Getting a Chilean Driving License

General topics related to Living in Chile
Julito

Re: Getting a Chilean Driving License

Post by Julito » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:15 pm

To those who´ve done the driving license exam, how much of this 165 page instruction book do I need to study? Much of it is dedicated to explaining how a car works, physiology, driver responsibilities etc etc. to new inexperienced drivers. Or does the exam focus only on the rules of the road?

http://www.mtt.gob.cl/wp-content/upload ... ndbook.pdf

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:22 pm

Julito wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:15 pm
To those who´ve done the driving license exam, how much of this 165 page instruction book do I need to study? Much of it is dedicated to explaining how a car works, physiology, driver responsibilities etc etc. to new inexperienced drivers. Or does the exam focus only on the rules of the road?

Most of it, the questions can include everything you mentioned and even calculation of breaking distances. Check this questionary, it's quite close to the real exam's content: http://www.nunoa.cl/images/pdf/transito ... lase_b.pdf

Julito

Post by Julito » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:34 pm

Thanks for that, though reading through the various threads on the subject it seems I´ll have to jump through alot of hoops before arriving there.
The head of the local traffic office gave instructions this morning which would´ve sent me on a wild goose chase to Santiago given other members experiences in following similar instructions.

GAminer

Post by GAminer » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:50 pm

Julito wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:15 pm

There is a website or two with practice exams that contain all the possible questions that could be asked, literally word for word the same. Do them a couple of times until you feel comfortable and then take the test. It is really quite easy if you are an experienced driver.

Julito

Post by Julito » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:12 pm

Thanks, can you point me to them?

at46

Post by at46 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:43 pm

Julito wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:12 pm
Thanks, can you point me to them?
https://www.educacionvial.cl/examen-interactivo.html

Julito

Post by Julito » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:50 pm

Excellent at46, that´s very user friendly.

ghibli

Post by ghibli » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:30 pm

Julito - do that practice exam two or three times and you should be fine. You can take the exam in english. It is multiple choice. Many of the questions include photos of streets with vehicles and what have you. You are to state what is the correct behavior. Just take your time and make sure you understand the question. Some times they throw in a curve ball. The reflexes tests are a trip! You need to really! jump on the brakes.

Good luck.

New topic. I took your advice regarding the mulch for my fruit trees which are looking much better. Thanks!

Julito

Post by Julito » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:37 pm

Thanks ghibli, my turn to take your advice.

Great to hear! Just keep mulching them out to the drip line as they grow and as the soil improves you can start thinking about what seasonal edibles to plant under them.

chilly

Post by chilly » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:09 am

Here is an interesting web site with tips on practicing the "psicotécnico" part of the driving exam. It mentions new tests of 2020 but I wouldn't know what is actually new. It even references a free google app for practicing but I'm not using an android phone at the moment.

There are weird tests refered to as "Lahy". A Valpo municipalidad site mentions the "Lahy" part as sensométrico.
¿Qué exámenes debo rendir?
Examen teórico
Examen psicométrico (Reactimetro Simple)
Examen sensométrico (Test de Lahy)
Entrevista médica
Examen práctico

Anyway, here is the site:
https://practicatest.cl/blog/tramites-y ... ico-manejo

The youtube video is great as it shows someone practicing the two very strange Lahy test devices.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:21 pm

Those tests in the link are the same ones I did 6 years ago in Las Condes. I renewed my license yesterday and the machines were newer but the tests the same. I never do very well on the scissors but the others I do well. The eye test was a bit of a joke really and very easy. It seemed to me shorter than last time and missing the reaction to bright light bit but they said I did well on that bit so who knows. What was notable from the previous experience was the general atmosphere with smiling faces, politeness and greetings replacing the sullen silence of las time. The Doctor, who must have been 85 and on crutches last time, now arrived in a wheelchair! There were two other doctors as well which is new and speeds things up. A 15 minute wait and I was handed my new license. One hour all told.

I think the experience varies widely by municipality with some just getting the equipment now. Anywhere in Santiago is going to have fewer people queueing in summer. They had about 50 people there yesterday in Las Condes. That was a mix of renewals and new licenses (all types).

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:37 pm

can you rember 300 questions?

that is all that is to it. they will ask you a sample of those, and you can work through the logic of 80% (if you want to call it logic).
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.