Permanencia Definitiva Background Check Translated?

General topics related to Living in Chile
vamoschile

Permanencia Definitiva Background Check Translated?

Post by vamoschile » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:05 pm

All,

Does the background check required for the Permanencia Definitiva require translation? Will extranjera accept it untranslated?

Thanks

vamoschile

Re: Permanencia Definitiva Background Check Translated?

Post by vamoschile » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:37 pm

I got an email back from extranjeria. It is not required to be translation if its in english for visas but would be required for citizenship.

Jamers41

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:01 pm

Good to know......thanks for the tip.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:37 pm

a couple of years ago they were using it as an excuse to slow down the tsunami of aplications.

now, not so much. just be prepared for them to request it for arbitrary reasons. especially if it is blank.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:41 pm

think about it.

out of 100 applications from Haitians, Venezuela, etc, simply asking for a police record was sufficient to make 80% plus go away.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:43 pm

of the remaining, making them shell out up to $100 u.s. or more for an official foriegn affairs translation sure shrinked that pool of aplications fast.

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:09 pm

Admin is 100% correct they have essentially weeded out a lot of people from applying for permanencia definitiva. For example I am from the states and to get the FBI background check and apostille it within their time frame is kind of tight and hard to do without shelling out a lot of money. Below is the outline of what its taking and the cost.

1. Finger prints required. You have to go to Santiago and there are only two places that do it that the embassy recommends. Cost for this is 60$ more of less.
2. DHL prioirity to the FBI channler costs about 50$.
3. FBI channler fee is 50$.
4. Apostille the FBI background check costs 189$ to send it somewhere in the USA or to mail it to chile its an additional 100$.

The total to get an FBI background check done is 449$ if you live in Santiago. If you need to travel to get the finger prints it only goes up from there. Well you might say why not just get a state background check. I believe in the law of murphy and I know if I submit a state/local background check they will reject because its not the FBI. To me getting the FBI background check make its easier for the Chilean goverment worker to accept it.

I don't know how hard it is for a Venezuelan or Haitian to get their background check but the US process is a little ridiculous and costly. I did go into the registro civil and got my chilean background check in 5 minutes for a total cost of 1,000 pesos.

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:21 pm

vamoschile wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:09 pm
Admin is 100% correct they have essentially weeded out a lot of people from applying for permanencia definitiva. For example I am from the states and to get the FBI background check and apostille it within their time frame is kind of tight and hard to do without shelling out a lot of money. Below is the outline of what its taking and the cost.

1. Finger prints required. You have to go to Santiago and there are only two places that do it that the embassy recommends. Cost for this is 60$ more of less.
4. Apostille the FBI background check costs 189$ to send it somewhere in the USA or to mail it to chile its an additional 100$.

The total to get an FBI background check done is 449$ if you live in Santiago. If you need to travel to get the finger prints it only goes up from there. Well you might say why not just get a state background check. I believe in the law of murphy and I know if I submit a state/local background check they will reject because its not the FBI. To me getting the FBI background check make its easier for the Chilean goverment worker to accept it.

I don't know how hard it is for a Venezuelan or Haitian to get their background check but the US process is a little ridiculous and costly. I did go into the registro civil and got my chilean background check in 5 minutes for a total cost of 1,000 pesos.
I honestly think that it does not matter if you have a state issued background check as long as it is apostilled. I do not recall exactly, but I believe the requirement just states a criminal history check from country of origin.

vamoschile

Post by vamoschile » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:28 am

GAminer wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:21 pm
vamoschile wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:09 pm

I honestly think that it does not matter if you have a state issued background check as long as it is apostilled. I do not recall exactly, but I believe the requirement just states a criminal history check from country of origin.
You are probably right but knowing my luck if I submit a state background check Chile would deny it. I would rather just be overly cautious and do everything I can to get the residency accepted the first time. I travel a lot and don't want to be in visa limbo any long then I have to. Plus thanks for the economic stimulus money from the USA we are getting free money!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:43 pm

purest wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:41 pm
If I may ask, how long would it normally take to get the permanent residence. And during the waiting period, do they issue any document to enable multiple entry to avoid issues with immigration?
start to finish, before the crisis, with normal immigration backlog, about 1.5 to 2 years.

once temporary residency is granted, you can come and go from the country as you like, as long as you are here 180 days with in one year to qualify for permanent residency.

after permanent residence is granted, you can come and go as you please.

now, that all assumes there is somewhere for you to go. boarders, airplanes, etc are working.