Paying The Bills

General topics related to Living in Chile
Britkid

Re: Paying The Bills

Post by Britkid » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:59 pm

eeuunikkeiexpat wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:59 pm
So 7 minutes vs. living life getting reamed? Not even a borderline logical choice question.
7 minutes is pretty good. I'd say mine is more like 30 minutes a month. Still, I think 30 minutes a month is low enough where's it not worth spending time trying to reduce it.

OK, probably not worth auto pay either.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

tiagoabner

Post by tiagoabner » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:25 pm

It's those "rare" cases of companies trying to mess up with you that makes me not use auto pay. The closest Banco Estado is 3 blocks away, so I just deposit at their ATM and pay everything through Servipag. 15 minutes of my time once per month is well worth not giving a chance for someone to screw up things somewhere.

I also avoid using Webpay with my foreign credit card. It behaves weirdly, when it even works at all.

eeuunikkeiexpat
Location: Megalith of unknown origin near my digs, south V Region coast

Post by eeuunikkeiexpat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:38 pm

I would never use a foreign card with WebPay to pay Chile utilities or other products or services.

But my score with WebPay whether via ServiPag or the utility company website is 99.99% after perhaps 7 years using my BancoEstado CuentaRUT account. In all those years, there was just one hiccup with EsVal the water company which was resolved with one visit to the local office.

Transfers via CuentaRUT to other Chile accounts, 0 problems in that time.

I am continually amazed by the instant and problem fee nature of Chile's interbank transfer system.
Generally, just a SPAM KILLER. You are on your own in this forum. My personal mission here is done.

BUT when necessary, by way of ridicule and truth revelation we shalt do war.

--eeuunikkeiexpat

Donnybrook

Post by Donnybrook » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:03 pm

>>I certainly did not request any auto pay.<<

I think you have to request it, it can't be imposed. You must have ticked some box. Insurance is easy on auto-pay as the amount varies so little. Electricity can vary a lot from month to month.

I am glad you would write off a 20,000 peso mistake. Most of my bills don't reach that amount so, yes, I would be seriously pissed off.

Britkid

Post by Britkid » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:04 pm

Webpay with foreign cards is a disaster. I sometimes got it to work after trying 3 or 4 different cards.
In 2014/2015 I blogged about my life in Chile. http://web.archive.org/web/201601121940 ... age_id=268

mikecdw

Post by mikecdw » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:10 am

Britkid wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:04 pm
Webpay with foreign cards is a disaster. I sometimes got it to work after trying 3 or 4 different cards.
I usually pay for our monthly car insurance payment through BCI Seguros via WebPay with my American credit cards. Often it takes a few tries before it goes through.

However, this last month, I tried 15 times with various cards and none were successful. But then I noticed that 4 of those attempts did get charged to my American accounts, even though none were credited against my insurance payment....

What I think happened is the insurance company's website wasn't waiting long enough for the response from WebPay, so it assumed the payment failed.

So.. I second the warning about using WebPay...
--
Mike W.
La Serena

Space Cat

Post by Space Cat » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:48 pm

Everybody with a national ID can get a CuentaRUT card, fund it via Transferwise, and use RedCompra with WebPay. It works almost flawlessly for any payments under CL$200,000.

Just don't forget to call to a BancoEstado number to confirm your "security information" before paying online for the first time (see it in the "Transferencias" section of your online bank).