Chile Political and Social Crisis 2019

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Chile Political and Social Crisis 2019

Post by admin » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:09 pm

I think I am going to file a human rights complaint.

If I am going to have to suffer through a revolution, I should not have to suffer through such a dull and unoriginal revolution. This is just torture.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:20 pm

or, at least the consumer protection agency owes me a refund:

For failure to provide a fully satisfying revolution.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:25 pm

admin wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:09 pm
If I am going to have to suffer through a revolution, I should not have to suffer through such a dull and unoriginal revolution. This is just torture.
Diego Portales (1822):
"..The Democratic system that the deluded continually proclaim is an absurdity in degenerate countries like the Americas, where the citizens completely lack the morality needed to establish a true republic....

...When they do [finally] acquire Morality, then by all means let there be a completely liberal government, where all citizens can freely participate. This is my opinion, and any person with reasonable judgement thinks the same."
Don't think they ever got that far, not really.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:55 am

ohhhhhh, I sooooo hope the government has more to work with than this, because it is just embarrassing how ignorant it is:
según informaciones provenientes de Estados Unidos, alrededor del 10% de las comunicaciones por Internet y los tuits enviados desde el día 18 de octubre provienen de un país de Europa Oriental y, de ese porcentaje, una gran mayoría estaban orientados a generar desinformación en Chile y otra parte estaba destinada a crear un clima hostil hacia Chile en el extranjero
o.k., so for weeks there has been this back and forth thing about foreign intervention, but the intel chile recieved is supposedly classified. now suddenly the foriegn minster is leaking the above nugget in this interview that they got from the u.s. gov.

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... etro.shtml

let me put that another way.

10% server traffic out of eastern Europe probably would not even catch my attention in my server logs; and it definitely would not crash my server. We had way more than 10% traffic, and our servers are not even in Chile.

In fact, I would qualify that as simply "tourist traffic". By that I mean Chile was in the news, and that draws attention of some region in particular to Chile. thus, people start googling things about chile, etc. It also tends to draw the attention of just your regular old bot nets, that are often retasked to follow high profile events. most are just relatively harmless spam and scams.

Remember, prior to this mess, putin was scheduled to visit for APEC. with only 18 million people in Chile, generating 10% of the total country traffic would probably be explained by people looking for an airbnb deal or simply trying to figure out "where the hell is Chile". Hell, just spy agencies and security agencies doing their ho hum regular background investigations would generate that much traffic. Some secretaries at the FSB (KGB), were probably just googling "who the hell is pinera" or "hot babes in Chile"?

That is not hostile traffic. That is just the internet.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:08 am

ohhh, this just get's more and more embarrassing.

Seems the government has discovered the internet finally in 2019, and how to search google and social media.

Their conclusion is that more or less the internet must be one big conspiracy to overthrow the government of Chile:

https://www.latercera.com/la-tercera-do ... ia/947967/

holy shit. Someone really really needs to be fired; a lot of someones.

because I would seriously start questioning anyone involved in producing this "big data" study ability to configure their own email account, let alone provide a nations cyber security needs.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:54 am

admin wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:08 am
ohhh, this just get's more and more embarrassing.

Seems the government has discovered the internet finally in 2019, and how to search google and social media.

Their conclusion is that more less the internet must be one big conspiracy to overthrow the government of Chile:

https://www.latercera.com/la-tercera-do ... ia/947967/

holy shit. Someone really really needs to be fired; a lot of someones.

because I would seriously start questioning anyone involved in producing this "big data" study ability to configure their own email account, let alone provide a nations cyber security needs.
When their own money gathering site the TGR , (tesoreria of republic) website nearly ways runs like shit and slow or crashes, you know IT is not this (or any govts) priority.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:54 am

a few days ago or so, when it came up in news articles, that the government was releasing to the prosecutor this "open source" or "public source" info related to this grand conspiracy against Chile's national security, I was thinking like 'great they got some ISP server logs, perhaps some honeypot data, some private chats from some groups they infiltrated, perhaps some bots they reversed engineered, etc'.

I was not expecting them to do anything too stunning, like say have a smoking gun conversations between Putin and Maduro, they hacked off maduro's or Putin's personal computer.

Just some ho hum cyber security 101 type stuff; and, I am really not all that up to date on all the latest techniques. last time I paid any real attention to that stuff, was the snowden dumps. Hell, I am probably 20 years behind.

but, 'we googled it' is the best they got? Someone said something mean about us on facebook, then they said something meaner about us on Twitter?

WTF, is the whole government made up of 13 year old girls that got their feelings hurt on the internet?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:02 am

o.k., that last comment is not fair.

most 13 yearold girls would know more about how the internet functions, than these morons.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:08 am

admin wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:54 am
a few days ago or so, when it came up in news articles, that the government was releasing to the prosecutor this "open source" or "public source" info related to this grand conspiracy against Chile's national security, I was thinking like 'great they got some ISP server logs, perhaps some honeypot data, some private chats from some groups they infiltrated, perhaps some bots they reversed engineered, etc'.

I was not expecting them to do anything too stunning, like say have a smoking gun conversations between Putin and Maduro, they hacked off maduro's or Putin's personal computer.

Just some ho hum cyber security 101 type stuff; and, I am really not all that up to date on all the latest techniques. last time I paid any real attention to that stuff, was the snowden dumps. Hell, I am probably 20 years behind.

but, 'we googled it' is the best they got? Someone said something mean about us on facebook, then they said something meaner about us on Twitter?

WTF, is the whole government made up of 13 year old girls that got their feelings hurt on the internet?
To be fair I dont think it's just Chiles govt that doesn't have a friggin clue, a lot of politicos or public servants dont really have clue anywhere.
Look at the sorts of idiotic questions Zuckerberg faced in Senate and committees last year in the states.
Earlier this year the boss of treasury in NZ was forced to leave earlier than had been planned after he called the police claiming the opposition politicos had hacked sensitive treasury and budget information and leaked it. Turned out all they did was use Google and keywords and found cached pages and draft information that was supposed to be embargoed for the press but was still publicly viewable on their website.
Yeah apart from a very few, most middle age/old politicians dont have a clue about anything like social media etc or even the internet.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

mem

Post by mem » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:15 am

Which brings us full circle to "less is more" when it comes to government. Bureaucracy breeds paralysis and incompetence

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:21 am

That is why you go hire "experts" to handle things like this; unfortunately, I have not met many computer "experts" in Chile. The few I have, probably get paid way more than the government is willing to pay.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:53 am

What I did notice was that amongst all the panic posts on a travel website dedicated to Chile a very definite presence of a couple of brand new participants either linking to all the worst videos of what was happening in Chile or dire warnings about visiting. These people were, according to them, not in Chile nor had apparent plans to come. At first I put it down to someone with their head buried in the internet who thought that was where you found out about real life. But it was relentless and so strange that someone would take such an interest. You did actually have to follow their posts to see the pattern. The posts were subtly misleading. They only tailed off a bit, but did not stop, when people actually kept their plans and came to Chile. All that feedback was 100% positive. People changed lodging if needed, avoided certain areas, remained flexible and had a good time.

This sort of thing will never be a statistic as it is impossible to prove intent - there are plenty of useful idiots on social media - but can also do a lot of damage to a country with very little effort. Possibly this was just someone with particular political views and not some orchestrated attack, but it was impressive the number of posts and the ease with which people, unfamiliar with the manipulation possible on social media, gave these posts value. At this point fewer do because of the feedback from people who have actually come and seen with their own eyes.

This is only one small example of "foreign interference" but it must have been repeated on many different websites and blogs, A sort of death by a thousand cuts. I think the government is struggling to put a statistic to this, impossible, but it must be very frustrating not to be able to do so in any credible way.