What would you want with land in Chile ?

All things related to Moving to Chile, tips, tricks, FAQS. Here is where to exchange information between those that have already moved and those planning to move to Chile so you do not need to learn the hard way. Please also check Living in Chile forum for related information.
HybridAmbassador

Re: What would you want with land in Chile ?

Post by HybridAmbassador » Thu May 31, 2018 4:13 pm

41southchile wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:51 am
HybridAmbassador wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 3:40 pm
I thought that the " EL LECHERO" did this Finca lot of his, subdivision years ago? Is this a new venture thingy going on? yeah, I'm all on this
Utopian village scheme. Go on, build that perfect loteo ..Someday wanting to slip overnight up in the tree house !
Ah, but it was me all along, EL LECHERO. I talked about it when I was still struggling away with my 100 or so cows, but then saw the light and decided there was a better way. I dont really believe in Utopia but certainly dont want to live in a dystopia, and believe in a better way of doing things or at least some form of continuous improvement.
Look forward to seeing you in the tree house, It will be built by a french carpenter, it will be open to tourists, only over one or two months per year for next 2 years, and then it will be only avaliable to residents, for a min fee to cover cleaners costs. Cost for exclusive limited time to non residents will be 200000 pesos (aprox 320 USD) per night, but if you spend at least 150 USD equivalent (or 300 USD for 2 nights) in the local village of Loncotoro or participating businesses in llanquihue and show me the reciepts, you can rent it for 20000 (32 USD) per night. Max 2 nights.
OK, El Lechero, long time in preparetion for your once "Finca grande" to be parcelled as lotes, you no longer have the 100 or so Vacas to milk them but has a large landmass for your loteos. Wishing you a lot of luck for your planned venture. When the "tree house" is built please post photos. Will call for reservation and of course will be contributing to local businesses ..
HybridAmbassador. Toyota Hybrid system for helping climate change.

passport

Post by passport » Thu May 31, 2018 7:49 pm

What is there in Loncotoro to spend money on?

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu May 31, 2018 9:07 pm

passport wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:49 pm
What is there in Loncotoro to spend money on?
There is a new shop opening, a general store/bakery/fruit&veges/hardware type thing, so that will make 2 shops, plus quite a few people sell things from home. I suppose it doesn't necessarily have to be buying something, it could be a donation to the fire brigade or local rural school, I'm still working out the finer details :D
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu May 31, 2018 9:10 pm

passport wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:51 pm
Matt - it is worth mentioning that you revised your original parcelacion layout from a grid to something more pleasing to the eye, that takes natural contours and the forest into account. Also reworked the entrance to the main road to improve visibility and safety. This is a conscientious developer, folks.
Many thanks, I guess at the end of it all it comes down to common sense a lot of time too.
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu May 31, 2018 9:12 pm

passport wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:08 pm
I have some properties in other parcelacions in the locality. One has a beautiful view and is close to amenities. Others are in a hum-drum parcelacion out near El Tepual airport. I have been impressed by the difference a strong owners' association makes. The El Tepual association is directed by a drill sergeant type woman who is an accountant. She has an assistant who takes care of the book keeping. Condo fee payment notices, community meeting agendas and meeting announcements and association finances are texted or emailed to everyone, they have a group text alert system when suspicious vehicles are seen. If the gate opener is broken or needs upgrading, everybody knows pronto and is asked to pony up. She talks tough.
Contrastingly, over near the lake, that parcelacion has a road in terrible condition. The water system was conked out for more than a month because no one would take responsibility. Likewise over in Los Bajos, a friend was ready to hook up to the new community water when the pump got damaged. It had been mishandled, so the installer washed his hands of any warranty responsibility. Nobody has come forward to straighten it out or organize the beneficiaries. A friend who was ready to move into his new casita had to put it on hold. Some community structure and organization is vital...
This is exactly the feedback I have been hearing and was looking for, thanks for that. It has helped a lot.

Julito

Post by Julito » Thu May 31, 2018 10:39 pm

Our condo of 48 1750sq mt blocks is quiet functional without a tyrant running it. A competent neutral external administrator, important, liasing with an elected 4 person committee.

passport

Post by passport » Thu May 31, 2018 10:48 pm

Another advantage to the Matt's parcelacion is that each lot has frontage on a parcelacion road. There are no "flag lots." These are often found in other penny-pinching subdivisions: lots located behind road-fronting lots, with a narrow driveway easement for access. This saves the developer money on roads but destroys privacy because most road-fronting parcelas will have somebody else's driveway along the boundary on each side.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Thu May 31, 2018 11:54 pm

Julito wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:39 pm
Our condo of 48 1750sq mt blocks is quiet functional without a tyrant running it. A competent neutral external administrator, important, liasing with an elected 4 person committee.
Sounds like its done well then, quiet and functional is good.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:35 am

I wonder if you are going to sell 1-2 lots first rather than prepare and put on the market a large number at once. That way, you can learn as you go and avoid mistakes and wasted investment upfront? You can still have a grand plan and do all the lots in the same style, just tweaking as you go.

Are you going to be a registered condominio with a gate which is guarded at least some of the time. Whatever the legalities of that, I think if you can work together as a community you can achieve more, including higher prices for the land.

If your gut feeling about someone trying to buy is bad, just trust it and don't sell to them. It only sometimes takes one bad one to fuck things up for everyone.

Electric cars - I could be wrong I'm not convinced you need a separate charging point unless the car can't be parked near the house. Just have a plug socket on the exterior of the house.

Recyling - attitudes are changing very very slowly, but for the time being I'm not convinced many people in Chile would pay for recycling. If you are going to be a condominio with gastos comunes you could make it part of that overall fee, but if it is a separate charge most people would not pay it would be guess.

I didn't read all the comments too carefully so sorry if anything already covered.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

nwdiver

Post by nwdiver » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:24 am

Sell the lots at the back of the property first so the early purchasers are out of the heavy construction traffic when the later lots are selling, this is actually a good selling point........
It's all about the wine.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:04 pm

I'll tell you what I won't be doing, is hiring promotadoras.
It is so cliche that they really don't know anything, at least give them some basic information like prices so they don't look like they are just there for the tits and ass, oh wait they are just there for that .
Sooo I went along to a real estate fair they have on in Puerto Varas this weekend. It was only a smallish thing but there were about 15 different companies there, Apartments, cookie cutter houses and Parcelas.
4000UF (about 110 million I guess) for a one bedroom apartment at the back of the building (i.e South so not much sun and no view of the lake) just because it is on the costanera in Puerto Varas. The equivalent sizes in Osorno and Puerto Montt (where there are more jobs) are about 2000 UF. So premium to say you have an apartment in Puerto Varas is about 2000UFs, although there are other factors at play, like the limited supply in Puerto Varas. Same as Frutillar 6000UF (162 million )and only 12 left in the building apparently.
Parcelas were from more of the same that I have seen elsewhere. It appears by talking to the sellers there are enough people willing to part with their money (mostly from Santiago) and investing 8 millones into ordinary looking loteos in the middle of Chiloe or on the side of the calbuco volcano (that errupted 3 years ago)
That 8million doesn't get you a water connection or electricity, but I was assured it's close to the nearest power lines and there are little springs everywhere so you can get your water from there, possibly there was a pot hole filled access road of 5 km I kind of switched off after a while, but I was assured there was so much capital gain to be made, and could even pay in 66 payments, plus they took redcompa.

Julito

Post by Julito » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:05 pm

Love it, sounds like they come across as used car salesmen attempting to separate fools from their money. Oddly though, it sounds people are buying into apartments at those prices in those locations. Culture, a far larger proportion of people from Santiago have only ever lived in apartments (similar to big city Europeans) so to lash out big bucks on a lock and leave holiday apartment as an escape destination from the rat race is seen as a step up in life.

Capital gains are normally lower with apartments because they just build more to meet the demand. It's the adjacent land which shoots up in value due to its apartment construction potential. Well located land/house with full services available will do better.

Something that might be worth considering, don't make them all 5000sq. mtr parcelas. Offer choice in lot sizes, not everybody wants to maintain 5000 sq. mts. About 4 yrs ago a well located farm on the main road between Villarrica and Pucon was subdivided into parecelas, views to the volcano and down to the lake, bitumen roads throughout and straight out onto the road. As of yet there's not one house been constructed. To be honest I don't know why, the vende signs are still there but the only thing I could think of was perhaps the blocks are too big. Or perhaps the the bloody bank got the lot!