Sugary food in chile

All topics related to food in Chile including, Chilean food, expat food favorites, exchanging recipes, where to shop, hard to find foods, substitute ingredients and foods, food quality, restaurants, and more. If you can eat it in Chile, post it here.
Forum rules
No advertising. Please post in the classifieds section.
mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Sugary food in chile

Post by mem » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:57 am

I had read this article hoping to come across a part that decries the sugary yellow mustard that is an epidemic in Chile.

I have to buy imported Frenchs yellow mustard just to have an honest good yellow mustard that tastes the way mustard should taste.
Why must all Chilean brands of mustard be defiled with sugar? Is nothing sacred?

https://amp.ft.com/content/d481cf02-1e4 ... f9738d6b2b

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 18042
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Sugary food in chile

Post by admin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:30 am

chileans have an aversion to anything even slightly spicy.

my nephew (at about 6 years old) actuelly broke down crying one time when i set a black pepper shaker on the table. he believed i had put it on the food.

i have since fixed that by having spicy sauce tasting competions with him, to see who could stand the spiciest sauces in my refrigerator. i have some crazy hot habanero sauce in my collection that would make good pepper spray, and got him to try it with a smile and a giggle. now he likes to prove how tuff he is by dumping hot sauce on things without reacting.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Donnybrook
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 3229
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:34 am
Location: Santiago, Chile

Re: Sugary food in chile

Post by Donnybrook » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:54 pm

I guess the "way mustard should taste" depends on what you are familiar with - and you can, as you say, get the one you like.. Some would prefer Coleman's. The Financial Times wasn't really writing about specific food but the labelling.

Although I originally mocked those black labels, I now find them useful for spotting at a glance the foods to avoid. I do object to having them stuck to a very expensive box of chocolates (bought in a chocolate shop) which I want o give as a gift. I really don't think that is necessary and they make a very pretty box look ugly.

mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Sugary food in chile

Post by mem » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:23 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:54 pm
I guess the "way mustard should taste" depends on what you are familiar with - and you can, as you say, get the one you like.. Some would prefer Coleman's. The Financial Times wasn't really writing about specific food but the labelling.

Although I originally mocked those black labels, I now find them useful for spotting at a glance the foods to avoid. I do object to having them stuck to a very expensive box of chocolates (bought in a chocolate shop) which I want o give as a gift. I really don't think that is necessary and they make a very pretty box look ugly.
Sure, I suppose it is a fair point that "what mustard should taste like" is subjective. I used to always get fancy mustard that was dijon or gourmet brown mustard. But in the last couple decades I have become a yellow mustard purist, just really prefer it on a sandwich, etc

I guess what really get me riled up about it, is that plain yellow mustard was always a reasonably healthy condiment...basically turmeric and mustard seeds. Whereas with a lot of ketchups, they are filled with sugar or worse high fructose corn syrup. So I hate to see mustard in the stores and restaurants basically brought down to the level of an unhealthy sugary condiment.

When I was young my mom was in to homeopathy and one of the remedies for a cold or flu was to mix chicken broth with huge amounts of yellow mustard...I guess for the turmeric and fluids, but I remember it tasting awful.

Regarding spicy hot sauces I love them...but again when I read the labels of the local stuff they are often filled with bad ingredients, sodium benzoate, MSG, other needless crap etc...especially any of the typical chilean brands you find in the stores
The only exceptions I have found available locally are the Habanero Tobasco...no nonsense added and pretty hot. Another is Cholula, but it is not very hot, but a good sauce for eggs, tacos, burritos, enchiladas etc

I also like the green jalapeno Tabasco, again not too hot in spite of the jalapenos....but a good flavor

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 990
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Sugary food in chile

Post by at46 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:22 pm

I wonder if Don Harry in Santiago might have mustard seeds so you could make your own mustard paste. If you like Asian hot sauces you might find something more or less clean in the Chinese/Korean stores in Patronato as they sell products from all of Asia and even USDA organic products.

User avatar
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 731
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Sugary food in chile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:24 pm

They also cover the pringles man face up with a black sticker on pringles. Lol. I too mocked the labels at first, but you gotta educate and push the masses into behavior changes I guess , and this is a good a way as any because they won't make healthy choices themselves .
What I have noticed though is there are already dozens of cheap fruit and vegetable places in poorer areas, waaay cheaper than any vegetables you will ever find at Jumbo or most supers, yet a lot of people in those neighborhoods are the unhealthiest overweight people. Its honestly child abuse when you see all those fat kids, yeah I suppose it's a lack of education and all that , but ffs its getting ridiculous , it's the same worldwide.
Yeah we can blame food companies and everyone else but I really dont know what the answer is, but I guess when you still see so many people smoking in cars with kids and shit like that, what hope is there that they will feed them healthy food if they are seriously not pushed by the government. As much as it pains me too say free choice has failed for lots , if adults just can't control themselves thats one thing but worse when they are inflicting a life of physical and mental health problems on their little darlings. For what's it worth NZ is a lot worse than Chile,
Comuna Loncotoro Lakes Region Chile

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 990
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Sugary food in chile

Post by at46 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:55 pm

41southchile wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:24 pm
They also cover the pringles man face up with a black sticker on pringles. Lol. I too mocked the labels at first, but you gotta educate and push the masses into behavior changes I guess , and this is a good a way as any because they won't make healthy choices themselves .
What I have noticed though is there are already dozens of cheap fruit and vegetable places in poorer areas, waaay cheaper than any vegetables you will ever find at Jumbo or most supers, yet a lot of people in those neighborhoods are the unhealthiest overweight people. Its honestly child abuse when you see all those fat kids, yeah I suppose it's a lack of education and all that , but ffs its getting ridiculous , it's the same worldwide.
Yeah we can blame food companies and everyone else but I really dont know what the answer is, but I guess when you still see so many people smoking in cars with kids and shit like that, what hope is there that they will feed them healthy food if they are seriously not pushed by the government. As much as it pains me too say free choice has failed for lots , if adults just can't control themselves thats one thing but worse when they are inflicting a life of physical and mental health problems on their little darlings. For what's it worth NZ is a lot worse than Chile,
You should land in any US city even for a minute to lose any remaining faith in humanity for good. Although I don't know if it's those people's choices or there's something else going on, given they're the only ones on the planet, besides Mexicans, who are that fat. Chilean problem is carbs - as in white bread dipped in palta paste and washed down with sugary tea.

User avatar
eeuunikkeiexpat
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 7574
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:38 am
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Re: Sugary food in chile

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:40 pm

Regarding ketchup, multiple Heinz ketchup products on the store shelf. One is made in Mexico and the others in the US. The US ones have HFCS while the Mexican made one sugar.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Coquimbo

Re: Sugary food in chile

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:58 pm

I bought a small bottle of lemon juice about a year ago, thinking it would actually be lemon juice. But it was mainly some form of added sugar, so I dumped it out because it was useless. Then I went back to the store, and looked at the other brands, and they were all the same. I can't even imagine what it's like to be a dog here, and have to eat dog "food". I almost never see a healthy looking dog. They're either on the streets eating garbage, or obviously getting fed with dog "food". I'm sure it's a lot better than starving, but it's still not healthy.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

User avatar
hlf2888
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:19 pm
Location: seventh region

Re: Sugary food in chile

Post by hlf2888 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Most people are years behind in studying and applying the relationship between diet, nutrition and health. I buy very few packaged products but when I do, I know what is inside. The only decent additive free mustard and/or sauerkraut I have found is imported from Germany. Had to bring a lead free fermentation pot to make my own.

mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Sugary food in chile

Post by mem » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:40 pm
Regarding ketchup, multiple Heinz ketchup products on the store shelf. One is made in Mexico and the others in the US. The US ones have HFCS while the Mexican made one sugar.
Yes! I know it is darned confusing. Buying ketchup turns into a perry mason who dun it. My wife who is far sighted has the worst time getting the right ketchup. Long ago we made the mistake of thinking all the Heinz were the same. I hadn't zeroed it down to the country of origin, I just ended up reading the ingredients every freakin time we are at any store looking at anything purporting to be ketchup (dont even bother looking at anything with Don or Marco in the brand). Such a pain. Then I look around at the rabble that couldn't give a flying a fig about what is in their condiments while they are buying two liter bottles of Kem. Could that even have a more apt name? Chem/Kem?

mem
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:18 am

Re: Sugary food in chile

Post by mem » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:06 pm

hlf2888 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:22 pm
Most people are years behind in studying and applying the relationship between diet, nutrition and health. I buy very few packaged products but when I do, I know what is inside. The only decent additive free mustard and/or sauerkraut I have found is imported from Germany. Had to bring a lead free fermentation pot to make my own.
Thats a great idea, some of the stuff from europe can be pretty good.

Another abomination is ice cream in chile. I mean the garbage they sell in the tubs here is just beyond the pale. The "best" ice cream, meaning the least offensive is Haagen Daz and boy is that not saying much. I mentioned to a friend in the US that the "best" ice cream here is Haagen Daz if you can find it in the stores and he was just appalled

I think you are on the right track...you gotta make your own. Finding organic ice cream made from free range grass fed cows is just not possible...let alone free from needless stupid asinine additives. The only option is to make your own and that will also mean procuring a bunch of hectares and a bunch of free range grass fed cows. I can get milk from the farmers with a bit of cream, but getting pure cream I have not been able to...enough to make my own ice cream. The cream in the stores is yet another abomination if you care to read the ingredients

I just can't believe how little to no standards the locals have here for what they shove down their gullet. The typical ice cream tubs that the el tits, unimarcs, and liders stock are just disgusting, it's like fake food that consists almost entirely of artificial flavors and colors and stabilizers.

What really makes me despair is knowing how common it is for chileans to want to pay the lowest price for anything. Results be damned. Longevity be damned, Quality be damned. Just give me the lowest price in pesos!

And then that crosses over to the food they are buying...and so it is a cycle of despair that the mean will ever change and at least, for the love of Ohiggins, have some standards for what people are eating and forcing their family/kids to eat while they are winning cause they saved a few pesos...ffs

Post Reply