junking an old car

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

junking an old car

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:25 am

How do you do this in Chile? I have an old VW Parati that's ready for the junkyard, but I don't even know what a junkyard is called here. Or even if they exist anywhere near Coquimbo. Thanks for any help.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

thisisreallycomplicated

Re: junking an old car

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:55 pm

I found a place called "Desarmaduría Libertad", in La Serena. And this is the info I could find:
https://coquimbo.guianegocios.cl/empres ... ertad.html

Descripción:
Compra De Autos Chocados Desarme De Autos Repuesto

Rubros:
• Desarmadurías de Autos
Does anyone here know if that's a junkyard, where they'll take old cars?
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:13 pm

possible. they are typically on the southern edge of Santiago.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:21 am

admin wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:13 pm
possible. they are typically on the southern edge of Santiago.
Thanks. I really hope I don't need to send it to Santiago, since I'm in Coquimbo.

snobrd4life

Post by snobrd4life » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:36 am

You may want to walk into a repair shop and ask what they typically do with their junkers. That, or ask your insurance company where they send their totaled vehicles.

If you are limiting your search to junk yards with an online presence, I'm not surprised that you aren't finding anything close by. I doubt that the juice is worth the squeeze for a yard owner to maintain an online presence in the junk vehicle disposal/recycling industry.

Good luck!
ese ruido blanco es una alarma en mis oídos
Not in Chile for now, but still lurking.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:45 pm

snobrd4life wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:36 am
You may want to walk into a repair shop and ask what they typically do with their junkers. That, or ask your insurance company where they send their totaled vehicles.
Thanks, that sounds like a good idea.
snobrd4life wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:36 am
If you are limiting your search to junk yards with an online presence, I'm not surprised that you aren't finding anything close by. I doubt that the juice is worth the squeeze for a yard owner to maintain an online presence in the junk vehicle disposal/recycling industry.
Yeah, I don't think a lot of these businesses have websites. I just found "Desarmaduría Libertad" information on one of those business listing sites. One problem is I don't even know for sure what a junkyard is called here. "Desarmaduría" seems about right, but there could be others I don't know about.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:24 pm

A girl at the beer store just told me that a junkyard is called a desarmaduría here. So Desarmaduría Libertad might be what I need.