US cell phone use

Chile related Travel issues, where to go and not to go, what it cost, and anything else to get you there and back in ALL OF CHILE.
sundrop

US cell phone use

Post by sundrop » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 pm

Sorry if this has been asked too many times. Traveling next month - after 40 years, finally visiting my wife's relations in Quellon, Chiloe, etc. We will be: Using our US cell phones - AT&T, will not be registering and getting local SIM, so only use for talk & text, online only with wifi.
Asking: 1. How to call back to the US? - 2. How do people in US call our phones while in Chile? - 3. How to call a Chilean phone while we are in Chile? - 4. How do Chileans call our phones while we are there?
Plenty of usually confusing and/or contradictory posts on these in Tripadvisor and elsewhere, so I appreciate any solid info.
Who knows, the way things are regressing here in the US, we may take advantage of my wife's eligibility for Chilean citizenship!

Zenth

Re: US cell phone use

Post by Zenth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:22 pm

Go on AT&T's web site. Usually you have to access a local company first. It's just a matter of dialing a few numbers.
Consider buying a cheap phone or a local SIM for local calls and texts. Phone charges add up fast. You may also pay both ways internationally. Think of all the folks who will call you and think you're home. It'll cost you 2 bucks to hang up on them.Hopefully, the more technically advanced members can offer more specific advice.
Have fun.

Gloria

Post by Gloria » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:52 pm

Have you thought of downloading Whatsapp? If you are in Facebook get the messenger for smartphone or Skype....all free! There are also phones (called open) with dual sim card from Blue company sold in Walmart. Lots of possibilities. I talk and see my loved ones in the US for hours!
I'm from the generation of common sense, wisdom and unfiltered answers. I sayeth as I seeth.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:43 pm

Preface, I have a USA AT&T SIM/phone.

First verify that you have activated international use with customer service or online.

1. How to call back to the US?

Always use international dialing protocols - use the + symbol, country code (1 for USA) and then the number.

2. How do people in US call our phones while in Chile?

By dialing your number normally and you will pay an arm and a leg for that call.

3. How to call a Chilean phone while we are in Chile?

Always use international dialing protocols - use the + symbol, country code (56 for Chile) and then the number. You will pay an arm and a leg for that call.

4. How do Chileans call our phones while we are there?

They are screwed as they will be charged an arm and a leg to make that "long distance" call and then you will be screwed when you pick up that call.

There are "plan$" for international u$e, but see below:

BTW, the registration rule has been cancelled through March 27, 2018 and then easier rules will be in place (supposedly).

It would be in your best interest to get a Chile SIM assuming your phone is unlocked (I believe you can demand and receive the codes if you have been a contractural customer for a year).
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:51 pm

Another note: it was my USA AT&T SIM that allowed me to send an I'm OK via SMS in the hours after the February 27, 2010 megaquake to my now wife in Santiago and my Mom in the States whereas Movistar and the whole spectrum of Chilean companies were down, dead or overwhelmed.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

papageno

Post by papageno » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:02 am

Any Verizon users out there?

sundrop

Post by sundrop » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:34 pm

Thanks everyone! A huge help, plus the government suspending the registration rule is great news!

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:01 am

I have a Google Voice number that people in the US can call. I also use it to call US phone numbers. It works great with no charge. You just need to have WiFi or data. When I first arrived in Chile, I was using Google Project Fi which worked on arrival. I didn't have buy a SIM. I think cell calls were only 16 cents/min. Data was $10/Gb. I think T-Mobile has the same type of international plan.

sundrop

Post by sundrop » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:48 pm

I ended up paying the $60 for AT&T passport for a month. Our normal number, .35/minute talk, unlimited text, and 1gb data. Should get us by. And installed Whatsapp to communicate with 6 Airbnb hosts. Should work for us - thanks for the feedback!

mem

Post by mem » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:20 pm

Tmobile has an awesome international plan that will let you use internet data unlimited, but if you try doing it for more than a couple months they put the smack down on ya

Dosedmonkey

Post by Dosedmonkey » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:00 am

If its only for a week get watsapp and skype. Then buy a sim card here for 3.000 peso, and then 1GB data for 30 days is 5.000 peso, with Entel this is. Worked well for the few weeks I have been here working.