If you have a Casilla Miami account, your credit card may be stolen

General topics related to Living in Chile
Space Cat

If you have a Casilla Miami account, your credit card may be stolen

Post by Space Cat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:51 pm

Correos de Chile hired the least qualified developers they could find and ended up having some of their user data available to anyone.

They leaked at least names and last 4 numbers from over 14,000 Chilean credit cards. But they also accepted foreign cards and I probably got affected too because their user interface from the 90s didn't even have a button to delete my card after I tried their forwarding service.

Still, nobody can't guarantee that they didn't leak more data, so if you have an account with an unexpired card then better block it as soon as possible and order a new one.

Well, Chilebox from Chilexpress is a much better alternative anyway.

admin
Site Admin

Re: If you have a Casilla Miami account, your credit card may be stolen

Post by admin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:38 pm

Correos de Chile is trying to deny they are the ones, but ...

actually, if you have an exposed expired card, you might want to block it too.

Long story, but years ago my father and I were in Gutatemala. We were on a rural bus up on the mountains, and he got pick pocketed. Well, the wallet they got was a decoy with an expired card and some daily spending cash. We had both traveled around sufficiently to know never leave the valuable stuff in your pocket.

About 3 years later, he gets a call from his credit card company. They tell him that his card was used in New York (yea, mountains of Guatemala to New York), and he owed 18,000 dollars. He told them good luck with collecting, and hung up. He knew they had no angle to collect, but I am sure if only 1% of the people fall for it by acknowledging the debt, it makes sense to give it a try.

Point is dont assume a card is going to be treated as canceled automatically by your credit card company. One of the dirtiest industries on the planet. They will try to stick you with the bill, if they think they can get away with it.

Overall, I am just amazed that it has taken Chile this long to even start freaking out about cyber security issues. Brace for impact. basically every major company in the country is massively vulnerable, and the decades of ignoring privacy and security issues is coming home to roost in a big way. I expect there to be far more data scandals as they finally start to realize that they have all been breached for years. Perhaps they will finally stop hiring their cousins kid in the basement to build their flash web sites for major corporations.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:05 am

I was looking at the number of cards, and i think that came off a single point of sale system. 14000 cards is not that many, and due the number of expired cards and the number of foreign cards, it was probably something related to the tourism industry and were collected a long time ago. Hotel, restaurant.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:05 pm

Now it's over 50,000 cards from various LatAm banks:
https://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/nac ... anos.shtml

mem

Post by mem » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:44 am

This is supposedly a list of the names of those compromised. Not sure if it includes the expanding understanding of the full extent of the exploit

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... view#gid=0

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:10 pm

We have independently confirmed ourselves that it is Correos de Chile maimi shipping boxes.

We ran a search on the list of stolen cards for anyone we knew. We found several. Notified them. The common denominator was they all had accounts with correos de chile boxes in miami.

My recomendation is if you have or have ever given a credit card to correos de chile for any reason, cancel your card and request a new one.

at46

Post by at46 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:39 pm

mem wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:44 am
This is supposedly a list of the names of those compromised. Not sure if it includes the expanding understanding of the full extent of the exploit

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... view#gid=0
Thank you for this. Not fun discovering my name on that list.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:59 pm

Did you receive any notification from your bank?

at46

Post by at46 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:10 pm

Donnybrook wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:59 pm
Nope, nada. I'll go talk to them tomorrow.

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:48 pm

at46 wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:10 pm
Donnybrook wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:59 pm
Nope, nada. I'll go talk to them tomorrow.
A lot of people I know were advised by their bank. As everyone should have been.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:30 am

Say i might also point out something that has been common to almost all credit card thefts we have run in to in recent years: florida.

I was in florida a few years ago with my wife's family from chile. We stopped at a cracker barril restaurant on the side of the road for lunch. My wife's chilean credit card was cloned and was being used at a wall mart in los angels california within almost 30 mins of leaving the restaurant.

About a year later, we were on vacation in the brazilan amazon. I get a call from my bank that my card had been used at a wall mart in the midwest. I was to the lady on the phone, "i am about as far as anyone can get from that wall mart; i am on a boat in the middle of the amazon river".

I have cards i keep "sterile" for emergencies, some that i only use for foreign travel outside chile, and some i only use for online purchases. They are linked to accounts that i only move money in to sufficient to cover the use of the card, so if stolen and i have fight with the banks over it they can only do so much damage. That was a u.s. card that i only used on that trip to florida. I never used it for anything except that trip to florida.

By the way, the whole time we were in florida we had non-stop problems with the banks blocking our cards, both american banks and chilean banks. So the fraud detection systems know florida is radio active, or their computer systems would not be so sentive.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:39 pm

Hmmm, Florida state. Only fraudulent incident happened to me and it was an American Express card. I normally check each CC monthly statement or take a quick glance at the bill before paying it off. In that Amex statement saw a charge at Bed and Bath store purchase in Florida state..

The charged amount was something like US$360. Called Amex and explained that my CC was used in FL without me authorizing the charge. It seemed that the CC was swiped by using an old card imprinting system on multiple laminated carbon copy and
signed on right at the store.

Amex sent me the copy of signed off carbon copy but the signature on it was far from my own signature.
In end, it seems that the perpetrator(s) got my CC number and exp date along the secure code..? I was perplexed as why in the hell the Ladrones got hold of my CC info? Then it clicked on me ...

I had purchased a high definition Hughes electronics converter box ( the birth years of HD circa 2007~8 think required a special box to watch HD programmes) in Amazon from a private party and remembered that the seller asked me for my CC info in detail and that was it, he sold my info to his buddy hence the fraudulent charge.

Amex notified FBI about my story and they got apprehended and ending in jail all together. But that incident left me with a bad taste in my mouth.
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.