Chile's Place in Latin America

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by 41southchile » Thu May 24, 2018 8:01 am

The British see the potential in Chile too
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chil ... SKCN1IP02A
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16819
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by admin » Thu May 24, 2018 11:46 am

I read a stat recently that suprised me.

Argentina has exactly one free trade agreement, mercosur.

Most emerging markets have on average 7.

No idea what the total is for chile, but they are prety loose with the free trade pen.

You would think that considering just due to proximity, chile would have massive cross boarder trade with argentina. Most however is fairly informal / private indivduals.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16819
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by admin » Thu May 24, 2018 11:52 am

41southchile wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:53 am
And up untill a few months ago Amazon were seriously considering Argentina, guess things have changed on the ground a bit since then.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chil ... SKCN1IN2JZ
The argentina peso collapsed, and it all happened after argentina imposed taxes on captital gains of foreigners but after argentina cinvinced amazon to invest there.

Think amazon got punked by argentina, and they are not happy about it.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

at46
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:13 pm
Location: Vancouver/Santiago

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by at46 » Thu May 24, 2018 2:49 pm

admin wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:46 am
I read a stat recently that suprised me.

Argentina has exactly one free trade agreement, mercosur.

Most emerging markets have on average 7.

No idea what the total is for chile, but they are prety loose with the free trade pen.

You would think that considering just due to proximity, chile would have massive cross boarder trade with argentina. Most however is fairly informal / private indivduals.
Argentina exports USD 2.3 billion to Chile (1.3%). Chile exports USD 807 million to Argentina (1.2%). It will grow. I mean, you couldn't find decent yerba mate in Chile a few years ago but now it's everywhere.
https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/arg/
https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/ ... stinations

User avatar
nwdiver
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 2919
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:45 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC and Chile where ever it's Summer
Contact:

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by nwdiver » Thu May 24, 2018 4:05 pm

at46 wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:49 pm
admin wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:46 am
I read a stat recently that suprised me.

Argentina has exactly one free trade agreement, mercosur.

Most emerging markets have on average 7.

No idea what the total is for chile, but they are prety loose with the free trade pen.

You would think that considering just due to proximity, chile would have massive cross boarder trade with argentina. Most however is fairly informal / private indivduals.
Argentina exports USD 2.3 billion to Chile (1.3%). Chile exports USD 807 million to Argentina (1.2%). It will grow. I mean, you couldn't find decent yerba mate in Chile a few years ago but now it's everywhere.
https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/arg/
https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/ ... stinations
I think the Argie's biggest exports to Chile are cereals and soya, things Chile doesn't produce much of, Chile uses it agrarian areas to produce high value exports, smart move.........the products Chile buys are commodities they buy because they are closer......the Argie's could sell gas to Chile but that's not happening for very silly reasons, can you say Bolivia (ok to be fair they do sell some gas.....)
It's all about the wine.

Huelshoff
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:52 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by Huelshoff » Thu May 24, 2018 4:09 pm

admin wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 11:46 am
I read a stat recently that suprised me.

Argentina has exactly one free trade agreement, mercosur.

Most emerging markets have on average 7.

No idea what the total is for chile, but they are prety loose with the free trade pen.

You would think that considering just due to proximity, chile would have massive cross boarder trade with argentina. Most however is fairly informal / private indivduals.
Its been a while since I looked, but a few years ago Chile had the most of any developing country. These are FTAs and RTAs. The difference is technical.

41southchile
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 362
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:39 pm
Location: Lakes Region

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by 41southchile » Thu May 24, 2018 7:10 pm

If it's one thing that the left and the right have had an unwritten agreement on in Chile since the return to democracy, is that foreign investment and the protection of rights for foreign investors as well as trade opportunities and argeements is fundamental for the economic and overall success of Chile. Something both Lagos and Bachelet knew very well too. You could argue that in some ways at present there is more certainty in Chile than many developed countries as to what the rules are regarding trade and investment in Chile .
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

Huelshoff
Rank: Chile Forum Citizen
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:52 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA, USA

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by Huelshoff » Thu May 24, 2018 7:23 pm

Spot on, in all regards. It may have its roots in the dictatorship, but that elite consensus on liberal market policy remains strong. Its even more noticeable in comparison to most other Latin American countries. The central bank has also been important. Looking at the US, I'd have agree that Chile is more predictable. At least Chilean policy makers understand the basics of trade and finance as they work in the world today.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16819
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by admin » Fri May 25, 2018 8:55 am

The last few years chile was importing lng gas, and reselling it to argentina because argentina's gas industry was such a mess after christian expropriated a bunch of companies.

Still my point remains a couple billion dollars in trade mas o menos, with a direct neighbor is stupidly small. Chile and argentina should be doing more trade than the pacific alliance countries. Hell, if they could pull their own political mess together, they should be part of the pacific alliance.

Chilean companies are expanding heavily in to peru, colombia, and mexico; while most chilean companies seem to be hanging on to their positions in argentina because there is no good way to get out of their legacy investments, but very few talk about increasing investment. In fact, i tend to stay away from any company that talks about increasing investment in argentina, because it makes me question what else the manegment is screwing up.

All of it comes down to politics. If the country in latin america has a fragil political system that major policy swings around in the breeze with each headline and electiin, then their economy will never stabilize.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16819
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by admin » Fri May 25, 2018 10:09 am

Case in point, cencusud has been getting wacked by their argentina imvestment for years now. Of course they got other issues.

http://www.latercera.com/pulso/noticia/ ... zo/178375/
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16819
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by admin » Fri May 25, 2018 2:18 pm

Here is why bolivia will never be a contender in the lithium market, and pretty much every other market:

http://www.americasquarterly.org/conten ... ermany-pay
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 16819
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:02 pm
Location: Frutillar, Chile
Contact:

Re: Chile's Place in Latin America

Post by admin » Sat May 26, 2018 10:40 am

Colombia has been accepted to the oecd

http://www.financecolombia.com/joining- ... omic-club/

Colombia, in spite a few reservations aboit log-term stability, is a country that strikes me as a rising star. It has a lot of potential.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

Post Reply