General topics related to Living in Chile
fraggle092

Re: Climate changing in Chile

Post by fraggle092 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:11 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:21 am
here an article on this very subject:
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-08- ... ore-demand

I find the charts they use annoyingly over loaded with info, but interesting.
One comment made right at the end of that complicated article gives an idea how interrelated the whole issue of growth is:
...the poorer nations [are] reliant on growth among wealthier nations for their own growth...
That can even be seen here. Although the native population hasn't grown much since the turn of the millennium, all Chilean towns have become clogged with (ever-larger) vehicles since then, thanks to the trickledown effects of a raw materials export boom that increased individual prosperity.

Cómprate un auto, Perico
Miles de pericos se compraron auto y ahora tienen la cagada con los tacos.
:)
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:17 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:11 pm
admin wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:21 am
here an article on this very subject:
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-08- ... ore-demand

I find the charts they use annoyingly over loaded with info, but interesting.
One comment made right at the end of that complicated article gives an idea how interrelated the whole issue of growth is:
...the poorer nations [are] reliant on growth among wealthier nations for their own growth...
That can even be seen here. Although the native population hasn't grown much since the turn of the millennium, all Chilean towns have become clogged with (ever-larger) vehicles since then, thanks to the trickledown effects of a raw materials export boom that increased individual prosperity.

Cómprate un auto, Perico
Miles de pericos se compraron auto y ahora tienen la cagada con los tacos.
:)
Chilean towns have become more and more clogged due to the rural urban drift , not sure of exact percentages , so I won't make them up, but the ratio from the 70s to now in terms of rural dwellers vs urban dwellers has completely changed. The access to cheap and easy credit which didn't exist 15 years ago means cars and pick ups are much more accessible to every Jose and Maria. Combine that with underqualified local politicians and burrocrassy and a complete inability to plan and a Santiago centric govt its no surprise many regional towns and cities around Chile are clogged and under pressure with all their infrastructure. Plus some trickle down too.
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.”

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:02 pm

here is some smoke for thought:
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news ... -for-lungs

living in an urban area is as damaging as a 29 year, one pack a day smoking habit.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:17 pm

admin wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:02 pm

living in an urban area is as damaging as a 29 year, one pack a day smoking habit.
Exactly why I moved to the San Antonio area and its majority of the time onshore breeze after developing bronchitis in Santiasco back in 2006 not to mention a daily view of the coast is good for the mind and soul.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:10 am

Britkid wrote:
Do you understand the concept that the world's population, currently below 8 billion, will inevitably increase to 10 billion or 11 billion even if everyone has only an average of 2 children because the world currently has more younger than older people in it? This video explains it very clearly: https://youtu.be/2LyzBoHo5EI

Fact One: There could be far more than 11 billion people in 2100

The UN’s 95% certainty range for 2100 shows a maximum of nearly 13 billion and a minimum of under 10 billion

https://populationmatters.org/news/2018 ... goes-wrong

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:06 am

41southchile wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:17 pm
Chilean towns have become more and more clogged due to the rural urban drift , not sure of exact percentages , so I won't make them up, but the ratio from the 70s to now in terms of rural dwellers vs urban dwellers has completely changed. The access to cheap and easy credit which didn't exist 15 years ago means cars and pick ups are much more accessible to every Jose and Maria.
So it wasn't a strong Peso and an export boom that suddenly made cars affordable, you put the vehicular explosion down to Campesinos abandoning the...Campo ?
Urban drift did probably have some effect, but economic refugees aren't big car buyers.
I do agree that that Chilean urban planners are pretty hopeless.
Screenshot-2019-8-20 Parque automotor se septuplica en 15 años llega hasta los 7,3 millones de vehículos Emol com.jpg
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:58 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:06 am
41southchile wrote:
Chilean towns have become more and more clogged due to the rural urban drift , not sure of exact percentages , so I won't make them up, but the ratio from the 70s to now in terms of rural dwellers vs urban dwellers has completely changed. The access to cheap and easy credit which didn't exist 15 years ago means cars and pick ups are much more accessible to every Jose and Maria.
So it wasn't a strong Peso and an export boom that suddenly made cars affordable, you put the vehicular explosion down to Campesinos abandoning the...Campo ?
Urban drift did probably have some effect, but economic refugees aren't big car buyers.
I do agree that that Chilean urban planners are pretty hopeless.
Screenshot-2019-8-20 Parque automotor se septuplica en 15 años llega hasta los 7,3 millones de vehículos Emol com.jpg
Urban drift and easy credit are part of a strong peso and export boom so I guess it's all tied in, and it comes back to that, as well as land redistribution in the 50s and 60s, which did actually create a lot of wealth too. People are not throwing down 30 or 40 million in cash for a new vehicle,
because they had a good year exporting last year it's easy credit. Even the "economic refugees " as you call them are all buying tin can chino cars for 4 or 5 million on credit, or they buying another colectivo in an urban area after they sold their rural plot of a couple of hectares so the neighbor can expand it's all contributing to urban growth pains

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:02 pm

bert.douglas wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:11 am
41southchile wrote:
...Combine that with underqualified local politicians and burrocrassy and a complete inability to plan and a Santiago centric govt its no surprise many regional towns and cities around Chile are clogged and under pressure with all their infrastructure. Plus some trickle down too.
Here is a crass burro.

crass burro.jpeg
:lol: I deliberately tried to spell it with burro, but then the spell checker threw up crassy on the end of it and the word worked even better

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:55 pm

That is a crass burro.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:29 am

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:17 pm
admin wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:02 pm

Exactly why I moved to the San Antonio area and its majority of the time onshore breeze after developing bronchitis in Santiasco back in 2006 not to mention a daily view of the coast is good for the mind and soul.
I don't think people were designed to live in cities; but, I sure hope most of them stay there.
20190822_100610.jpg

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:41 am

Took that this morning with my coffee. I woke up at dawn, my mind already going a million miles an hour with the days problems. I turn the corner and just go 'woooooo' at the site of the sun rise. Totally forgot what it was I was thinking about. What ever it was, the campo made me stop and just apreciate where I live for a few mins. my new problem became getting my coffee and getting outside to take a photo before the sun came up too much.

the one that I have trouble with now is sleeping in an urban environment. Until you live where you can hear a pin drop a kilometer away, you don't realize just how much noise pollution there is in cities.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:17 pm

Yeah that is a good photo.