Where Should I Start?

Introduce yourself, discover who else is here, and get news and information about the forum. Most of all, tell us what Chile means for you.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

Sr. El Puelche

Re: Where Should I Start?

Post by Sr. El Puelche » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 pm

I remember in La Serena a Valpo professional basketball team came to visit during semana santa------with more than a few African American players in their group------it caused total chaos downtown with Carabineros having to stop and re-route traffic around them as they walked the city-----Chileans had never seen anything like it----

###

Sr. El Puelche

Post by Sr. El Puelche » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:07 pm

Sent from a friend in Argentina------- a new book:

https://elpais.com/internacional/2019/0 ... JjZcvK_rXE

###

Julito

Post by Julito » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:36 am

Thank you! That sounds a lot more like the Chile that I know of :) Now, where would I go to meet a stranger who'd give me one of those trademark long Chiean stares that you mentioned? Are they an extinct breed? :)
Its not a part of the culture anymore I don't think------everyone in Chile did this back in the day-----definitely takes some getting used to but it was fun to stare back and just an interesting quirk you don't see most places.

I find it´s still very much part of the culture depending on where you live. I often catch people staring at me, especially when out on foot alone. Because I´m out and about every day the locals are used to seeing me so I think the starers are probably off campos or from little outlying towns where the sight of a gringo is still a novelty.
But if I´m accompanied by a gringo guest or two, even the locals will still give them a good stare.

Sr. El Puelche

Post by Sr. El Puelche » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:41 pm

Now after the Giratorio bombing——a definite violation of the informal summer cease fire——Pinochet pushed out to find the communists. In that summer, January, February and March it was on. Understand that communists in Chile did not work and so they robbed banks to fund their life and their cause. And they robbed all over that summer. Every government has their secrets and their secret police———The KGB for Russia, the C** for the US and the N** as well as the STASi for East Germany, SAVAK in Iran, SSI in Argentina, Bolivia the CPN, Peru has the PNP a regular police but the secret police have no name———Chile had the DINA from the coup up to the late 70’s and then it became the CNI after that——sinister abbreviations all and somehow mean something to anyone hearing it——In during that summer the CNI went to work and gloves off for sure. This was a battle to last for the next four years with neither side going in.

Raids began across Santiago immediately and into regiones. Walking in the city it was a regular day to hear gunfire all over. Pinochet and his army along with Carabineros rooted out their foe. The Communists responded with car bombings and assassinations—a favorite at the time——a simple clothes iron——a magnetized base with explosives inside——a motorcycle team of two would approach target car in traffic—placing the device just behind the rear passenger roof panel and detonate. I clear punch into the vehicle would kill anyone inside—at least it was a quick death.

My nurse friend related to me———other bomb methods were not as clean——A critical issue of bomb making is the the casing around the explosive itself——military grade explosives have it in their design but homemade bombs not so much——so when a bomb goes off there is an initial concussion wave that sends anything in place flying——its a moment where this initial explosive opens up the body to cuts——in the rolling blast small debris is set free and is airborne——as she explained it to me ——in that instant, wounds are open and the skin around that wound are lifted from the skin where that airbourne debris enters beneath those wounds and sits back well beyond the original would opening. Most patients die from the infection of that debris and not the mostly minor original injury. The infection is so invasive it can’t be treated. She told me of patients with debris beneath their skin you could feel like salt beneath their skin and nothing to do but to watch them die.

As much as authorities in that summer clamped down, subversives came back with everything they had. Sitting in a cafe or restaurant you sat in the back with view to the front door as a rule——and you checked for a back door. In this time I went to a vegan place——on the second floor and to the one side of an interior patio open to the street. It was an old stone building in Providencia and tall a tall ceiling. Sitting down with high large windows looking over the patio, It occurred to me I knew this place. We ordered and sat with our drinks. Looking up to the ceiling I knew how I was familiar with this place in the news. There had been a bombing in the patio just two weeks before. The blast pattern of broken glass pitched out at each window in a triangle with broken plaster hanging down in small pieces just barely holding on. I knew it would only be a matter of time for me to come across some kind of bombing violence------its just going to come so protect yourself and be aware -----I was right and i got it-----but other things were to come, all in time as it happened.

Lukas, a cartoonist at the time, had a daily spot in El Mercurio on the second page——An Italian immigrant from just after the war, he had the perfect Chilean situation with every cartoon——i remember a cartoon of his at the time reflecting on the the news of the time——that week a bomb had gone off prematurely in an apartment———(more on that later as the true communist used young, mostly female students, to do their dirty work) so this bomb goes off killing two co-eds in a n apartment along Grecia and Ramon Cruz———Boom, they crossed some wires and it was over———Lukas had a cartoon with a witness explaining what happened with two carabineros what had happened——the smoldering remains in the background———“One went that way and the other went that way.”———certainly a harsh expression of what had taken place but Chilean were inured to the fact of what was taking place. The point is that it was so common you could read it in cartoons.

If it was not hard enough——that summer authorities found a clandestine museo if you can call it that. Communists had taken in early 1984 to shooting any uniformed official they could——on the street but usually in uniform on buses——the only thing beyond the actual assassination was the missing service cap of the murdered. The government response was that anyone in uniform had to travel by twos. So back to the clandestine find=====they found 850 caps of the assassinated——now everyone knew the count of those fallen but their actual caps pulled, one by one, from this communist museo——it was too much and it was personal now——gloves off? No it was more than that now.

####

Sr. El Puelche

Post by Sr. El Puelche » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:51 pm

Mr. ScL,

What is your proof against what i say?

###

Sr. El Puelche

Post by Sr. El Puelche » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:05 pm

Bring it SCL, Do you have you an argument.? Not the first time someone has pulled a knife on me------Yeah so state your case if you can and lets hear it?

Sr. El Puelche

Post by Sr. El Puelche » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:13 pm

Yeah come on waiting.

###

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:13 am

I agree, the further narration took an extremely right-wing turn.

If there was anything like over 800 dead from the junta's side, modern right-wingers would be using this fact against the left for the last 29 years. Historically, Chilean leftist paramilitaries were inefficient and disorganized, even the MIR's threat is waaaay overblown by the dictatorship's propaganda.

El Mercurio is infamous for speaking about a military involvement since the very beginning of Allende's presidency. Of course they would be scaremongering as much as possible to justify the junta's rule.

Julito

Post by Julito » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:07 am

In one of the histories I read on the era it stated that El Mercurio was almost broke due to mis-management by the family which owned it, was rescued by the CIA and under its patronage, "guideance" and financial support got back on to its feet.

at46

Post by at46 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:01 am

Space Cat wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:13 am
I agree, the further narration took an extremely right-wing turn.
Did you just call him a right-wing extremist? :) You can't expect everyone to cater to your left-wing stance. Don't like it? Don't read it :)

Putenio

Post by Putenio » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:59 am

He should tell it from his point of view and recollection. He's invited us to add to the conversation. If we have an alternative view, source, or information to offer, why not simply post it? If personal challenges and ad hominem attacks were set aside, this could be an interesting "timeline" of perspectives.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:17 pm

at46 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:01 am
Did you just call him a right-wing extremist? :) You can't expect everyone to cater to your left-wing stance. Don't like it? Don't read it :)
Obviously no. Yes, I'd skip the parts with retelling of political events because they seem biased (understandable, his family suffered) and not factual enough (unless you believe that all history books are leftist). I'm still interested in learning about the author's personal experiences.