coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
Jamers41

Re: coronavirus (COVID-19) in Chile

Post by Jamers41 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:12 pm

So this will obviously not directly affect many forumites here, but I noticed that the US just passed its mega stimulus spending bill thing that will supposedly get "checks in the mail" to many Americans.......anybody know if they limited that to US residents or if it includes US citizens regardless of where they live?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:26 pm

Jamers41 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:12 pm
So this will obviously not directly affect many forumites here, but I noticed that the US just passed its mega stimulus spending bill thing that will supposedly get "checks in the mail" to many Americans.......anybody know if they limited that to US residents or if it includes US citizens regardless of where they live?
They are supposedly working out the details. And it will be based on tax returns but no word yet what happens if the tax return has a non-US/non-US territory address. As expats, expect to get screwed again.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:40 pm

The ramifications are huge. A young friend about to start a new job in the US (chemist, so no working from home) is now housebound. No money coming in and wondering where the rent money will come from. He would prefer to save what he has to be able to eat. He is worried about getting evicted. So far there is no impediment for rental companies to do that. But no one is likely to be able to rent now so maybe that will halt things. What's the point in kicking someone out if you can't fill the space again anyway. Here a lot of property rental is more a one owner paying off the mortgage with the rent he/she receives. Knock on effect could be huge depending on how long this lasts.

dmwbmw2

Post by dmwbmw2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:47 pm

Moved to Concepcion from Santiago 5 years ago and I have never been to a hospital or a clinic in that time.
In the event that my wife or myself get sick enough to need hospitalization where would be the best place to go?

I have no idea where they have emergency and inpatients, proper infrastructure etc.

Looking back, this is info I should have had at my fingertips in any case, especially being mid 60s and an avid motorcyclist. But it took this crisis to make me think about it.

Any experience in this matter?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:49 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:26 pm
Jamers41 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:12 pm
They are supposedly working out the details. And it will be based on tax returns but no word yet what happens if the tax return has a non-US/non-US territory address. As expats, expect to get screwed again.
na, it is looking like this is going screw everyone.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:56 pm

The funeral of the first victim of the virus in Chile.
71c6e459-3807-49fd-98f6-8ec217378711.jpeg
all the family is quarantine.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

ctroxell

Post by ctroxell » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:31 pm

dmwbmw2 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:47 pm
Moved to Concepcion from Santiago 5 years ago and I have never been to a hospital or a clinic in that time.
In the event that my wife or myself get sick enough to need hospitalization where would be the best place to go?

I have no idea where they have emergency and inpatients, proper infrastructure etc.

Looking back, this is info I should have had at my fingertips in any case, especially being mid 60s and an avid motorcyclist. But it took this crisis to make me think about it.

Any experience in this matter?
In 2014 we had great world class care at Sanatorio Aleman when my wife was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and had emergency surgery. Great doctors and staff.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:11 pm

Don't have an accident or potentially serious chronic condition cause you are no longer a priority at the local hospital or clinic.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:03 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:11 pm
Don't have an accident or potentially serious chronic condition cause you are no longer a priority at the local hospital or clinic.
actually, had an employee that had to take her father to the emergency room in Temuco this morning. She said there was no one at the hospital. everyone had canceled anything that could be delayed. plus, no one wants to go to a hospital unless they have to.

will that last? probably not.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:08 pm

Argentina is going to blowup.

they went from only so far being able to test 100 people per day, to 200 now.

supposedly they are suppose to get the provinces the ability to test this week.

but currently it sounds like it is taking two to three days to get a test completed, if they are testing at all.

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/argenti ... irus.phtml

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:10 pm

7 comunas in Santiago to be locked down tomorrow at 22.00

Andres

Post by Andres » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:41 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:40 pm
The ramifications are huge. A young friend about to start a new job in the US (chemist, so no working from home) is now housebound. No money coming in and wondering where the rent money will come from. He would prefer to save what he has to be able to eat. He is worried about getting evicted. So far there is no impediment for rental companies to do that. But no one is likely to be able to rent now so maybe that will halt things. What's the point in kicking someone out if you can't fill the space again anyway. Here a lot of property rental is more a one owner paying off the mortgage with the rent he/she receives. Knock on effect could be huge depending on how long this lasts.
Apparently, the effects on US commercial real estate will be even more significant:
https://www.zerohedge.com/economics/tot ... aying-rent
Chile: My expectations are low. Very low.
I accept chaos. I'm not sure whether it accepts me.