Barn meeting and Curanto

General topics related to Living in Chile
41southchile

Barn meeting and Curanto

Post by 41southchile » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:48 am

Well I think I am going to take a break from here and a break from all media I hope, for the next few days maybe weeks, in the 5 or 7 stages of grief I'm not sure where I am at , and its certainly not linear, anger and optimism seem to pop up quite a bit.

So anyway, going to have a get together, hopefully spin out some ideas etc, and since some friends are coming to Chile we wanted to show them something positive, and any excuse really to relax and mix it up over a beer and good conversation, and over a curanto this time. We have never done a curanto before, one of my staff members originally from Calbuco is going to organize it and prepare it, he's done them many times.

So yeah, all welcome to come and chew the fat as they say. Thanks for the discussion and ideas, links etc. See ya sometime in the future and I will be back here, right now, things to organize.
I'll still come on to answer any questions here, but feel I'm spending too much time on here🤔🤣. Email me directly if you want

Who said there is no such thing as a Free Lunch?
Greetings all, just wanted to share with you what we are planning and hope as many of you as possible can make it, it's not entirely free as you will have to make it to Los Lagos region.

Who? Me, Matt Saywell, originally from New Zealand, living in Chile permanently for seven years, first came here 25 years ago, plus my team here at Loncotorolivin, are the organisers.

What? A gathering to bring together people from different walks of life to enjoy and share a traditional Curanto lunch in a rural setting in Los Lagos region. With the goals of developing business ideas, creating contacts, sharing of new and borrowed ideas to advance progress for all, plus inclusive ways of conducting business in Llanquihue county, ideas that we hope can be replicated in other regions. Also a great experience for everyone and something different.

Why? We want to be part of the change and contribute ideas and suggestions and break from some of the old ways of doing things, but we need your help too. Help be part of the solution and way forward, help create a business incubator and strengthen people to people contacts from our community with the rest of the country&world.

When? Monday the 25th of November 2019, 9 am till 4 pm. The curanto lunch will be about 1 pm to 3.30 pm, but if you want to experience the whole process and experience the country life, you are welcome anytime from 9 am

Where? Our property near Llanquihue township in Los Lagos region, 25 minutes from Puerto Montt airport.

How? Fly, bus or drive. Flights coming on Saturday 23rd till Monday 25th returning between 7 and 9 pm are currently about 30,000 pesos round trip from Santiago, we can provide a couple of options for local accommodation nearby.

if you would like to participate in this, please contact me on: mateo1977 at gmail.com or 569 68233403 on WhatsApp.
Entry is a donation to the local Loncotoro (nearest village to us) fire department, suggested donation minimum 10,000 pesos. The curanto lunch and some drinks are covered by me in the expectation you can contribute positively with your expertise and ideas and stories, or contacts, or maybe an investment into a local project or local business or whatever.

Talk soon,
Take care out there.
Matt.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

admin
Site Admin

Re: Barn meeting and Curanto

Post by admin » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:33 pm

Probably not a bad idea.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:34 pm

I just joked to my wife a little while ago, I think I am going to throw an early new years party, and declare 2019 over with; because I am so over it. :lol:

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:16 am

Ok just an update, on the curanto event on Monday the 25th of November.
Someone sent me this the other day
"I think you say more about what you've already established and what your vision is. Without that context, the picture your invitation paints isn't enough to convey the credibility you deserve."
🤔
I appreciated the feedback because it made me think.
So starting from the base that I'm a New Zealander who has made Chile his home, and is committed to the country, I still cant change the fact I was born in New Zealand and spent 3/4 of my life living there I am wired a certain way I guess.
I dont consider myself a Chilean yet, because I dont have the picture that clear as to what it means to be a Chilean, I thought I knew, but still dont, and things I've done since I've been here I wouldn't characterise then as typically Chilean. Living in Chile doesn't automatically make you identity as Chilean, theres lots of attributes of Chileans I love and embrace, others I'd prefer not to be a part of.

I googled "characteristics of New Zealanders", and it describes the way I feel, so I'll stick with that.
I think the best way for people to see what we have established is to come and visit us, otherwise it just sounds like some guy boasting on the internet, which I dont like either .

"New Zealanders are quite humble people. They don't like bragging about their achievements, and they equally hate hearing anyone being boastful about their own feats"

As for our vision, well its nothing set in stone, but I guess it's a perfect example of "build it and they will come".

I cant change the way others act and the way this country is, and I'm not trying to, I can only control how I act and behave and probably sooner more people realise that change only comes when they look inside themselves the better the country will be.

All I've tried to do since I've been here in Loncotoro, is live how I was raised in New Zealand, my formation and experiences there and everything I have experienced and learnt here in Chile is the end result.

Here's an article that explains what it means to be a kiwi and probably sums up better than I can in how I live my life.

https://stories.ehf.org/what-does-it-me ... c9b1874cda

Also Someone just sent me this, that was in Latercera this morning, which is a coincidence.

https://www.latercera.com/la-tercera-do ... es/894889/

So yeah, Monday the 25th of November, come and see what we are up, and the possibilities .

This is not an ordinary subdivision, it's a community, it's a way of getting back to what's important, talking and listening, learning and sharing, inclusion and equality,
fairness and objectivity. This is not an ordinary way of doing things, because we are not ordinary people.

Although we started this well before the shit hit the fan like it did over three weeks ago, now more than ever people are looking for authenticity and enough bullshit already.

Hope that helps. Clear as mud.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

peregrine77

Post by peregrine77 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:42 am

Wendita and I will enjoy attending your curanto, it is always nice and often informative to spend time with you, your family and friends.
All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.
Simon and Garfunkel

passport

Post by passport » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:52 am

BUMP - - - - Monday the 25th - - -

Mark that date, folks!

Bring good will and an open mind

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:06 pm

peregrine77 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:42 am
Wendita and I will enjoy attending your curanto, it is always nice and often informative to spend time with you, your family and friends.
Look forward to seeing you guys here. any one else in the region, Monday the 25th November all welcome.
The mayor is invited, dont know if he will show.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:21 am

Getting ready for Monday, beautiful warm sunny day here today , Monday not so much,🤔 a bit of rain and a bit cooler, so bring a jacket. The barn/central command of the loncotorolivin is big enough to shelter everyone though. Probably about 50 or 60 coming, still some cheap flights from Santiago, come and experience some southern hospitality.
All day Monday, curanto eatting between 1.30 and 3.30pm
Entry is a donation to the bomberos, suggested minimum 10000.
BYO whatever liquid refreshments you enjoy, we will take care of rest , we will have some non alchohol drinks and a few beers.
See you Monday.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:26 am

Rain on and off and a bit cooler today, but that doesn't stop things in the South, just off to get mariscos, they couldn't go out yesterday due to weather. We hoping to get it in the ground by about midday.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:44 pm

41southchile wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:26 am
Rain on and off and a bit cooler today, but that doesn't stop things in the South, just off to get mariscos, they couldn't go out yesterday due to weather. We hoping to get it in the ground by about midday.
Suerte with the weather but Monday is usually the day off day for the artesanal fishermen so I hope you find the mariscos. Saludos.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:57 pm

20191125_175509.jpg
zandra and I made it out to the party for a while. Really nice to meet so many forum members all in one place. unfortunately we had to cut out early because we had family in town and another assado to get too.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:00 pm

FYI, the traffic on the forum has suddenly crashed, and I don't expect it to recover until tomorrow sometime. The wine and beers were flowing freely. but at least I know why.

:lol: