renewing US passport by mail

General topics related to Living in Chile
thisisreallycomplicated

Re: renewing US passport by mail

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:15 pm

mem wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:07 am
I sent in a passport for renewal via dhl with a return awb. The website says 2-3 weeks to get the renewal. Does anyone have experience with mail in US passport renewals in terms of actual time it took to get it back?
I thought the website said 3-4 weeks, at least for normal processing times. I don't know if there's an expedited option though. And I think the state.gov website said something like 6 weeks, if you do it from inside the US. But I don't know from personal experience, since I'm just doing it now for the first time.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

mem

Post by mem » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Got a US passport renewed by mail

The website says 2-3 weeks. The embassy is actually really fast. The time they take is actually just 1-2 weeks in this most recent experience

The long poles are DHL. So for them to send you the new passport back to wherever you live you HAVE to use a prepaid DHL AWB airbill. DHL is slow.
The embassy shipped the passport via my prepaid DHL airbill and it took 5 days to get from santiago to region 9. Since I had to travel to a nearby city to actually find a DHL office, I made the small mistake of sending the passport and prepaid return DHL airbill via DHL to get there as well. So I figure it took 4-5 days just for the embassy to receive it and then 4-5 days to get the new one back

There was some time sensitivity due to a family members visa and for which i was renewing the passport...if I were to do this over again. I would have bought the DHL return airbill and then chilexpress'd everything to the embassy (Next day service everywhere in chile.)

Still...for the embassy. Stunning service and turnaround time. Now if only Chile could process visas in a couple/few weeks....

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:10 pm

Thank you for the update.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:32 pm

mem wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:03 pm

The website says 2-3 weeks. The embassy is actually really fast. The time they take is actually just 1-2 weeks in this most recent experience
Did you renew an adult passport by mail, with form DS-82? And was it expedited, or just normal processing?

I just checked the website here (renewing an adult passport by mail, with DS-82):
https://cl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... -passport/
and it says: "Mail-in Passport renewals take 3-4 weeks, so plan your travel accordingly."

But here (renew passport for a minor, probably DS-11):
https://cl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... rs-age-16/
it says: "Passport Book renewal takes 2-3 weeks, so plan your travels accordingly."

Either way, that's great news that they aren't taking too long. I was worried it might be more than 4 weeks.
mem wrote:
The long poles are DHL. So for them to send you the new passport back to wherever you live you HAVE to use a prepaid DHL AWB airbill. DHL is slow.
The embassy shipped the passport via my prepaid DHL airbill and it took 5 days to get from santiago to region 9. Since I had to travel to a nearby city to actually find a DHL office, I made the small mistake of sending the passport and prepaid return DHL airbill via DHL to get there as well. So I figure it took 4-5 days just for the embassy to receive it and then 4-5 days to get the new one back
Did DHL deliver it directly to you, or did you have to pick it up at their office? According to my AWB, it looks like I have to pick it up at the DHL office.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

mem

Post by mem » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:00 am

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:32 pm
mem wrote:

Did you renew an adult passport by mail, with form DS-82? And was it expedited, or just normal processing?

I just checked the website here (renewing an adult passport by mail, with DS-82):
and it says: "Mail-in Passport renewals take 3-4 weeks, so plan your travel accordingly."

it says: "Passport Book renewal takes 2-3 weeks, so plan your travels accordingly."

Either way, that's great news that they aren't taking too long. I was worried it might be more than 4 weeks.
mem wrote:
Did DHL deliver it directly to you, or did you have to pick it up at their office? According to my AWB, it looks like I have to pick it up at the DHL office.
The second link that says 2-3 weeks was the one I went by...never saw the other link. Not sure why there are two pages that seem to contradict each other. At any rate this page seems to be the accurate one
https://cl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... -16-older/

Yes, used from DS82...there was not option for normal or expedited...I think that is only stateside or perhaps if you go to the embassy in person. Mailing it in from within chile to the embassy seems to have only one speed

Yes, DHL delivered it directly to the address I indicated. The closest DHL office (more of a closet really) is 2 hours away by bus so it was the suck enough to have to go there to get the airbill...so glad I didnt have to go back

BTW..it took an hour for DHL to process everything when I went there. I don't know why it was so hard for them, but I was standing at the window for a really really long time. Lady was just staring intently at the screen, punching keys, having me sign things, asking me questions, confirming X was right, etc. So long that all the chileans waiting in line behind me were getting all pissy. Not exaggerating..an hour

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:46 am

mem wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:00 am
BTW..it took an hour for DHL to process everything when I went there. I don't know why it was so hard for them, but I was standing at the window for a really really long time. Lady was just staring intently at the screen, punching keys, having me sign things, asking me questions, confirming X was right, etc. So long that all the chileans waiting in line behind me were getting all pissy. Not exaggerating..an hour
Possibly chatting in Facebook! Is an epidemic.I have seen some of them instead of doing their job.
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:12 am

mem wrote:
thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:32 pm
mem wrote:

mem wrote:
The second link that says 2-3 weeks was the one I went by...never saw the other link. Not sure why there are two pages that seem to contradict each other. At any rate this page seems to be the accurate one
https://cl.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... -16-older/

Yes, used from DS82...there was not option for normal or expedited...I think that is only stateside or perhaps if you go to the embassy in person. Mailing it in from within chile to the embassy seems to have only one speed
It sounds like you did what I'm doing, so hopefully mine will be just as quick.
mem wrote:
Yes, DHL delivered it directly to the address I indicated. The closest DHL office (more of a closet really) is 2 hours away by bus so it was the suck enough to have to go there to get the airbill...so glad I didnt have to go back

I had similar problems. The girl at DHL didn't know what I was asking for (my horrible Spanish didn't help), even though I printed out the stuff from the embassy's website in Spanish. There was someone there whose English wasn't too bad, so she helped translate. And the girl finally gave me something, before everyone in line behind me got too irritated. It probably took about 20 minutes, so not as bad as yours. But she said it couldn't be addressed to my house, so I have to pick it up at their office. I didn't have much confidence that I got the right thing, so I called DHL and emailed a photocopy to the embassy, and both said it should be ok. But now I'm thinking I should check on that address thing, because the embassy wouldn't have known it wasn't mine. And the AWB says "Content: PREPAGO VISA" which doesn't sound right. I don't care if I need to pay for another AWB. I just want to avoid any problems.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:50 pm

mem wrote:
Did DHL put your home address on your prepaid AWB, when you bought it? Or did they put the DHL office's address on it, and then it somehow got changed when the embassy used it to send your passport back to you? I'm asking because the girl at DHL said she couldn't put my home address on the AWB. And the embassy just emailed me back, and said to use my home address as my mailing address on form DS82, regardless of what address I give the DHL staff. Thanks.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:46 pm

I just called the DHL customer support, and it sounds like I need a new AWB. So I need to go back to the same DHL office. Talk to the same girl who didn't know what I was talking about last time. And hope for a different result :?

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Does anyone here know if you need to write your name on the back of your passport photos? They used to require you to staple your photo to form DS82 (the form still has those instructions on it), but the embassy told me not to staple, and they will do it for me. So now I'm wondering if there's another requirement, in case your pictures get separated from your application. I tried writing very lightly on the back of one with a ball point pen, but the indentations show through on the other side. Otherwise, I'd just do it. Thanks.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:28 pm

When I did mine in person at the Imperial Embassy in Santiasco, my photos were loose with no name on them and they accepted it.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:45 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:28 pm
When I did mine in person at the Imperial Embassy in Santiasco, my photos were loose with no name on them and they accepted it.
I don't think it's a requirement, in this case (at least, not yet). But I might still do it, if I can find something that won't ruin the photos.