Teaching At Universities in Chile

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

JayDPS

Teaching At Universities in Chile

Post by JayDPS » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:13 am

Hello all,

I saw another post (it was from almost 8 years ago honestly) about teaching in Chile at Universities, but I thought I would let my own qualifications be known in my own post in order to get a fuller idea of how to go about applying to jobs in Santiago specifically. I've been researching, but this place looks like a valuable resource--much thanks in advance!

ABOUT ME: I am graduating this May with my masters/MFA (creative writing) from an English Department, I have a BA already (in Spanish), and I was hoping to arrive in Chile sometime in our shortly after August of 2020. Also, teaching-experience-wise, I have been teaching University students from first to fourth year level English courses (Composition I, II, Creative Writing, and Technical Writing) the past three years, and I have also been an adjunct instructor at a community college near my University for a year, and I am currently the Assistant Director of Technical Writing.

GOAL: I'm looking to work at a University in Santiago if at all possible. Most likely in teaching English.

My main questions are as follows:
1) Are my qualifications feasible to find... anything like what I'm looking for? Or should I lower my expectations in this endeavor?
2) Is there a university-specific job board that I should be looking at in Santiago/Chile?
3) Is sending my CV and a cover letter to the director of an English department (or someone else) a good idea? Cover Letter in Spanish or English?
4) What time of year do you recommend job-hunting? (Job hunting too far in advance/too late if I start now? Is networking via sending CV out okay?)
5) Lastly, would it be worthwhile to pay to obtain a TESOL/TEFL Certificate, or would that not matter at a University really?

Thank you so much,
JD

chilly

Re: Teaching At Universities in Chile

Post by chilly » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:46 am

If you are a Bernie Sanders supporter, you may fit in... I often hear that it is who you know that makes a difference. First ask EVERY single person at every university that you work with if they know ANYONE at a Santiago university. Maybe they do and that may get things started.
Or wait six hours for a real answer.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:52 am

JayDPS wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:13 am
Hello all,

I saw another post (it was from almost 8 years ago honestly) about teaching in Chile at Universities, but I thought I would let my own qualifications be known in my own post in order to get a fuller idea of how to go about applying to jobs in Santiago specifically. I've been researching, but this place looks like a valuable resource--much thanks in advance!

ABOUT ME: I am graduating this May with my masters/MFA (creative writing) from an English Department, I have a BA already (in Spanish), and I was hoping to arrive in Chile sometime in our shortly after August of 2020. Also, teaching-experience-wise, I have been teaching University students from first to fourth year level English courses (Composition I, II, Creative Writing, and Technical Writing) the past three years, and I have also been an adjunct instructor at a community college near my University for a year, and I am currently the Assistant Director of Technical Writing.

GOAL: I'm looking to work at a University in Santiago if at all possible. Most likely in teaching English.

My main questions are as follows:
1) Are my qualifications feasible to find... anything like what I'm looking for? Or should I lower my expectations in this endeavor?
2) Is there a university-specific job board that I should be looking at in Santiago/Chile?
3) Is sending my CV and a cover letter to the director of an English department (or someone else) a good idea? Cover Letter in Spanish or English?
4) What time of year do you recommend job-hunting? (Job hunting too far in advance/too late if I start now? Is networking via sending CV out okay?)
5) Lastly, would it be worthwhile to pay to obtain a TESOL/TEFL Certificate, or would that not matter at a University really?

Thank you so much,
JD
Highly doubt an MA is going get you in the door at a university here. Private language schools probably.

On the other hand, the social crisis crap has spooked a lot of the foreign teachers out of the country; so they might be desperate to fill positions this year. With university experience, might also give you a boost.

Typically they start hunting for new teachers after the vacation in February.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:17 pm

In general, the top universities have professors with further degrees. This can vary a bit by subject. Certainly the sciences wouldn't hire anyone with less than a doctorate. I have a friend (Chilean) who works in the English department (not the Head) of a major university. She has an impressive cv and a doctorate. In some smaller colleges the English department will consist of one native speaker and then local teachers. You don't need to be a native speaker to be a really good teacher but it looks good to have a native speaker at the top. So there are some very qualified people in university positions. You don't lose anything by asking. Contact the head of the English department for initial feedback. Cover letter in English.

JayDPS

Post by JayDPS » Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:55 am

Thanks guys! You've been super helpful.

Not sure if I need the certificate or not, but I think I'm going to contact some friends that did this in Spain and also see if I can get a hold of a program that does this certification to hear their thoughts as well.

I wasn't sure if Chile had an "adjunct instructor" pool similar to the USA or not--those positions are usually easier to obtain without a PhD, despite my degree being a terminal degree for my area in the US (i.e. most of the tenure track faculty in my area only hold an MFA). So I was wondering how they might view it in Chile.

Thank you for all the wonderful and great feedback! I'll be reading if anyone comments anymore as well.