State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
tiagoabner

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:44 am

41southchile wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:20 am
admin wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:01 am
cali_chile48 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:00 am
Question: Do the security forces (PDI) have the ability to read text messages, wassup, Facebook, etc?
yep
Isn't WhatsApp supposed to be encrypted or is that just bullshit? They still have to go through Facebook and get a warrant dont they? Wasn't there some controversy in Brazil not that long ago and Facebook wouldn't hand over the whatsapp records ? I dont imagine it would be a straight forward process unless, if it was say directly linked to a murder for example wouldbe more straightforward, general surveillance I doubt, knowing the big tech companies.
WhatsApp is encrypted. However, you don't need to break their encryption: you only need to get access to one of the devices involved in the chat. Encryption just makes it so that the messages can't be intercepted in transit, but the end points are still vulnerable.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:52 am

Yeah I guess I was being naive, everything digital is able to be monitored and can be accessed 🤔
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

Badbadbad

Post by Badbadbad » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:14 am

I mean if they can access FB and whatsapp and all that stuff why not suspend them in the first place? I mean they willing to go as far as putting Military on the street, Shutting down FB and Whatsapp and other social media is much easier to control the situation now as most of the call for gathering is done via whatsapp and other social medias.

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:15 am

Badbadbad wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:14 am
I mean if they can access FB and whatsapp and all that stuff why not suspend them in the first place? I mean they willing to go as far as putting Military on the street, Shutting down FB and Whatsapp and other social media is much easier to control the situation now as most of the call for gathering is done via whatsapp and other social medias.
They'll jump to the next messaging app right away. There are dozens of them. When WhatsApp was blocked in Brazil, most people started to use Telegram while it was down.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

mem

Post by mem » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:18 am

Signal is a better app to use if you want a message encrypted. Same app Snowden used

lost gringo

Post by lost gringo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:40 pm

mem wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:18 am
Signal is a better app to use if you want a message encrypted. Same app Snowden used
Yes, and as a bonus it's not owned by Zuckerberg
Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.
allegedly said by Mark Twain

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:49 pm

Blocking social media would affect both the peaceful and the violent protests and is thus not viable. Listen to anybody from government- they all emphasize the importance and legitimacy of the peaceful demonstrations. Of course they cannot block their means of communication

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:57 pm

Badbadbad wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:14 am
Because this would be the last thing this government does.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:58 pm

Shutting down whatsapp or facebook in their entirety (rather than specific groups) is an extremely bad idea. Some people perceive that TV is controlled by the establishment and facebook is the only truth. Shutting down FB would stoke that narrative and immediately incite a much higher level of protests and riots.

The teenager riots would go up a level.

It's also not ethical justifiable, and would impact many people, for example the people using facebook and whatsapp to organize with their neighbours to protect against thieves and other things.

Shutting it down would also be a big and negative story in the international media and damage Chile's reputation and economy as much as the riots.

Facebook is also a part of the Chilean economy as is whatsapp. Shutting it down would really f*** up a lot of small and mid size businesses that nearly all don't have their own website.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:05 pm

New poll results are out, they answer most questions about the public perception of the protests and the government between different age and income groups.

govt.png
manif.png
viol.png

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:19 pm

Britkid wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:58 pm
Some people perceive that TV is controlled by the establishment and facebook is the only truth.

And there in lies the problem for the whole world, that's why some people say it is now impossible to truly hold a free democratic election anymore. What Zuckerberg and Tim Apple 🤣 Mr Bezos and all the others are all out to free and enlighten society now and are not part of the establishment? 🤣🤣🤣🤣.
Remember back in the day when the sci fi futurist types said we will all have chips in our bodies in the future to control and track us? Well they didn't need to forecibly insert them did they? , we willingly carry them around with us and hand over all our information to these corporations, while rallying against the establishment and the machine. 🤣. Well played on their part I guess.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:21 pm

TV channels brought it on themselves by self-censorship, even publicly-financed TVN does it. Radio has much more trust according to various polls.