Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Anything at all (keep it clean) goes here that does not fit in to any of the other forums.

Moderator: eeuunikkeiexpat

HybridAmbassador

Re: Buying a car for 12mil without a bank account

Post by HybridAmbassador » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:05 pm

scandinavian wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:01 pm
If you can wait until a bit closer to 1st of September, then you should be able to negotiate a decent discount on a 2018 model (as cars sold after 1/9 are 2019) models. Need to look around a bit and find a dealer that has some models left that have already been registered. I still have not seen a financing bonus that is worth it. Normally they charge ridiculous interest rate in the area of 2% / month.
Some model that already being "registered"? do you mean an used vehicle or dealer's demonstrators? Once a new vehicle gets registered doesn't that vehicle become an used car? So go for an used car vs brand new car?
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:29 pm

For whatever reason, they sometimes register them before selling - still completely new.
Even if it is not registered, then you can normally still make some deals when it gets close to 1st of September. Without knowing it, then I guess it is related to bonuses / sales targets. I have in 2 cases been able to negotiate considerable discounts above 1MM when purchasing around that date.
Now on the other hand, the dollar is way up which should affect the import price, which might make it a better deal to buy straight away with "old" exchange rates"

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:03 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:02 pm
I just sent another Toyota Camry Hybrid to my friend in Santiasco. He came a few months ago and I went with him to one of my Toyota dealership I know of and got him a deal that he was astonished to find that the price from MSRP or manufacturer's suggested retail price down to way back of that car's "invoice? ! No tax paid since that vehicle destination is to Chile. The shipping Roll on to Roll off destination San Antonio came to US$1800. he also wanted to customize interior leather upholstery to all red, came to US$1098, of course at "invoice" price from my friend the owner of Coach Automotive re-styling of California. The original leather that came with the car were shipped in the car's boot but praying that the Chilean custom won't levy too hefty duty ? Oh the price of this vehicle total came to thousands of Dollars less including all shipping plus the tax imposed on the same vehicle as if my friend had gotten it in Chile.. So in most cases when purchasing a brand new vehicle it beats for its purchase done in CA instead of Chile.
Sending it back for major warranty repair can up the price abit.........
It's all about the wine.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:22 pm

nwdiver wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:03 pm
HybridAmbassador wrote:
I just sent another Toyota Camry Hybrid to my friend in Santiasco. He came a few months ago and I went with him to one of my Toyota dealership I know of and got him a deal that he was astonished to find that the price from MSRP or manufacturer's suggested retail price down to way back of that car's "invoice? ! No tax paid since that vehicle destination is to Chile. The shipping Roll on to Roll off destination San Antonio came to US$1800. he also wanted to customize interior leather upholstery to all red, came to US$1098, of course at "invoice" price from my friend the owner of Coach Automotive re-styling of California. The original leather that came with the car were shipped in the car's boot but praying that the Chilean custom won't levy too hefty duty ? Oh the price of this vehicle total came to thousands of Dollars less including all shipping plus the tax imposed on the same vehicle as if my friend had gotten it in Chile.. So in most cases when purchasing a brand new vehicle it beats for its purchase done in CA instead of Chile.
With Toyota reliability, there never been a worry for warranty claim. By the way, he also owns a 2007 Camry Hybrid that never seen any problem needing warranty claim and I helped acquire back then.On that model, he has accumulated more than 190k miles then sold it to his mechanic. Only repair needed a nickel metal battery which I sent him and cost was less than US$2k freight included. So over 11 years pattern he spent small amount and time to have his Toyota car running. How much money have you spent for your Highlander Hybrid there in Chile?

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:31 pm

As much as I love my toyota, they have their issues, and considering the cost for both the car and to repair them in Chile, I definitely would want warranty service to go with the first few years new. It is like any new tech, especially cars, if it is a lemon or just bugs, it will be typically found out in the first year or two. Even then, years later the recalls crop-up, and I would not want to get the song and dance from the local dealers that it is not their problem on an imported vehicle.

I was driving a friends hilux last year, and it started on fire. luckily I was parked in the driveway, and there happened to be a mechanic working on another car next to me at my brother in laws house. Burned the entire wiring harness. After replacing all the wiring, they still could not find the cause. About the 10th mechanic, one finally struck gold and realized that it was a short in the tail light. So, it would not show-up under standard diagnosis, unless you were pressing the break peddle with the engine running.

Or, how about the infamous frame rust where they used cheap rust protection paint on the frames. That one actually turned in to a bit of an urban legend in Chile, where people still tell you not to buy a red toyota pickups used, because they were used in mining and the exposure to the mining chemicals eat up the under body. Took me a while to finally put those two stories together and realize that it was the same problem all over the world that had nothing to do with mining.
http://autoweek.com/article/recalls/toy ... 34-billion

The latest one I have also seen first hand with toyota hiluxes parked at my house. I never seen a real live rat near my house (my cat is really good), unless my friends had their hilux parked at my house. Then my cat was doing a brisk biz the whole time they were in my yard. I finally started parking them away from my own cars and the house, because they attracted so many mice and rats. by the way, I still suspect the fire above was connected to the mice below.

https://bgr.com/2016/12/19/vehicle-reca ... oy-wiring/

I read somewhere that the rabbits were stripping the cars clean at the denver airport long-term parking.

I got lucky with my FJ crusier. A year earlier had the rust problem, and a year or two later had the soy wiring problem.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

manivel43

Post by manivel43 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:22 am

Hi Guys,

Talking about the reliability and issues on the cars, what brands or models will you recommend to buy in chile or in particular, Santiago?
This is the first time i am buying a car and i have zero knowledge about their reliably. All i have got is the info from the articles. I believe getting inputs from experienced people will be of more than handy when compared to just believing in articles written by some people (may be paid to write good about the car models).

What is the most reliable brand / model in chile and also considering the fact about cheap maintenance too ? i understand cheap buying price doesnt mean better cars or cheap to maintain. spare parts availability and price are also factors to consider.

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:42 am

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:22 pm
nwdiver wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:03 pm
HybridAmbassador wrote:
With Toyota reliability, there never been a worry for warranty claim. By the way, he also owns a 2007 Camry Hybrid that never seen any problem needing warranty claim and I helped acquire back then.On that model, he has accumulated more than 190k miles then sold it to his mechanic. Only repair needed a nickel metal battery which I sent him and cost was less than US$2k freight included. So over 11 years pattern he spent small amount and time to have his Toyota car running. How much money have you spent for your Highlander Hybrid there in Chile?

Gone not my problem anymore........problems with the electric window system.....over and over again......I prefer the window open not AC, the new owner never opens a window so no problem......
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:10 am

manivel43 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:22 am
Hi Guys,

Talking about the reliability and issues on the cars, what brands or models will you recommend to buy in chile or in particular, Santiago?
This is the first time i am buying a car and i have zero knowledge about their reliably. All i have got is the info from the articles. I believe getting inputs from experienced people will be of more than handy when compared to just believing in articles written by some people (may be paid to write good about the car models).

What is the most reliable brand / model in chile and also considering the fact about cheap maintenance too ? i understand cheap buying price doesnt mean better cars or cheap to maintain. spare parts availability and price are also factors to consider.
In spote of the above...

I would probably still buy a toyota. Next up would be hyundai. Hyundai have earned a rep for being reliable, while not being nearly as expensive as the toyotas.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

scandinavian

Post by scandinavian » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:50 am

I prefer Subaru - Had 2 so far and no problems at all. 5 year warranty / 100.000KM.
They tend to be a bit thirsty, so if you drive a lot, it might not be the best option.

manivel43

Post by manivel43 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:17 pm

I am kinda in dilemma between choosing a mazda 3 sedan and hyundai accent sedan.
You inputs about these 2 cars would enlighten me a bit.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:56 pm

admin wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:10 am
manivel43 wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:22 am
Hi Guys,

In spote of the above...

I would probably still buy a toyota. Next up would be hyundai. Hyundai have earned a rep for being reliable, while not being nearly as expensive as the toyotas.
Suggestion brands: (1) Toyota. (2) Honda. (3) Subaru. (4) Mazda. (5) Suzuki. These will be my preference. As long as dependability and reliability, Toyota ranks as the most durable in world standard. Also the upkeep and replacement parts are very reasonable priced.

Just Google for the best brands of the world and I'm pretty sure that the Toyota/Lexus comes as a top most reliable models.

kw2chile

Post by kw2chile » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:38 pm

Anyone have firsthand experience with the KIA frontier flatbed. Not your typical commuter, I know, but I have been tracking new and used ones for about a year. It would appear, given the used prices on chileautos, that cars in Chile tend to have a ridiculously high resale value??