Building plans/ regulations in Los Lagos area.

Buying, Selling, Building, Tax issues, anything regarding real estate or properties in Chile.
Forum rules
NO DISCUSSION OF SPECIFIC REAL ESTATE AGENTS BY NAME, LINK, OR RECOMMENDATION ANYWHERE ON THE CHILE FORUM.
nosaj

Building plans/ regulations in Los Lagos area.

Post by nosaj » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:31 am

Hey everyone,
This is my first post on this forum so a little about me..
I'm a South African who is in the process of immigrating to Chile. My wife has already moved as she has a permanent position at a good company.
We are looking at buying a piece of farm land with a house on it but would like to build another, more modern house on the land.
My question is what plans need to be done before building and generally how long does it take to get plans approved before we can start building?
Thanks
Jason

Putenio

Re: Building plans/ regulations in Los Lagos area.

Post by Putenio » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:40 am

I can't speak to building around Puerto Varas, but I can talk about building near Puerto Montt, and at the very limits of Puerto Montt, just over the line so it corresponds to Calbuco.

In both cases, Pto. Montt and Calbuco, we hired architects (small initial payment, larger pymts as project progressed), and both projects were on time with no major issues - other than the contractors wanted more money, somebody's nephew's aunt's sister's niece was hospitalized and they needed money, the forgot they needed X to be able to complete a job (so trip to town to get X) - so the problem was the contractor and builder following plans on time on schedule, not the architect. Constant supervision, level in hand.

We've worked with two architects.

One did the plans, got the engineering, etc. paperwork done after the fact on a 40m x 25m building on rural farm land - so it's registered, legal, etc.

Another was able to get additions to an existing town property through the formal approval process via the "Ley de Mono," which is apparently a legal effort and protocol to bring irregular buildings or additions without permits up to code + get them registered so they pay taxes into the Muni de Puerto Montt.

In our case the house behind us was a rental, the person who received the rent was no longer married to the owner, who would not speak to him or us - or sign off on the quincho, bbq house addition. Without signatures from neighbors we couldn't proceed per the normal "normalization" process, but our architect found the workaround.

The themes are architects who know the drill and options are important, workarounds are possible, close supervision is required, and persistence is key.

I'm sure other expats in the area can suggest architects who know the system, electricians who do quality work, and contractors with some degree of confidence. I can too, but would encourage physical presence and constant supervision.

There are a few South Africans here in the Pto Montt area.

Hope this helps
Enjoying the beautiful southern peninsula of Puerto Montt in the heart of it all.
Tenio Natural Reserve: http://www.visitsouthernchile.blogspot.com

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:43 pm

It all depends on the local building department of the municipality you are in. Some will be very strict, others will not even bother if you beg them to issue a building permit.

PV right now has a bit of scandal going on over failure to properly regulate building. So, expect more than a bit of bureaucratic variation, depending on when, what you build, and who is in the office.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nosaj

Post by nosaj » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:02 pm

Putenio wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:40 am
I can't speak to building around Puerto Varas, but I can talk about building near Puerto Montt, and at the very limits of Puerto Montt, just over the line so it corresponds to Calbuco.

In both cases, Pto. Montt and Calbuco, we hired architects (small initial payment, larger pymts as project progressed), and both projects were on time with no major issues - other than the contractors wanted more money, somebody's nephew's aunt's sister's niece was hospitalized and they needed money, the forgot they needed X to be able to complete a job (so trip to town to get X) - so the problem was the contractor and builder following plans on time on schedule, not the architect. Constant supervision, level in hand.

We've worked with two architects.

One did the plans, got the engineering, etc. paperwork done after the fact on a 40m x 25m building on rural farm land - so it's registered, legal, etc.

Another was able to get additions to an existing town property through the formal approval process via the "Ley de Mono," which is apparently a legal effort and protocol to bring irregular buildings or additions without permits up to code + get them registered so they pay taxes into the Muni de Puerto Montt.

In our case the house behind us was a rental, the person who received the rent was no longer married to the owner, who would not speak to him or us - or sign off on the quincho, bbq house addition. Without signatures from neighbors we couldn't proceed per the normal "normalization" process, but our architect found the workaround.

The themes are architects who know the drill and options are important, workarounds are possible, close supervision is required, and persistence is key.

I'm sure other expats in the area can suggest architects who know the system, electricians who do quality work, and contractors with some degree of confidence. I can too, but would encourage physical presence and constant supervision.

There are a few South Africans here in the Pto Montt area.

Hope this helps
Wow! This is exactly what I was looking for.. Thank you so much for the advice! I am an Oceanographic Engineer by trade but I have built a few homes before so will be looking at doing most of the work myself,so supervision will be 100%!
The bottom line from as far as I can tell is that I can build 1st and get it registered afterwards? Or did I miss understand?

Great news that there are other South Africans around! Though they might not want to hang out because I'm from the "rough" neck of the woods 😂😂

Once again.. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions 🙏

nosaj

Post by nosaj » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:05 pm

admin wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:43 pm
It all depends on the local building department of the municipality you are in. Some will be very strict, others will not even bother if you beg them to issue a building permit.

PV right now has a bit of scandal going on over failure to properly regulate building. So, expect more than a bit of bureaucratic variation, depending on when, what you build, and who is in the office.
Seems to be a bit of a trend.. Bureaucracy to the N'th degree 😮

Putenio

Post by Putenio » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:50 am

It is best to do it right from the start, get an architect on board as they, like a lawyer, know how to get things done - they know people, they know the system.

It may be the case that once the architect is in place it could move quickly - building while you do some of the paperwork. We do our construction from around November to March in Puerto Montt to take advantage of the sunny weather, so if you did the prep work, designs, and paperwork before that, it might make it more organized.

Each municipality is different. I'd say if anything, I demonstrated there is a wide degree of variation in the system. A good architect is a valuable ally. Patience and persistence.

I'm an author by trade, but handy with a level and hammer, and have a brother who is an AIA architect. It's been fun being creative with plans and projects.
Enjoying the beautiful southern peninsula of Puerto Montt in the heart of it all.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:33 pm

yea, just don't let a chilean architect actuelly design your house. I don't believe most of them live in houses, otherwise they would not do strange things like design in doors and windows with triangles ( fine if you need a doors for a two headed alien); never mind actuelly getting structure with supports under them to hold up the weight above them. they seems to not understand how gravity works also.

the architects are for doing beucratic paperwork shuffle.

there are plenty of good plans online, and much cheaper to build as they follow international standards (e.g. they come with standard detail sheets, using standard material dimensions). buy a set you like. modify as needed to get them past the local building department (make sure you get an autocad version that can be modified) by a local architect.

the architect here are often little more than kids with crayons, that know little to nothing about how building should be built. they can draw a pretty picture, but that is where their techinical knowledge normally stops.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Putenio

Post by Putenio » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:54 pm

I can't speak to competency, though I am aware once they receive their title/degree, they no longer have the professional development and certification requirements every five years or so like the US.

Regardless, correct, we did the designs - they did the paperwork, process & protocol, and rubber stamp shuffle.

nosaj

Post by nosaj » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:18 am

Thank you everyone for the valuable information! As well as the good laugh! I'm not sure I want to live in a house for a two headed alien 😂😂😂👽
I will make sure I do all the designs as well as the actual building but looks like I will need to get an architect to do the paperwork and rubber stamping.
Thanks everyone!