What would you want with land in Chile ?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
frozen-north

Re: What would you want with land in Chile ?

Post by frozen-north » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:24 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
You are aware of what happened in Aysén with the $100.000 annual bono doled out by the government to allow the needy to buy dry wood?
http://www.revistaei.cl/2018/06/05/ayse ... aminacion/
They use the bono to buy iPhones and more shoes?
Gloria wrote: The fact in part is lot of ignorance, on the other, priorities are "confused" thinking a car comes first, the latest cellular, the big tv, and brand name clothing.
'la intendenta reconoce que muchas familias lo usan para comprar alimentos'

“La gente quema hasta plástico para calefaccionarse. Y me dicen que en Coyhaique queman ropa y zapatos viejos”, explica la intendenta.

http://www.revistaei.cl/2018/06/05/ayse ... aminacion/

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:28 pm

frozen-north wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:24 pm
They use the bono to buy iPhones and more shoes?
The point is that the money wasn't used for its intended purpose, to reduce contamination.

Speaking of shoes.... perhaps you remember the clothing bonos handed out after the Valpo fires....
"Si una persona determina que es más importante comprarse un zapato bueno, de la mejor calidad que hay, también es válido. Es parte de la decisión que toma cada uno", añadió.

Sin embargo el intendente hizo un hincapié: "Si compraran dos o tres pares de zapatos para después venderlos, eso sería reprochable moralmente".
So was OK for the "damnificados" to buy Nikes and football shirts with government aid money, but not to resell them.

http://www.eleconomistaamerica.cl/actua ... ental.html

As for burning plastic, they sometimes do it here in Serena at night, when the inspectors aren't around. Reason? People are too cheap to pay the small municipal charge for refuse collection, and burn household rubbish in their patios, or dump their waste into other people's bins. Or load up the camioneta and dispose of it in the countryside.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 pm

Gloria wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 pm
Does it means we are part of the "league" of whining "expats" and self-hating Chileans?
Speaking for myself, If I were Chilean, I guess I would be a facho pobre.
But I guess I'm just an expat whiner.
Whine, whine.
Bienvenidos a Chaqueteo City.

Après moi, le déluge

frozen-north

Post by frozen-north » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:47 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Speaking of shoes.... perhaps you remember the clothing bonos handed out after the Valpo fires....

"Si una persona determina que es más importante comprarse un zapato bueno, de la mejor calidad que hay, también es válido. Es parte de la decisión que toma cada uno", añadió.

Sin embargo el intendente hizo un hincapié: "Si compraran dos o tres pares de zapatos para después venderlos, eso sería reprochable moralmente".

So was OK for the "damnificados" to buy Nikes and football shirts with government aid money, but not to resell them.

As for burning plastic, they sometimes do it here in Serena at night, ......
Your examples are not really related to the topic. The first one is a bit closer, but the second one is unrelated.
The point is that the money wasn't used for its intended purpose, to reduce contamination.
Then the problem is on the solutions presented by the government, not what the people did. Their behaviour is perfectly reasonable. They need to balance their need for food with the need to stay warm, and taking some of the money to buy food seems quite reasonable.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:00 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:46 pm
41southchile wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:14 am
How many people do you think die each year prematurely from air pollution or develop respiratory problems in Santiago ?
Plenty, I would guess the real extent of the problem is under-reported. But even in places where atmospheric contamination shouldn't be an issue, it is. In La Serena, since around 2000, we have seen a big increase in diesel soot.The elderly buses (pre-amarillos) that were prohibited in Santiago ended up en provincia, where they happily belch out black fumes to this day. (so much for the Revisión Técnica!) It doesnt help that low-sulphur diesel ciudad is only sold in Santiago. And since it hardly rains here, the soot stays in circulation.The effects of PM 2.5 particles on human health are well known, but the environmentalists are strangely silent on this issue.

Less well-known are its effects on electronics...my pbx pc that had run for 8 years non-stop recently failed, and wouldn't reboot. Ended up pulling it completely apart, and found that the normally-hidden area of the motherboard under the CPU heatsink was covered with black clingy soot, which is mainly Carbon, hence conductive. It wouldn't brush or blow off. Had to wash it off with alcohol to get the machine going again.
I ran in to the exact same problem years ago. I was asked to have a look at some computers in an office in santiago that were failing. When i opened them up, there was a film of black dust on everything. The heavy metal charged particles in the air were sticking to all the connections on the mother board. The only time i had seen something similar was volcanic dust in central america that also had a charge in the dust and would stick to the computer components. It caused the mb to short out.

I thought that was really strange, until i looked out the window and realized we were on the 7th floor, and all the buildings had a faint dark line around the 7th or 8th floor, where certain types of heavy metals in the smog sort of got stuck in the thermal layers. That was back when they had the yellow buses pushing really heavy diesel fumes in santiago.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:42 am

fraggle092 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 pm
Gloria wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 pm
Does it means we are part of the "league" of whining "expats" and self-hating Chileans?
Whine, whine.
Wine? Ok I'll admit wining but I also engage in pisco-ing. As they say, when life gives you lemons, make pisco sours. :)
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:52 pm

fraggle092 wrote:
Whine, whine.
As 41southchile said recently, the problem with Chile that the politicians don't have a vision despite the enormous potential of the country. I'd add that most of population is so focused on the failures that they're not creating a vision either. They don't believe in their country despite all its tremendous achievements. When immigrants who have lived in other places and should have some points of reference join the choir of "everything is so bad and getting worse", it's plain harmful.

That's not about the "positive thinking" mentioned above, just basic psychology: not digging yourself a hole of learned helplessness or even depression with a constant reinforcement of negative thoughts.

at46

Post by at46 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:52 pm
fraggle092 wrote:
Whine, whine.
When immigrants who have lived in other places and should have some points of reference join the choir of "everything is so bad and getting worse", it's plain harmful.
So what are you going to do? Censorship? I say let people say whatever they want to say, as long as you're able to maintain distance between yourself and their negativity. Also, if everyone were praising Chile like there's no tomorrow, how many more would wanna come here? 'Ain't nobody got time for that' :)

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:34 pm

at46 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:05 pm
So what are you going to do? Censorship? I say let people say whatever they want to say, as long as you're able to maintain distance between yourself and their negativity. Also, if everyone were praising Chile like there's no tomorrow, how many more would wanna come here? 'Ain't nobody got time for that' :)
Nah, just continue replying that's it's decent and not that bad. I don't care much but believe that it's not productive to sustain an echo chamber of any kind, be it positive or negative.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:39 pm

While I'm usually not as negative as some and even somewhat overly positive sometimes, my view has seen two big minuses within the past year, the amount of low skilled immigrants many who refused a generous amnesty and who will indeed change the face of Chile and the failure of the Maersk refrigerated container plant which will give any other multi a big pause before even considering Chile. The biggest minus in my time here was how Chile virtually did nothing with the commodity boom windfall of the 2000s. And the vision problem has unfortunately been a long term one whos only hope are the jovenes who have travelled and been exposed to the extranjero but who themselves are caught up in the maldicion of being glued to smart phone tech and social media.

Future plus, the PGE and the southern cone entry point for the new world economic order of OBOR, other than that, Chile will just remain a sometimes value added commodity producer and will continue to be a nice place to travel, vacation or move to if you got the funds.
There are two ways to be fooled.

One is to believe what isn't true;

the other is to refuse to believe what is true.

- Søren Kierkegaard

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Chile
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Darwin

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:26 pm

Maybe get a Dropbox, the free quota should be enough for your important documents.
41southchile wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:42 pm
What is normal anyway ?
It's fine – a bit hard to follow your train of thought but sharing unresolved ideas on the Internet often helps to shape them better. 😌