Transferring money

Chile Investment, how to invest in Chile, what to watch out for when investing, economic issues, currency exchange in Chile, and more.
Space Cat

Re: Transferring money

Post by Space Cat » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Britkid wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:37 pm
Noticed some changes today on transferwise. The main one was $500 limit for Chile for daily transaction.
I got a reply from the support: the $500/day limit is temporary, their Chilean bank has some technical difficulties.

MrDuck

Post by MrDuck » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:38 pm

Depending on how often/much you are transferring Lloyds International Bank (UK) are pretty good, there is a month fee to have the account unless you keep large sum always in the account. The account can be in GBP, USD and EUR. I pay all associated fees from my USD account to arrive here in the account in Chile (about 20GBP), if you don't pay the receiving account fees Banco Chile charges a huge amount (over 100GBP). Spoke to a Lloyds adviser who told me they have some of the best internal banking deals and that's why it's so low.

Also worth checking out, Halifax bank, Clarity credit card (UK). They don't charge for ATM withdraws abroad and their rates are always pretty good, its worked well for me worldwide for cash and paying for goods.

Moneycorp is another company people in the UK have recommended to me but CLP isn't listed on their currencies... shame when you see the benefits transferring to other country's

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:35 pm

Chilean banks are now closing accounts and denying transfers to crypto-currency exchange companies:
http://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/econ ... icot.shtml

papageno

Post by papageno » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:14 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:02 pm
Britkid wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:37 pm
Noticed some changes today on transferwise. The main one was $500 limit for Chile for daily transaction.
I got a reply from the support: the $500/day limit is temporary, their Chilean bank has some technical difficulties.
It's up to about $600 US now, with about a 2% fee. As of this week...
Nice to be able use my debit card--vastly cheaper than a wire transfer.

thisisreallycomplicated

Post by thisisreallycomplicated » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:15 am

Space Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:32 pm
Is it currently possible to get a foreign wire transfer on a cuenta vista like BCI Nova or BancoCrediChile or some other? Or it's still a corriente-only privilege?
I know this is an old question. But I'm looking at this from Banco Estado, and I think it says you can:
http://www.bancoestado.cl/imagenes/_per ... -chile.asp

I don't know the costs or limits yet.
“Now it’s conspiracy – they’ve made that something that should not even be entertained for a minute, that powerful people might get together and have a plan. Doesn’t happen, you’re a kook, you’re a conspiracy buff!” – George Carlin

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:26 pm

thisisreallycomplicated wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:15 am
Space Cat wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:32 pm
Is it currently possible to get a foreign wire transfer on a cuenta vista like BCI Nova or BancoCrediChile or some other? Or it's still a corriente-only privilege?
I know this is an old question. But I'm looking at this from Banco Estado, and I think it says you can:
http://www.bancoestado.cl/imagenes/_per ... -chile.asp

I don't know the costs or limits yet.
Yep, got a $4k wire last year to Cuenta Ahorros in Banco Estado and then a $1.5k one to CuentaRUT, both from a Chinese client. No documents were requested but the exchange rate was bad, something like 2-3% + a fixed fee.

mem

Post by mem » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:22 pm

Space Cat wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:35 pm
Chilean banks are now closing accounts and denying transfers to crypto-currency exchange companies:
http://www.biobiochile.cl/noticias/econ ... icot.shtml
Technically it was 2 or 3 banks specifically blocking the accounts of 2 or 3 chilean crypto exchanges. The impact was not directly against individuals accounts, however since that articles was published in March the exchanges got the blocks overturned so they are all working again anyway

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:11 pm

Got this message today on Transferwise.

Sorry, we can not send money to Cuenta Vista accounts in Chile at the moment. We are working to get this changed soon.

Cuenta Vista would include Cuenta RUT.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:52 am

Not really a transferwise link..... But bank of Chile had 10 million USD stolen through a cyberattack that happened about 10 days ago, they only realised, or released info to public over the weekend.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-chil ... SKBN1J72FC
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:01 am

There's quite a bit about it online, I just put in bank of Chile attack and there's a few stories there, apparently I heard on the Radio they did it through the swift system.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/1 ... berheaist/
In the Lakes Region Chile for 6 years. It looks like New Zealand in some ways, and is nearly at the bottom of the world too, but there the similarities end.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:45 am

They are not saying it (or too incompetent to know), but in security circles it is pretty obvious what happened. It was part of a cordinated attack on mexican banks that happened at about the same time. They were probably using the same software or third-party service provider.

The key charteristic of the mexican hacks was there were insiders assisting.

Which i always find it amazing that considering how i have to stand on my head in three lines, talk to five people, and spend an hour at the bank signing crap, to clear even the smalest wire, that someone was able to remotly initiate a wire. Why does a hacker on the other side the world get faster and more efficient service than i do?

Thus, why i think there were live people inside banco de chile helping, but they are not talking avout it or do not know.
Spencer Global Chile: Legal, relocation, and Investment assistance in Chile.
For more information visit: https://www.spencerglobal.com

From USA and outside Chile dial 1-917-727-5985 (U.S.), in Chile dial 65 2 42 1024 or by cell 747 97974.

41southchile

Post by 41southchile » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:02 am

admin wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:45 am
They are not saying it (or too incompetent to know), but in security circles it is pretty obvious what happened. It was part of a cordinated attack on mexican banks that happened at about the same time. They were probably using the same software or third-party service provider.

The key charteristic of the mexican hacks was there were insiders assisting.

Which i always find it amazing that considering how i have to stand on my head in three lines, talk to five people, and spend an hour at the bank signing crap, to clear even the smalest wire, that someone was able to remotly initiate a wire. Why does a hacker on the other side the world get faster and more efficient service than i do?

Thus, why i think there were live people inside banco de chile helping, but they are not talking avout it or do not know.
That would make sense, it wouldnt be ususual in Chile (and probably most other places) that it was an inside job, I often see big robberies on in reports online, like armoured cars and things here probably 90 percent tend to be inside jobs.
When I first heard of the BancodeChile guy being interviewed after it first happened, he sounded absolutely clueless describing it as a virus that was affecting staff computers, maybe that was intentional to stop customers panicking or maybe it wasnt