The trade wars, they have begun

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
admin
Site Admin

The trade wars, they have begun

Post by admin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:00 pm

I am still sort of on the fence about trumps trade war stupidity. Will it be good or bad?

I think it will be a desaster for the united states, but probably a good thing for everyone else. Suddendly free trade agreements that had been moving slowly are on super fast forward, and the united states is not being invited to the party.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/18/w ... erica.html

Pinera gave a state of the union address last week. For the most part pretty long and dull.

But, when he got to trade subjects he went through a long list of countries and regions that chile was going to enhance trade with.

One country never got mentioned.

10 years ago it would have been nearly unthinkable for trade to be discussed in almost any form in chile without some mention of the u.s. market, even if just in passing.

Pretty much every major trading block and country is gearing up some sort if retalitory tarrifs against the u.s., and would expect this week to be just a steady stream of announcments around the world.

Chile so far seems to be keeping its head down, but lets see how this play out.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

nwdiver

Re: The trade wars, they have begun

Post by nwdiver » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:11 pm

Trump's trade war has started and the US's major trade partners Canada, Mexico and the EU are not sitting back waiting, Canada is being surgical, targeting the states of major Republican senators, with numbers such as 25% tariff of bourbon, 30% on poultry, etc. They are looking at many other tariffs, when the layoffs start in the US, Trump will stick his head in the sand and as the saying goes "blame Canada" .

On another note NAFTA is dead, last week after an announcement by the US that talks were moving forward the VP "what's his name" phoned the Canadian PM and said a 5 year sunset clause was back on the table......Canada said not in this lifetime, it's a juvenile tactic to move talks forward by taking it off the table, but they did that last year, this gets old fast, do they think nobody remembers, I guess it's that they equate the world with thier dwindling power base's 10 second attention span...or was that the supreme leader's 10 second attention span.

Let's see...Trump wants a Noble for meeting with rocket man but doesn't think they will notice a massive international trade war?
It's all about the wine.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:55 pm

Yea, i would be just fine with sticking the Trumpets with the bill, but unfortunatly International trade is not that targeted.

The biggest single problem with this b.s., is the lack of any plan, objective, or any purpose beyond pumpimg trumps ego. You listen to the foreign trade reps that have sat across the table from the americans, and they dont even know if the americans are going to be there
in 10 mins, let alone what they want. The americans get a phone call , and suddendly months of work comes to an end with out any explanation. They just pack up and leave.

There are dozens of these reports from trade talks all over the world of the chaotic and amiture hour productions from the american delegations.

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

HybridAmbassador

Post by HybridAmbassador » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:11 pm

It is in all his " Art of deal " Ha,ha,haa. A 25 % tariff based in US security.?! Even Japan included, we house all its US base including Okinawa plus $10 billion whopping billions to support US military to gauge the PRC/Russia every year!
In the G7 finance ministers gathering in Singapore, Mnichin of the US being confronted by the G7 ministers, he said go and complain with Trump the issue is out of his hand..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

AnciaVagar

Post by AnciaVagar » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:16 pm

For completeness, trade wars began a few millennia ago.

at46

Post by at46 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:40 pm

HybridAmbassador wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:11 pm
It is in all his " Art of deal " Ha,ha,haa. A 25 % tariff based in US security.?! Even Japan included, we house all its US base including Okinawa plus $10 billion whopping billions to support US military to gauge the PRC/Russia every year!
In the G7 finance ministers gathering in Singapore, Mnichin of the US being confronted by the G7 ministers, he said go and complain with Trump the issue is out of his hand..
Oh, the joys of being a US vassal state. How much are the Japanese people paying to cover up GE Fukushima fuck up?

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:44 pm

US military rapists, environmental destroyers and racistas out of Okinawa! Japan out of Okinawa if butt buddies with the forementioned!

Just my prejudiced opinions after sipping on some premium Valle del Elqui 45 pisco from Doña Josefa :mrgreen:
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

fraggle092

Post by fraggle092 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:41 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:44 pm
Just my prejudiced opinions after sipping on some premium Valle del Elqui 45 pisco from Doña Josefa :mrgreen:
If you get a chance, try this stuff. Drinks like whisky, no additives except water needed. And it knocks your socks off.

Carén.jpg
Après moi, le déluge

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:12 pm

Im sorry, you cant call that pisco 'pisco' anymore due to international trade agreements.

Yea i think this whole mess could go away if china opened up to more foreign investment. A lot of chinese would suddendly be much richer too.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/04/america ... ficit.html

And on the other hand global gdp might take a hair cut:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/04/global- ... riffs.html

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:24 pm

Can't have a Piso from Limari, it's a brandy (oops).........same as the vodka Ciroc, made from grapes it's a brandy rebranding only goes so far.......

Trump today sad he is to busy to talk to the EU about trade as he is doing the on/off Singapore thing, like he has anything to do with planning anything....the only thing he plans is the cheeseburger at bed time.....
It's all about the wine.

at46

Post by at46 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:01 pm

admin wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:12 pm
Yea i think this whole mess could go away if china opened up to more foreign investment. A lot of chinese would suddendly be much richer too.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 'this whole mess' could go away also by the US opening up more to the Chinese investment, couldn't it? I'm sure they'd be happy to buy Qualcomm, for example.

It's a chicken and egg situation at this point.

Huelshoff

Post by Huelshoff » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:23 pm

The stupidity of Trump's trade policy is just amazing. Cathrine Rampell hits a lot of it right on the head: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... b9e58eaf2b. Even the Koch Bros are turning against his trade policy--starting a multi-million dollar campaign to keep trade free.

Its hard to understand why he is acting against his supports' best interests, except that maybe its part of an effort to divert attention away from the legal issues he faces. A lot of what I have been hearing today suggests his focus on pardons (even for himself....) is a result of Mueller drawing the noose tighter, and 99% of the docs seized in the Cohen raid will remain in the hands of the prosecutors. He needs a win badly, and I would not be surprised to see him do something desperate like kill NAFTA or pull US troops out of South Korea.