State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
chilly

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by chilly » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:34 pm

I saw yesterday’s Plaza Italia protest through a YouTube live stream on T13. The archived stream is still listed. There is currently a protest streaming from “plaza de dignidad” from left voice on YouTube . Yesterday I watched for a minute while a group was trying to pull down a light pole and then changed channels.

It seems YouTube is the place to watch live protests

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:44 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:18 pm
Dosedmonkey wrote:
The high number of eye injuries is because shotguns are being used to fire rubber pellets that scatter.
Rubber pellets made mainly of metal.

Balines usados por Carabineros: Estudio revela que solo un 20% de su composición es de goma

Esta investigación detalló que solo un 20% de la estructura de los balines corresponde a caucho (goma), lo que guardaría relación con el severo daño que estos elementos han causado a más de 200 personas que han sufrido heridas oculares.

... la muestra, que en este caso fueron dos proyectiles que “se habrían obtenido de pacientes afectados por impacto de dichos proyectiles durante las manifestaciones”.

https://www.mega.cl/noticias/nacional/2 ... ocial.html
Those wrist rockets are a type of very powerful catapult, and I have fired ball bearings through ply wood easy with them before.
At what distance? 20 metres? And so far, despite the previous messages, there is no evidence that they were using 'metal balls'.
I believe they are just made of a hard rubber.
There is a lot of footage of the guys carrying little bags of ball bearings and marbles. There is another bit of footage of a youth with a pistol. I presume they are probably BB/pellet pistols, as when fired you see nothing. But a silly game to play.

Anyway now Carabineros have been doing 20th century dictatorship adbuction, but on 2019 with every person owning a hand held mobile phone, I expect you'll see a lot more violence then a few slingshot catapults. Carabineros failed to go for hearts and minds and just gone back to full fascism. Which will just cause people in the middle ground to have to chose whether they oppose or support a fascist police state.

I was defending their actions (except for using shotguns) before, a few Carabineros getting violent. But abductions by a entire unit of Carabineros on top of all that. I wouldn't be seen defending them dead now.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:56 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:01 pm
Space Cat wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:45 pm
The director of the Santiago Stock Exchange resigns, says the economic elites and politicians are to blame for the crisis:

https://www.elmostrador.cl/dia/2019/11/ ... -santiago/
But as Chileans say, "es lo que hay"
That is exactly what got chile in to this fucking mess.

want to not get robbed?

"es lo que hay"

do you want more money?

"es lo que hay"

want better education?

"es lo que hay"

want water?

"es lo que hay"

etc, etc,....
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:04 pm

Dosedmonkey wrote:
You just replied to a quote with the following headline:
Balines usados por Carabineros: Estudio revela que solo un 20% de su composición es de goma
When only 20% is rubber, I don't think it makes too much difference if that 20% is hard or soft rubber.

Zenth

Post by Zenth » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:10 pm

I did suggest subcontracting Chile's administration out to the Swiss, or some other upright nation some years ago, as a joke....

Don't laugh. A frew hundred years ago Poland did just that. They had three leaders, one was from Sweden.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:37 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:04 pm
Dosedmonkey wrote:
You just replied to a quote with the following headline:
When only 20% is rubber, I don't think it makes too much difference if that 20% is hard or soft rubber.
But you read the article, it doesn't tell you the percentage of the other composites. So completely suspect, as silica, silicon, is just synthetic rubber and probably accounts for the other 79%.... Honest why would they put lead in it. It probably is steel or iron too. The whole article looks like the least scientific thing I have read this year...

I mean they're just a reporter writing propoganda. I'm just an engineer who works with materials every day, so what would I know....
And yeah I know my history too, especially military, hence knowing there is a lot of different types of weapons that count as catapults.

Barium sulphate is a high density rubber compound.
Barium sulfate (the mineral baryte, BaSO4) is important to the petroleum industry as a drilling fluid in oil and gas wells.[8]:4–5 The precipitate of the compound (called "blanc fixe", from the French for "permanent white") is used in paints and varnishes; as a filler in ringing ink, plastics, and rubbers; as a paper coating pigment; and in nanoparticles, to improve physical properties of some polymers, such as epoxies.[7]:9

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:46 pm

But why are the eyes hit specifically? Is it because the body is being hit over and over again but they don't cause an injury? Like for every eye hit there are 20 or 100 body hits that don't do damage, so sooner or later for every 100 body hits there will be 1 eye hit just randomly, in which cause there must be huge numbers of body hits?

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:49 pm

I think the police need to fire and prosecute some of their own staff, and perhaps the head of police needs to resign and a new one promise to do better. Otherwise the amount of abuses, violence and poor behaviour has reached an unacceptable level.

chilechinadollz

Post by chilechinadollz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:51 pm

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:37 pm
Chile's doomed. Footage of Carabineros arresting a boy. Then the girl trying to film it on her mobile gets blocked against fence, then she dodged out of it, she thinks she is safe videoing so gets too close, then they grab her and quickly abduct her in the van, thinking no one was watching. But all the apartments are watching and videoing. Total illegal abduction which will cause hundreds of thousands to doubt the Carabineros. I just lost hope for a good outcome. That is pure propoganda/reason for an insurgency. They crossed a major line.

https://twitter.com/phillip_molina/stat ... 45921?s=20

Regarding this video. Could look at if from a different perspective. Just saying... but there are guns and stun guns made to look like Iphones, in Chile police are schooled to look for these. Since that young woman was inserting herself into the middle of an active arrest rather aggressively, multiple times she was pushed away...

A Minnesota company has invented a handgun that folds up to look just like a smartphone.
The .380-caliber pistol, called Ideal Conceal, will be available later this year (2016) and "will be virtually undetectable because it hides in plain sight," Ideal Conceal says on its website.

In locked position, the two-shot plastic gun with a metal core can be discreetly slipped into pockets, like a real phone. But "with one click of the safety it opens and is ready to fire," Ideal Conceal claims.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/co ... ne-n547221

Stun guns that look like iphones:
https://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.c ... -gun-white
https://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.c ... n-gun-pink

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:53 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:01 pm
I did suggest subcontracting Chile's administration out to the Swiss, or some other upright nation some years ago, as a joke....
Far from a joke, Ancient Rus' was bootstrapped like this: the Slavic tribes invited some viking nobles to rule them because they had "no order" in their lands.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Britkid wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:46 pm
But why are the eyes hit specifically? Is it because the body is being hit over and over again but they don't cause an injury? Like for every eye hit there are 20 or 100 body hits that don't do damage, so sooner or later for every 100 body hits there will be 1 eye hit just randomly, in which cause there must be huge numbers of body hits?
Yes their bodies are getting peppered, at close range, a few meters the balls penetrate, there has been photos of the close discharges and balls lodged in people.

At long range, over 5 meters maybe closer to 10, the balls hurt with no chance of penetration, but if they hit you in the eye, even at 100 meters or more there is a chance of blinding you. Some of the examples I have seen on twitter people have measured it out, serious eye trauma at 40 meters.

Eyes are rediculiously vunerable to anything small, that's why in a lot of the industrial world now it is mandatory to wear eye protection as soon as you enter the security perimeter of a site.
Also why the only rubber rounds used in the UK and a would hope a lot of other countries now are the large baton rounds, too big to penetrate a eye socket. But strong enough to knock you off your feet and take the wind out of you. In Northern Ireland rubber bullets from the army had the exact same problem with eyes, but much smaller amount of eye injuries as they were not shotgun discharge but actual bullets, so less likely to hit an eye as only one release per trigger pulled.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:57 pm

The other thing that really worries me is all these people screaming "paco culiado" and whatever else and going nuts in the videos. They just lose their head. If there are enough people like that, we are all in trouble. Most of these videos seem to have at least one person screeching and losing control. They make me nervous.