State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

National Crisis, Emergencies, and Natural Disasters in Chile; including the experiences of Chile Forum Members have shared in current and in past crisis, as they have assisted each other and Chile. Things will always go wrong. It is how you deal with it that counts, and that starts with information. When things go wrong, this is the place to come to exchange information about what is going on in Chile.
Forum rules
Moderation of this forum will be very strict compared to other sections of the Chile Forum. “Spamming”, “Trolling”, promotion of “fake news”, “conspiracy theories” or otherwise interfering with the dissemination of accurate information in this dedicated “Crisis Forum” will result in deletion of posts, and repeat offenders will have their accounts banned.
admin
Site Admin

Re: State of emergency and curfews, October 2019

Post by admin » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:27 pm

well, then completely the other end of the spectrum, you have these wankers coordinating looting. a carabinero and genderme had their phone tapped for a previous drug investigation, and were caught coordinating the looting of a store.

https://amp.24horas.cl/regiones/biobio/ ... el-3681066
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:38 pm

The replacement for Francisco de Aguirre's statue, helpfully titled "Milanka Diaguita Woman". The torso, apparently fabricated from a cardboard box, is perhaps unskillfully rendered but as an authentic symbol of feminist indigenous liberation, and as a fair example of the level of artistic ability encountered locally, it succeeds. As can be seen by the satisfied expressions of the onlookers.
Milanka2.jpg
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

mem

Post by mem » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:25 pm
Dosedmonkey wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:03 pm
You have just made the same mistake as a large amount of the Chilean population though. Blaming everything on Pinera when all the issues being protested go back well before him and involve all political parties. It's the system and elitism of it. So all this reneuncia Pinera talk is helping the other politicians escape host Pinera and continue as normal, meanwhile Pinera is in a position where he can actually reduce wages of politicians and not have the entire political system turn on him. No way could he have done that before! A less he did a coup like the Peruvian president has to end corruption in congress. So why blame him?
Wait, I do not blame Piñera for the country's systemic problems. But the actions and attitudes during the crisis and the ministers who he put in charge (psychopath pinochetista Chadwick? seriously??) show that the Chilean right wing can't change even 30 years later. Evópoli just abstained or voted against the 40hr week, so no evolution there either.

What I wanted: some decent technocracy, optimizing the country's productivity via modernization of the laws, stimulating businesses to move beyond extracting and rent-seeking.

What I got: more corruption and plutocracy, not understanding the country's needs whatsoever, and dictatorship shadows.
Protesters that want to bang pans and carry banners. No issue with that or them. More power to them.

But that is not what this is about. Really...the peaceful pan banging and banner carrying went on before "this" and it has only continued to carryon after "this" albeit with more energy as most people are just conflating the criminal activity with the peaceful demonstrators and that is the tragedy

What "this" is about are the millennial criminal riffraff THAT STARTED burning stuff and stealing stuff. That is what started all of what this has grown into. The reason this is international news is because of the criminal acts and the snowball effect

Those chileans that are committing the criminal acts don't deserve Chile and now these malcontent ingrates are dragging the good name of Chile through the mud.

I don't blame Pinera...of couse hindsight is 20/20...but I also know that very few of us every would have though we would be seeing this 4 weeks ago...we would have thought you were nuts. So we can nitpick what Pinera should or shouldnt have done, but the truth is basically everyone from us to the government were blindsided by the brazen criminal acts parading around under the facade of "protest"

eeuunikkeiexpat

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:08 pm

Well on the other side, after all this shit that went down and the destruction of my city and the almost destruction of the commercial center of my barrio prevented by the military and carabineros and the fact that they have protected the hyper-Lider of this province and then watching the left's irrational pronouncements that there should be no emergency declaration in the first place, FUCK them forever.

And FWIW, I vote...
Que será, será.

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:34 am

Bet JA Kast is keeping well out of the way. Otherwise the Commies would try to do a Jaime Guzmán on him. But I think that sadly no individual can save the situation...its gone too far.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:58 am

no, Kast is keeping his head low; and, his name is being whispered more and more in circles toward the political center. People are not talking about him in "polite" company, but this is all suddendly making him less, and less a right wing nut job with no chance.

I think he would blow the whole country up, but this has given him real traction.

The politicians, that keep their name out of the eye of this storm, will be still standing when all the other trees have been blown down by the hurricane, both left and right.

It is like frigen political highlander: there can only be one.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:39 am

7 days in and these are the takeaways of talking to average Chileans :
-Life will do what it wants with you, i.e god has a plan.
-This has bought out the worst in the Chilean race, with the looting and mindless destruction, not only by criminals.
-This has brought out the best of people, banding together.
-The political differences have gone to the extreme, there is no room for middle ground politically after this. Kast vs Sanchez??? (Or another left wing messiah?)
-Support for military presence is high from many I talked to , even from very traditional leftie friends, I and they never thought they would say that, but "crush the pungas and vandals" seems to be the attitude, (do what must be done or they will destroy our city) mostly when they have a family they support soldiers in the street.
-school aged kids are very idealistic(I'm sure we all were at that age) and very ignorant and blind to many issues also, but mostly they mean well in a simplistic way, ( condescending? Sure, but I would have said the same to my 16 year old self if I could go back in time)
-many people have reflected on their own behavior and what their role is in society, how they act with one another.
-Everyone realises the need for changes, but how they get there is debatable and varies
-Chileans, like so many in the world today, are quick to jump on bandwagons , memes, fake news, without analyzing and questioning things first.

Few random thoughts from conversations this week, hope all well with AllChileans stay safe wherever you are, have a feeling shit could get crazy again this weekend in urban areas, if you need supplies, stock up this morning and hunker down.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:21 am

anyone else got anything to add to the Christmas wishlist?

taxi and truckers are going to protest 'no mas TAG' in Santiago.

https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... ital.shtml

Dear Santa Pinera,

I have been a really good boy this year. I never through rocks at you (although I am thinking about it).

I would like a leer jet on the weekends, have my taxes cut zero, and I need an airforce helicopter to take me to work every morning (please don't try to fly it yourself, you suck as a pilot).

:lol:

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:25 am

41southchile wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:39 am
Few random thoughts from conversations this week, hope all well with AllChileans stay safe wherever you are, have a feeling shit could get crazy again this weekend in urban areas, if you need supplies, stock up this morning and hunker down.
This is an excellent point. Do refill your supplies today, and do it early. Chileans like to do their marches on weekends (starting on Friday night), and you don't want to be caught of guard if things get too crazy.
I'm NOT your lawyer, accountant or financial planner. All information at this post should be considered for your entertainment only. Consult a professional before making a decision regarding whatever topic was mentioned in this post.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:47 am

interesting interview with some Venezuelans living in chile. the reactions under it, are probably more interesting.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... iones.html

mem

Post by mem » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:11 am

admin wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:47 am
interesting interview with some Venezuelans living in chile. the reactions under it, are probably more interesting.

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/ ... iones.html
Read the comments...some are pretty vile. Surprised by how many are trying to blame the Venezuelan immigrants. "This never happened before the Venezuelans came!" And "I saw Venezuelans doing criminal activity"
I dont buy it. I think it is pretty clear that immigrant involvement in the criminal activity is a minority exception. So many many comments are blatantly ignorant at best and prejudiced at worst.

In the article Venezuelan sentiment seems pretty accurate as they made a clear distinction between the criminal scrum and the peaceful protesters.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:40 am

puente alto, has the watts riots syndrome:

destroy your own nieghborhood, to get even with the group that is percieved to be oppressing you and actuelly lives somewhere else.

https://www.latercera.com/nacional/noti ... na/876974/

The mobilization the other day of the military in los condes, in reaction to the protesters that tried to take the fight to the rich neighborhoods, sent a clear message it was not going to happen there. los condes also has private security companies patrolling the streets, and the condominiums all have their own security.

so keep burning and looting your own nieghborhood. That will fix things.