic and offices closed... well we don’t what to do. Usually the only place where you can do trámite by mail is in Santiago, in smaller cities you have to go to the office. I wrote to Migraciones and they told me to send my documents by mail to the office in Chillan but I can’t contact anyone there to confirm this.
Is anyone going through something similar?

Thanks for reading. This Residencia thing should be straight forward but the more I read about it the more I wonder if we will get it.

Cheers and stay healthy everyone
🦄
🦄

Jamers41
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:11 pm

Re: Hello amigos

Post by Jamers41 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:41 pm

Hi there,

I can't speak from experience for how things are done normally in "regiones" (compared to Santiago where I have been living the last 9 years) but here normally you send the application and all requested documents by mail. If someone from Migraciones/Extranjería said you can also apply by mail, I would try that, just don't be surprise if there is another rule change later (it's bureaucracy and we are in a pandemic).

From what I can see at Extranjerías' website, there is now a special site for "frequently asked questions" and they mention that you can apply for an extension of your tourist status there online.

Do you plan to be working here too? I'm curious as to what you meant by "start building."

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 21815
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Hello amigos

Post by admin » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:08 pm

Residency was rapidly passing the point of being a do it yourself project before the virus; now it is definitely not something you can do yourself with a constitutional exception in place.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 21815
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Hello amigos

Post by admin » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:00 pm

Let me put it another way, the "procedure" for applying for residency, would imply there is some standardized set of steps that are repeatable by someone else.

There fundamentally is no "procedure" for applying for residency right now in Chile.

We are doing customized "procedures" for every single residency we are handling now, because every single application is radically different. What use to be an afternoon, now takes an entire logistical plan, just to get the applications in to the system.

Where are they located in the country (or the World)? Do they have access to documents? Is there a quarantine where they are at? Were they stuck in the country when they closed the boarders? What country are they from? Is there a working notary near them? when is it open? How is this normally meaningless random piece of paper the government is requesting, affected by the constitutional exception, the sanitary decrees, etc, etc?

Immigration offices are closed across the country. Most of their staff is either working from home or simply sent home. Notaries are hardly functioning. There is a bunch of half baked online solutions the government has thrown together, that sometimes work (it will be months or years before we know how they did not work). on, and on, and on.

We got people right now that really were just tourist, no intention of moving to Chile, that got stuck the country, and have no documents or way to access the documents from other countries.

At this point, we are expecting to need to file administrative appeals for almost all the applications we are handling right now. Sooner or later, once this mess settles down.

We are trying to juggle all that, while not exposing any of our employees to public places where they might be exposed to the virus.

Like I said over on the other thread, Chile's love of 16th century bureaucratic procedures is finally coming home to roost. They were not very compatible with the plague, and they are definitely not very compatible with a modern society in this sort of situation.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am

Re: Hello amigos

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:50 pm

purest wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:19 pm
Sparkle_Pony wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:11 pm
Buenos días,
I have been following this page for months, the info here is more than helpful.
I am from Perú and my husband is from US. We were living in NY, traveled the last 4 years by van all the way south and fell in love with Chile. It’s such a beautiful country.
We now own a parcela in Cobquecura, which is in the new Region del Ñuble. We made it here just before borders closed and we have been racing this crazy situation all the way to this tiny town.
We need a little help regarding the Residencia Temporaria. We are here as tourists, but we moved here planning on start building and applying to this visa right away, with the Pandemic and offices closed... well we don’t what to do. Usually the only place where you can do trámite by mail is in Santiago, in smaller cities you have to go to the office. I wrote to Migraciones and they told me to send my documents by mail to the office in Chillan but I can’t contact anyone there to confirm this.
Is anyone going through something similar?

Thanks for reading. This Residencia thing should be straight forward but the more I read about it the more I wonder if we will get it.

Cheers and stay healthy everyone
🦄
Hi dear, I thought the Mecosur agreement gave citizens of member countries certain privileges that might require them not to bother with residencia in whichever member country they choose to migrate. Peruvians and citizens of other member SA countries can live and work legally in Chile under the Mercosur (and Associated Members) immigration agreement with no requirement other than being a citizen at birth or a naturalized citizen for over 5 years, and passing a background check.

With that been said, you're covered. And if your husband applied for Peru citizenship over 5 years ago after getting married to you, then he certainly should be covered too under the Mercursor immigration agreement.

So if I'm correct and up-to-date with the info above, you shouldn't have a problem building and doing other economic activities same as Chilean citizens. That was the purpose of the Mecosur agreement in the first place if I'm right. You should look into this before making further decisions
Nope, that's wrong information. There is a different visa for Mercosur citizens, which doesn't include Peru, but even if it did, you still need to go through the legal process. You can request a work permit under this visa while it is being processed (a process that in normal times usually takes 1-2 months), but there is absolutely no waiver of requirements. You do need to apply for a visa, which takes a lot of time to process. I know from experience, as my application started in April 2019 and I only "estapado" my visa in December. Don't push it as there being no requirements.

You can read about it on Extranjeria's website here: https://www.extranjeria.gob.cl/vivir-en ... emporaria/

Basically, it is only ever available to citizens of Argentina, Bolivia, Brasil, Paraguay, and Uruguay. Don't spread misinformation. Don't give immigration advice if you have no idea what you're talking about.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Sparkle_Pony
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Hello amigos

Post by Sparkle_Pony » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:04 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:41 pm
Hi there,

I can't speak from experience for how things are done normally in "regiones" (compared to Santiago where I have been living the last 9 years) but here normally you send the application and all requested documents by mail. If someone from Migraciones/Extranjería said you can also apply by mail, I would try that, just don't be surprise if there is another rule change later (it's bureaucracy and we are in a pandemic).

From what I can see at Extranjerías' website, there is now a special site for "frequently asked questions" and they mention that you can apply for an extension of your tourist status there online.

Do you plan to be working here too? I'm curious as to what you meant by "start building."
Hi!
Thanks for your input.
By “start building” I mean we will start building our home in our new piece of land.

🙃
🦄

Sparkle_Pony
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Hello amigos

Post by Sparkle_Pony » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:14 pm

I appreciate the info about this subject.
I know Perú is not part of Mercosur any more, I have been looking into that.
So what I gather is that we cannot really apply to the Residencia Temporaria on our own? Or that it probably end up nowhere if we even try? I want to start this process and make it the least painful for us, hopefully it won’t take forever. With what’s happening right now I am sure we will have to renew our tourist visas, so we can stay legally in the country but I was hoping to start the Residencia now so we wouldn’t have to do that.
I guess now it’s all about adapting to the current situation.
I should probably contact Spencer Global about my Residencia for legal advice?

Thanks for the support gente linda!
🦄

User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am

Re: Hello amigos

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:21 am

purest wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:58 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:50 pm
purest wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:19 pm
Sparkle_Pony wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:11 pm
Buenos días,
I have been following this page for months, the info here is more than helpful.
I am from Perú and my husband is from US. We were living in NY, traveled the last 4 years by van all the way south and fell in love with Chile. It’s such a beautiful country.
We now own a parcela in Cobquecura, which is in the new Region del Ñuble. We made it here just before borders closed and we have been racing this crazy situation all the way to this tiny town.
We need a little help regarding the Residencia Temporaria. We are here as tourists, but we moved here planning on start building and applying to this visa right away, with the Pandemic and offices closed... well we don’t what to do. Usually the only place where you can do trámite by mail is in Santiago, in smaller cities you have to go to the office. I wrote to Migraciones and they told me to send my documents by mail to the office in Chillan but I can’t contact anyone there to confirm this.
Is anyone going through something similar?

Thanks for reading. This Residencia thing should be straight forward but the more I read about it the more I wonder if we will get it.

Cheers and stay healthy everyone
🦄
Hi dear, I thought the Mecosur agreement gave citizens of member countries certain privileges that might require them not to bother with residencia in whichever member country they choose to migrate. Peruvians and citizens of other member SA countries can live and work legally in Chile under the Mercosur (and Associated Members) immigration agreement with no requirement other than being a citizen at birth or a naturalized citizen for over 5 years, and passing a background check.

With that been said, you're covered. And if your husband applied for Peru citizenship over 5 years ago after getting married to you, then he certainly should be covered too under the Mercursor immigration agreement.

So if I'm correct and up-to-date with the info above, you shouldn't have a problem building and doing other economic activities same as Chilean citizens. That was the purpose of the Mecosur agreement in the first place if I'm right. You should look into this before making further decisions
Nope, that's wrong information. There is a different visa for Mercosur citizens, which doesn't include Peru, but even if it did, you still need to go through the legal process. You can request a work permit under this visa while it is being processed (a process that in normal times usually takes 1-2 months), but there is absolutely no waiver of requirements. You do need to apply for a visa, which takes a lot of time to process. I know from experience, as my application started in April 2019 and I only "estapado" my visa in December. Don't push it as there being no requirements.

You can read about it on Extranjeria's website here:

Basically, it is only ever available to citizens of Argentina, Bolivia, Brasil, Paraguay, and Uruguay. Don't spread misinformation. Don't give immigration advice if you have no idea what you're talking about.
Like my post read, I wasn't sure nor have complete info. I pitched in that opinion to in fact learn more about mercosur from the experienced in the field. I saw the info on wiki, and as we all know wiki is never 100%. I never wrote that with full authority judging by my diction. There cannot be misinformation when i specifically said "look into it" "If I'm correct" "If I'm up to date" "I thought" etc It's a free forum for learning, you don't have get all cocked up so fast to rain it down on me sir

Screenshot_20200418-034954.jpg
If you don't know what you're talking about, then simply don't say it. The official source for immigration in Chile is the immigration department, not any other wiki or website. Immigration mistakes have real consequences on people's lives. Don't spread misinformation.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

User avatar
hlf2888
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 873
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:19 pm
Location: seventh region

Re: Hello amigos

Post by hlf2888 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:57 am

purest wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:41 am
tiagoabner wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:21 am
purest wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 11:58 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:50 pm
purest wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:19 pm
Sparkle_Pony wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:11 pm
Buenos días,
I have been following this page for months, the info here is more than helpful.
I am from Perú and my husband is from US. We were living in NY, traveled the last 4 years by van all the way south and fell in love with Chile. It’s such a beautiful country.
We now own a parcela in Cobquecura, which is in the new Region del Ñuble. We made it here just before borders closed and we have been racing this crazy situation all the way to this tiny town.
We need a little help regarding the Residencia Temporaria. We are here as tourists, but we moved here planning on start building and applying to this visa right away, with the Pandemic and offices closed... well we don’t what to do. Usually the only place where you can do trámite by mail is in Santiago, in smaller cities you have to go to the office. I wrote to Migraciones and they told me to send my documents by mail to the office in Chillan but I can’t contact anyone there to confirm this.
Is anyone going through something similar?

Thanks for reading. This Residencia thing should be straight forward but the more I read about it the more I wonder if we will get it.

Cheers and stay healthy everyone
🦄
Hi dear, I thought the Mecosur agreement gave citizens of member countries certain privileges that might require them not to bother with residencia in whichever member country they choose to migrate. Peruvians and citizens of other member SA countries can live and work legally in Chile under the Mercosur (and Associated Members) immigration agreement with no requirement other than being a citizen at birth or a naturalized citizen for over 5 years, and passing a background check.

With that been said, you're covered. And if your husband applied for Peru citizenship over 5 years ago after getting married to you, then he certainly should be covered too under the Mercursor immigration agreement.

So if I'm correct and up-to-date with the info above, you shouldn't have a problem building and doing other economic activities same as Chilean citizens. That was the purpose of the Mecosur agreement in the first place if I'm right. You should look into this before making further decisions
Nope, that's wrong information. There is a different visa for Mercosur citizens, which doesn't include Peru, but even if it did, you still need to go through the legal process. You can request a work permit under this visa while it is being processed (a process that in normal times usually takes 1-2 months), but there is absolutely no waiver of requirements. You do need to apply for a visa, which takes a lot of time to process. I know from experience, as my application started in April 2019 and I only "estapado" my visa in December. Don't push it as there being no requirements.

You can read about it on Extranjeria's website here:

Basically, it is only ever available to citizens of Argentina, Bolivia, Brasil, Paraguay, and Uruguay. Don't spread misinformation. Don't give immigration advice if you have no idea what you're talking about.
Like my post read, I wasn't sure nor have complete info. I pitched in that opinion to in fact learn more about mercosur from the experienced in the field. I saw the info on wiki, and as we all know wiki is never 100%. I never wrote that with full authority judging by my diction. There cannot be misinformation when i specifically said "look into it" "If I'm correct" "If I'm up to date" "I thought" etc It's a free forum for learning, you don't have get all cocked up so fast to rain it down on me sir

Screenshot_20200418-034954.jpg
If you don't know what you're talking about, then simply don't say it. The official source for immigration in Chile is the immigration department, not any other wiki or website. Immigration mistakes have real consequences on people's lives. Don't spread misinformation.
Probably thought you had any wits in that big empty head of yours. And was gonna waste my time to try make anything clear. That was a momentarily weakness on my part. Initially thought most people here mature sensible folks, Didnt think you could be some asshole full of himself playing god around here. It's reasonable enough for you to ignore whatever I wrote and make up things in your head favorable enough to give u the erection u desire to own the air around here. Find someone else for your fame-hunting clown AND yes We can say what we don't know about and stand to be corrected not demeaned, that's why it's a forum fool nobody is your lawyer or legal adviser here. Whatever anyone reads here they must check out themselves not to talk of when poster says so. You can go open your own forum and tell your members not to comment cos maybe what they say can cause WW3 or whatever u can make up in your runt head scumbag
Hmm, you joined this forum 4 days ago, are already sharing disinformation and getting argumentative and confrontational. Maybe the US would be more suitable destination for you. Your temperament might fit in better there. Here, we try to have civilized discourse with accurate info and without character defamations and name calling.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 8157
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Hello amigos

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:55 am

Can't believe admin did not even check origin of posts. I'll just say it is from a renowned scammer oil-rich country in Africa.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

User avatar
tiagoabner
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:48 am

Re: Hello amigos

Post by tiagoabner » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:22 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:55 am
Can't believe admin did not even check origin of posts. I'll just say it is from a renowned scammer oil-rich country in Africa.
4-day account, never introduced himself per the forum rules, never been to Chile, posting wrong information and freaking out when I call them out in their bullshit.

I guess they were lucky that admin was sleeping. :lol:

I only hope that OP doesn't decide to act upon information from this guy.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Sparkle_Pony
Rank: Chile Forum Tourist
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Hello amigos

Post by Sparkle_Pony » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:07 am

Please everyone. Info has been cleared. This post and forum exists to help each other with info, or experience. Let’s not get sidetracked with unnecessary arguments.

Thanks a lot. I am still looking for info regarding Residencia Temporaria situation. I hope you can calm your minds.
🦄

Post Reply