State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
bow26

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by bow26 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:17 pm

I’m headed to SCL tomorrow on a standby flight and I just checked how many spaces there are on the plane to see how likely I am to travel or whether I will have to wait.. the Bogotá to Santiago leg has 70 cupos!! Usually there are just 2 or 3... so I will definitely get to travel but the question is do I want to...

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:27 pm

Still get ticked-off by the foreign press coverage.
This was on Reuters before they removed it. I added the comments.
piluchitas1.jpg
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:02 pm

I don't really understand why there have been so many eye injuries. Even if they were deliberately aiming for the eyes, it would be hard to get so many direct hits on the eye. But what is the other explanation?

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:06 pm

I'm worried by so many very anti police people hostile to all police (and military). It is very common it seems. I really hope these people are the noisy minority rather than representative of the majority. But it's hard to be sure.

I do think we need to see a few incidents of police getting fired and prosecuted, as well as incidents of police attacking and detaining other rogue police.

It's very hard to say how many of the police really are acting out of line, because the videos rarely give context. But it's clear there are a fair number.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:07 pm

And why no eye protection after all the eye injuries? Even halfway decent plastic shades have at least some shatterproof impact protection.

Just shows how invincible these youngsters feel in their actions.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Britkid wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:02 pm
I don't really understand why there have been so many eye injuries. Even if they were deliberately aiming for the eyes, it would be hard to get so many direct hits on the eye. But what is the other explanation?
I believe many are ricochets, didn't El Puelche say that you can't predict where rubber ammo will go after it hits a hard surface.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

mem

Post by mem » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:53 pm

I clearly see some plastic eye goggles a la ski goggles in that picture above with the short overweight women with slingshots and the ski/bandana masked

It makes sense that not everyone attacking law enforcement would connect the dots regarding eye protection when they don't connect the dots on everything else

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:06 pm

Very large gathering today at Plaza Itália, and they're actively resisting the police efforts to shoo them off. They usually are gone by sunset. Let's see how it turns up.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

Naolin

Post by Naolin » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:21 pm

Someone decided to make a dashboard type site to show a couple of the popular news live streams at the same time (one of them being the CIMA gallery webcam over Plaza Italia). I thought I'd leave the link for anyone that finds it useful.

https://alplox.github.io/tele/

(i think i have the limits necessary to post links, if not I apologize and feel free to delete my comment)

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:29 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:55 pm
So the clock is ticking, how many hours before the masses realize all this media attention of a new constitution doesn't address jack about any of their urgent specific concerns and demands?
Hahahaa , 24 or 48 hrs possibly. thought it was just me and my wife and the people I talked to today that thought that .
I guess "any port in a storm" is the mood today, this does not solve any of the urgent specific demands , those are all being worked on anyway and have been announced as this crisis has developed. I suppose the good thing is it might increase civic engagement, people night actually learn a bit about the current constitution and think about what they want in a new one ( well some will)
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:36 pm

tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:06 pm
Very large gathering today at Plaza Itália, and they're actively resisting the police efforts to shoo them off. They usually are gone by sunset. Let's see how it turns up.
Can you see the Plaza from your house? Did it look like a mostly peaceful gathering? Keep us updated. I don't see any news reports on it for now. Large means 10,000 or 100,000 - not sure what counts as a large protest these days.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:41 pm

Britkid wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:36 pm
tiagoabner wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:06 pm
Can you see the Plaza from your house? Did it look like a mostly peaceful gathering? Keep us updated. I don't see any news reports on it for now. Large means 10,000 or 100,000 - not sure what counts as a large protest these days.
I can see it from my place. The protestors are dispersing as we speak. I don't know the numbers, but it was larger than anything but the 1.2 million one. If I had to guess, I would say it was North of 300,000. It was the same as always, lots of peaceful protestors with arsonists among them.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.