Foriegners, STAY AWAY FROM PROTESTS!!!! Obey the curfew

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Foriegners, STAY AWAY FROM PROTESTS!!!! Obey the curfew

Post by admin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:03 pm

Here is something I also should add.

PLEASE DO NOT CHALLENGE POLICE OR MILITARY ON THE STREET!!!

I am not aware of any legal system in the world that recognizes the human rights of a dead body. Someone might have had their human rights violated to the point they became dead; but, your human rights come to an abrupt end, about the same time you end.

I must especially single out Europeans for this one (sorry), as I have heard some of the most ridicules "but what about my human rights ...." out of the mouth of Europeans, over the most rediculas things (e.g. traffic tickets, being allowed in to Chile, etc, etc).

My father was a prosecutor, all through the social chaos of the 60's and 70's in the united states, and a criminal defense attorney through the 80's. He drilled in to all of the kids in the family two rules:

1) You will never win an argument on the streets with a cop.

2) If you run from the cops or otherwise resist, don't be suprised if they beat the shit out of you.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:08 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:03 pm

I must especially single out Europeans for this one (sorry), as I have heard some of the most ridicules "but what about my human rights ...." out of the mouth of Europeans, over the most rediculas things (e.g. traffic tickets, being allowed in to Chile, etc, etc).
They're just a certain section of liberal *beeps* who stop us from extraditing terrorists and murdurers. This is partly fueled by the EU human rights courts over-ruling top courts of member countries. EU will support Chile elites, it is a club of overpaid politicians who should be retired too, just in a disguise of bringing Europe together, under what France and Germany wants...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:38 am

My favorite story of a European trying to assert their "human rights" in a totally inappropriate situation, is from my years backpacking in mexico. Think this was back about 25 years ago, the 90's.

I use to go down to mexico on my own durring summers and breaks from the university, but never really was in to the whole spring break scene at the tourist resorts. I liked the "real" mexico. I had lived in mexico with my father when I was 12.

I was in a bar in Sonora mexico, that was pretty much owned, operated, and all the clientel were narco traffickers. not exactly a typical tourist destination.

yeah, I was young. seemed like a good idea at the time.

so I am with a crazy vietnam vet I had met along the way, and this french guy we had just met an hour before. we were probably the only foreigners around for miles. The french guy was like cartoon out of a 1950's disney short, striped shirt and all. but, he seemed harmless.

so, there is a band playing, everyone is being very tolerant and nice to us, and things are going good. generally killing a gringo is bad for buisness, so no one is bothering us. in fact, everyone seemed rather amused we had the balls to be there at all on a Friday night.

French guy, out of the blue, whips out a small tape recorder, and starts trying to record the live band. The vet and I look at each other with a , 'oh, shit'. we are like, "put the tape recorder away RIGHT NOW"!

French guy, completely oblivious to the rapidly closing circle of drunk drug traffickers all around us, is like, "It is my right as a human to record and enjoy this music" (you have to read that with broken english and a Paris accent for full effect).

There is one, particularly drunk guy, that makes it to the table first and starts leaning over me and the table to grab the french guy. french guy, has his back turned to all of us, watching the band. I got my head on a swivel, as I am watching all these guys approaching, trying to figure out what the hell is happening. I am not watching the vet.

BANG!!!

I look down, and the crazy vet has slammed a K-bar style hunting knife in to the center of the table. I, startled, jump up, and back, knock my chair over, and land on my feet about a foot or two behind the drunk. It was such a loud noise, that everyone else approaching the table jumped back too, and froze.

The drunk, I swear literaly pissed his pants. He is now frozen in position, looking directly in to the eyes of the vet, like 1 foot between them, that still has one hand on the k-bar, and has whipped out another folding buck knife with the other. I am now behind the drunk, and he can not see what I am doing. That was not some tactical brilliance on my part, I was just trying to put as much distance between me and the guy with knife; putting the drunk between me and the knife seemed like it might help.

The whole time, the French guy, never even turns around. Not even aware of what is going on.

We paid the bill and made a strategic retreat, dragging an annoyed frenchman out with us, that is still insisting it was his right to record the live music.

kicker to that story was, the next morning, me and the vet, both really hungover, wonder back in to that same bar. no one in there but an old man behind the bar.

A couple fishermen wonder in to the bar, selling buckets of oysters. we buy two buckets, my friend pulls out his knife and we start to try to open the oysters. the bartender stops the fishermen, as they are leaving and says, "if my good customers cut themselves, I will cut you".

Turns out, that was the local narco boss. word had gotten around about our "tourist activity" in his bar the night before, and he was impressed. Especially we came back the next day. by that point he probably figured we had to be DEA or something. No one else would be that stupid.

Guess the moral of that story is, careful who you make friends with. nice to get to know knew people, but best done under more controlled circumstances; and, careful of Europeans asserting their "human rights", at the wrong moment.

I get it. My minor was in history and focused on human rights, dictatorships (including chile's), and especially holocaust history. It is a sensitive subject in Europe. Sometimes so sensitive, it is applied inappropriately or over applied, in a 'better safe than sorry sort' of way.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:04 am

admin wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:38 am
My favorite story of a European trying to assert their "human rights" in a totally inappropriate situation, is from my years backpacking in mexico. Think this was back about 25 years ago, the 90's.

I use to go down to mexico on my own durring summers and breaks from the university, but never really was in to the whole spring break scene at the tourist resorts. I liked the "real" mexico. I had lived in mexico with my father when I was 12.

I was in a bar in Sonora mexico, that was pretty much owned, operated, and all the clientel were narco traffickers. not exactly a typical tourist destination.

yeah, I was young. seemed like a good idea at the time.

so I am with a crazy vietnam vet I had met along the way, and this french guy we had just met an hour before. we were probably the only foreigners around for miles. The french guy was like cartoon out of a 1950's disney short, striped shirt and all. but, he seemed harmless.

so, there is a band playing, everyone is being very tolerant and nice to us, and things are going good. generally killing a gringo is bad for buisness, so no one is bothering us. in fact, everyone seemed rather amused we had the balls to be there at all on a Friday night.

French guy, out of the blue, whips out a small tape recorder, and starts trying to record the live band. The vet and I look at each other with a , 'oh, shit'. we are like, "put the tape recorder away RIGHT NOW"!

French guy, completely oblivious to the rapidly closing circle of drunk drug traffickers all around us, is like, "It is my right as a human to record and enjoy this music" (you have to read that with broken english and a Paris accent for full effect).

There is one, particularly drunk guy, that makes it to the table first and starts leaning over me and the table to grab the french guy. french guy, has his back turned to all of us, watching the band. I got my head on a swivel, as I am watching all these guys approaching, trying to figure out what the hell is happening. I am not watching the vet.

BANG!!!

I look down, and the crazy vet has slammed a K-bar style hunting knife in to the center of the table. I, startled, jump up, and back, knock my chair over, and land on my feet about a foot or two behind the drunk. It was such a loud noise, that everyone else approaching the table jumped back too, and froze.

The drunk, I swear literaly pissed his pants. He is now frozen in position, looking directly in to the eyes of the vet, like 1 foot between them, that still has one hand on the k-bar, and has whipped out another folding buck knife with the other. I am now behind the drunk, and he can not see what I am doing. That was not some tactical brilliance on my part, I was just trying to put as much distance between me and the guy with knife; putting the drunk between me and the knife seemed like it might help.

The whole time, the French guy, never even turns around. Not even aware of what is going on.

We paid the bill and made a strategic retreat, dragging an annoyed frenchman out with us, that is still insisting it was his right to record the live music.

kicker to that story was, the next morning, me and the vet, both really hungover, wonder back in to that same bar. no one in there but an old man behind the bar.

A couple fishermen wonder in to the bar, selling buckets of oysters. we buy two buckets, my friend pulls out his knife and we start to try to open the oysters. the bartender stops the fishermen, as they are leaving and says, "if my good customers cut themselves, I will cut you".

Turns out, that was the local narco boss. word had gotten around about our "tourist activity" in his bar the night before, and he was impressed. Especially we came back the next day. by that point he probably figured we had to be DEA or something. No one else would be that stupid.

Guess the moral of that story is, careful who you make friends with. nice to get to know knew people, but best done under more controlled circumstances; and, careful of Europeans asserting their "human rights", at the wrong moment.

I get it. My minor was in history and focused on human rights, dictatorships (including chile's), and especially holocaust history. It is a sensitive subject in Europe. Sometimes so sensitive, it is applied inappropriately or over applied, in a 'better safe than sorry sort' of way.
Lol, great story, I can just picture that in some dusty Mexican bar. Yup sums up the human rights mentality of a lot of Europeans I've met too. My human right is to not stick out in sticky situations, its served me well so far.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:20 am

Yeah but what if the other patrons and staff started turning into vampires? :alien:
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:33 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:20 am
Yeah but what if the other patrons and staff started turning into vampires? :alien:
No, that actually happened to me the next day, in the same town. sort of. :lol: :shock:

One block over, there was a bar run by all transvestites. The only real girls in the bar, where a bunch of underage hookers; and the transvestites were their pimps. I was there with the vet again hanging out listening to the band.

A full on bar room brawl broke out. must have been 30 or 40 guys going at it. breaking chairs, etc. we were sort of sitting at our table, just watching the fights and listening to the band. it pretty much looked like that fight seen in from dusk to dawn, just big transvestites in dresses replacing vampires.

after a while, the federalies show up. the bar is so dangerous and chaotic at this point, they would form a circle outside of like ten cops, with their automatic weapons pointing outward, rush in to the bar, and grab one or two of the guys fighting, then retreat. after they locked them in to the van, they would form up again. they repeated that maneuver about half a dozen times.

finally, one of the federalies noticed me sitting there, his eyes got big, and in near perfect English said, "get the f*ck out of here". He did not want a dead gringo in the nieghborhood anymore than the narcos. too much paperwork I guess.

I didn't argue with him, and the transvestites never tried to eat me. :lol:

After all that, the most dangerous mistake i have ever made in latin America, happened later that night.

I ate a fish taco off a street cart at 3 A.M. in the morning. spent the next three weeks near death in Mexico with food poisoning. Sometimes it is the little things that get you.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:41 pm

A very timely reminder to stay away from protests. Unfortunately, some FB pages which cater mainly to foreigners have foreigners calling others to join in the protests today. A link to this thread was removed as "off-topic" as were others telling people to stay away unless they want a free flight home. Many who do attend are going to experience a peaceful protest but South American style.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:45 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:41 pm
A very timely reminder to stay away from protests. Unfortunately, some FB pages which cater mainly to foreigners have foreigners calling others to join in the protests today. A link to this thread was removed as "off-topic" as were others telling people to stay away unless they want a free flight home. Many who do attend are going to experience a peaceful protest but South American style.
I posted the law. copy and past it in to the facebook pages.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:53 pm

Like I said Charles, you will getting a call in the early morning hours from the hapless young foreigner or their parents.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:54 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:41 pm
and if they still insist on ignoring it, well we tried. The law does not protect the stupid.

Our attorneys are standing by to charge them an incredible large amount of money, to get them out of jail.

Which will probably be next week sometime before they get a detention hearing.

They should dress warm. I hear those cells are cold at night. :lol:

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:18 pm

If the law does not convince a foriegner to stay away from the protests, perhaps this will.

This is the sorts of calculations I have to do to even start to estimate a price for this sort of thing.

If a foriegner is arrested in or around one of these protests, they have exactly one legal move to even have a chance of staying in the country, let alone out of jail.

The case needs to be killed at the time of detention, before formal report hits the system. typically means before the shift of the arresting officer is over, because after that it hits the system, and things start getting way more expensive and the consequences much more uncertain.

so say you get arrested at 11 p.m. on a friday night. your family or friends calls us, at 12. p.m., we are working after curfew, in the middle of a national emergency, with a very insecure and uncertain environment.

That means, I need to wak-up one of our english speaking attorneys in Santiago, that has advanced criminal experience, and convince them it is worth risking their life, their car, etc to venture out in to all that to some police station in hopes of finding someone that is sympathetic to the situation; or, worse, we have to start waking higher ranking government officials, and burn valuable political capital with our friends to intervene.

I will let your imagination fill in the blank as to how large that number is.

Now triple that.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:44 pm

you know the amazing thing about pricing in those "emergency" or "crisis" situations we have dealt with over the years?

I have never had anyone try to negotiate the price down when I tell them how much it is going to cost, or say they can not afford it.

100% of the time, the next words out of their mouth is something like, "where do I send the money" or "how do I get the money to you".

Our fees are the least of their concerns, and they know it.